ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

Mark Hanson-2

Hi Folk's,

Since I finished the EV part of my EV (74' Karmann Ghia with 36ea CALB-130's), I've been migrating to the mechanical stuff.  the tranny is hard shifting while moving, clutch new and the adapter has been to the machine shop twice.  It has a second junk yard tranny after AAMCO trashed the first one.  A tranny guy told me to try Lucas transmission fix before buying a rebuilt bug tranny for $600.  The stuff is like molassas, took me hours to dribble in a quart.  Any ideas on hard shifting?  It shifts ok when parked, just moving is the problem and has new linkage, shifter & plate.

The other little thing is wheel alignment, the two in is OK at 1/8" but the rear caster/camber is off (per alignment shop that gave up) and there's *no* adjustment.  Is there a way to set the camber on a Karmann Ghia?  The rear tires are kicked out at the bottom about 2" with respect to the top.  I suppose frequent tire rotation would be the cheesey fix :-)

Have an aligned day,
mark
www.REEVA.info community service RE & EV's

Re: ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

Willie2
On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:17:43PM -0400, Mark Hanson wrote:
> The other little thing is wheel alignment, the two in is OK at 1/8" but the rear caster/camber is off (per alignment shop that gave up) and there's *no* adjustment.  Is there a way to set the camber on a Karmann Ghia?  The rear tires are kicked out at the bottom about 2" with respect to the top.  I suppose frequent tire rotation would be the cheesey fix :-)

Assuming you have the old trailing arm rear suspension, and it sounds
like you do, the trailing arms are splined on to torsion bars and all
you need to do is shift the arm one (or two) splines on the torsion
bar.  I seem to recall that each end of the torsion bars have a
different number of spines so it may be possible to make an adjustment
finer than one spline.  I recommend being VERY careful to mark things
so you know where the original position is.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

corbin dunn

On May 1, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Willie McKemie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:17:43PM -0400, Mark Hanson wrote:
>> The other little thing is wheel alignment, the two in is OK at 1/8" but the rear caster/camber is off (per alignment shop that gave up) and there's *no* adjustment.  Is there a way to set the camber on a Karmann Ghia?  The rear tires are kicked out at the bottom about 2" with respect to the top.  I suppose frequent tire rotation would be the cheesey fix :-)
>
> Assuming you have the old trailing arm rear suspension, and it sounds
> like you do, the trailing arms are splined on to torsion bars and all
> you need to do is shift the arm one (or two) splines on the torsion
> bar.  I seem to recall that each end of the torsion bars have a
> different number of spines so it may be possible to make an adjustment
> finer than one spline.  I recommend being VERY careful to mark things
> so you know where the original position is.

Yeah, here's a video of how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMxBolHOJR4

corbin

On May 1, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Mark Hanson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folk's,
>
> Since I finished the EV part of my EV (74' Karmann Ghia with 36ea CALB-130's), I've been migrating to the mechanical stuff.  the tranny is hard shifting while moving, clutch new and the adapter has been to the machine shop twice.  It has a second junk yard tranny after AAMCO trashed the first one.  A tranny guy told me to try Lucas transmission fix before buying a rebuilt bug tranny for $600.  The stuff is like molassas, took me hours to dribble in a quart.  Any ideas on hard shifting?  It shifts ok when parked, just moving is the problem and has new linkage, shifter & plate.

It sounds like the shift cable isn't adjusted right; try tightening it (my tranny has a spin nut where it connects to the tranny). I'm guessing it isn't disengaging the clutch all the way, making it hard to shift while spinning.

corbin

> The other little thing is wheel alignment, the two in is OK at 1/8" but the rear caster/camber is off (per alignment shop that gave up) and there's *no* adjustment.  Is there a way to set the camber on a Karmann Ghia?  The rear tires are kicked out at the bottom about 2" with respect to the top.  I suppose frequent tire rotation would be the cheesey fix :-)
>
> Have an aligned day,
> mark
> www.REEVA.info community service RE & EV's

Re: ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

David Dymaxion
I had a car where the tranny shaft and pilot bushing had galled and gave similar symptoms. I put in a new pilot bushing and polished the tranny shaft where it goes into the pilot bearing and then shifting was beautiful.

Some Porsche guys swear by Swepco 201 tranny fluid to fix difficult shifting.

________________________________
... the tranny is hard shifting while moving, clutch new and the adapter has been to the machine shop twice.  It has a second junk yard tranny after AAMCO trashed the first one.  A tranny guy told me to try Lucas transmission fix before buying a rebuilt bug tranny for $600.  The stuff is like molassas, took me hours to dribble in a quart. ...

Re: ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

Cruisin
If your VW tranny shifts fine at rest, bust doesnt when moving you have a defective syncro. I have found the best solution for the VW is remove clutch shifter and go clutchless in 2nd gear only. Dont neet shift that puppy as it will be running about 4k rpm at 55mph which is just about right. Unless you have a small motor, a VW takes off fine in 2nd gear. Clutchless is less noisy and vibration free. Been there and done it all in a 1070 VW now with over 25k miles with a AC-50..

Re: ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

Mark Grasser
Not always the syncros, many times it is simply a dragging clutch. This is
most common when the disc is new and still has a soft surface. It will wear
away with time.

Sincerely,
Mark Grasser

Re: ELEC KAR: Karmann Ghia now mechanical stuff help

Jay Donnaway

HI Mark,

An oft-neglected piece in aircooled VWs that is critical for smooth shifting is the plastic shift rod bushing that is completely hidden from view inside the tunnel, a couple of inches behind the shifter.
PM me or consult your Big Blue Bentley manual for details.

Jay Donnaway
www.karmanneclectric.blogspot.com