EMI suppression in EVs, The easy way

Mark Hanson-2

Hi,

I noticed a few emails on RF interference suppression for radio AM reception.

I run my for & aft battery cables ty-rapped tied together underneath the car on the non-antennae side (usually drivers side).  I run all my control wires tied together underneath the passenger, right side.

Keep the controller to motor leads *short* about 1 foot, as short as possible.

Put a pi filter on the dc-dc converter output and a hash choke on the input and stick it as far away from the radio as possible (like in the rear trunk where mine is).

Then you can listen to AM radio fine but I usually listen to NPR on FM anyway.

I also run my controller at 1.5kHz which may also help (mainly to minimize road kill), the controller runs cold, very little switching losses with 1200A IGBT's (twin 600A).

Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/