EV RV trailer?

Forget that solar trailer lunacy... what I want to build is an RV trailer
for the BOLT.

I want to add a complex sliding panel system to streamline the car with the
trailer so that they become one for aerodynimics, but can make a reasonable
turn and handle dips in the road too.

By eliminating most of the aerodynamic trailer drag at the discontinuity
between car and trailer and letting the end of the trailer end in a
teardrop I think a very significant decrease in aerodynamic load can be
achieved.

I am sure that no one can build these commercially because there are surely
all kinds of standards and requirements that simply do not allow it.

But a home built can probably get away with it most of the time.

Anyway, something to think about someday.

bob
WB4APR

Re: EV RV trailer?

Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
> Forget that solar trailer lunacy... what I want to build is an RV trailer
> for the BOLT.
>
> I want to add a complex sliding panel system to streamline the car with the
> trailer so that they become one for aerodynimics, but can make a reasonable
> turn and handle dips in the road too.

That does sound challenging. I wonder if it might be easier to build the
trailer so you back the Bolt into it with its rear wheels inside the
trailer (not on the ground). Then lock the Car in place. Remove the back
tires from the car for ground clearance, and so it still sits level to
have proper front wheel alignment. Now you have a 4-wheel motor home. :-)

Still a lot of work.

I've thought about this sort of thing, too. I think a better approach
would be the one that Dave Peterson used to build the Ultravan motor
home. He was an aircraft designer, so he built his motor home out of
sheet aluminum, riveted together. It looked like the fuselage of an
airplane; very light and streamlined. Then he removed the drive train
from a Chevy Corvair, and mounted them in the Ultravan. The end result
was an aerodynamic 22' motor home that weighed about the same and got
the same gas mileage as the Corvair donor car.

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/ultravan/

Do the same sort of thing, but use a Bolt or your favorite car as a donor.

--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all
our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory,

Re: EV RV trailer?

Actually, I just remembered my dad's ONE=WHEEL trailer.  That was rigid to
the car and could then only have to articulate vertically... but then
having a high wheel and suspension in the middle of the RV space is a
downer...

I wonder what the laws are on those?  You couls really smak some things
during a slow sharp turn if it was too long.

Bob