EV legislation/ rules / incentives

Peter Gabrielsson
Greetings fellow EVers,

Suppose you had the chance to affect legislation regarding electric
vehicles. What laws/incentives would you like to see put in place to
further the adoption of plugin vehicles and required infrastructure?
The flip side to that question; what existing laws/incentives would
you like to see undone.

/Peter

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

Ruspert
This post was updated on .
There are at present enough incentitives and the laws are adequate to my satisfaction.

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

EVDL Administrator
On 28 Feb 2009 at 13:32, someone wrote:

> Government intrusion is not welcome.

Folks, this is a potentially interesting discussion, if IMO perhaps somewhat
less than effectual because we have relatively little chance of actually
influencing legislation (AFAIK, there's essentially no effective EV lobby).

However, please be careful to avoid emotionally loaded comments like the one
above.  It's enough to say "the current legislative incentives are
sufficient."

For that matter, if you think legislation (including what exists now) is
counterproductive, then explain why -- in rational terms.

We also don't need or want rants in the other direction.

Using hot-button phrases like "government intrusion" -- or, for that matter,
"our do nothing congress" and "best legislators oil money can buy" -- risks
polarizing the list membership into left and right columns.  When that
happens the discussion is over and we're on to bickering.

We get enough of that emotional manipulation from the political ads and
newsertainment channels.  Let's be conscious of their bad example and avoid
it here, please.

Thanks.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

Peter Gabrielsson wrote:
> Suppose you had the chance to affect legislation regarding electric
> vehicles. What laws/incentives would you like to see put in place to
> further the adoption of plugin vehicles and required infrastructure?
> The flip side to that question; what existing laws/incentives would
> you like to see undone.

I would prefer that there be a new category of motor vehicle, in between
a full-function car and an NEV. It has a lower top speed, and reduced
safety requirements and equipment. For example, a 45 mph top speed, 4
passengers max, 2000 lbs curb weight max. Must have very low emissions
by whatever means manufacturers can devise.

The goal is a small, cheap clean car that is safe enough for urban
driving. I happen to think making it electric would be best, but let the
market decide.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

robert winfield

Like a CitiCar perhaps?

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

Bob Rice-2

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

CHARLIEP
Try www.robert c riley .com 3 wheels ,classified motorcycle. I am currently building two of them, also in process of building a web site.
robert winfield wrote
Like a CitiCar perhaps?

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

Randy Kramer
On Saturday 28 February 2009 11:52 pm, Charlie P wrote:
> Try www.robert c riley .com 3 wheels ,classified motorcycle. I am
currently
> building two of them, also in process of building a web site.

Sorry, don't quite understand your response:

Did you mean http://rqriley.com?  (Google didn't show a robert c riley
or a robertcriley site that I could find.)

And were you specifically referring to the page on "Licensing And
Insuring Homebuilt Vehicles": http://www.rqriley.com/license.htm, or
something else?

What change in legislation / rules / incentives are you suggesting?

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

robert winfield

Coulomb technologies (not public yet) card swipe pay plug in for EV's.
solar "trees" in Berlin for charging
(I think this was in Current EVents mag recently)

> Suppose you had the chance to affect legislation regarding electric
> vehicles. What laws/incentives would you like to see put in place to
> further the adoption of plugin vehicles and required infrastructure?
> The flip side to that question; what existing laws/incentives would
> you like to see undone.
>
> /Peter
  Hi EVerybody;

  Funny ya should bring it up?We're talking about WHAT OUR EAA chapter can
do. I mean other than "Show and Tells EVerywhere we go, car shows, Cruise
Nites, stuff like that. We wanna go deeper; Maybe by TRYING to wrangle
legislation, or better term, invcentives for biz's to put in plugs for the
coming wave of EVers? What's in it for Joe Blow , manager of the local
Stupermarket to put us in a few plugs, at least a 120 volter or so? Or,
Gasp! A 240 volt 50 amper?As 120 volts plugs ARE pretty common , as an EVer
I have gotten good at sniffing them out in my travels, but with todaze
electricity prices you are a tad reluctant to just steal it?ASK? Yeah! Go
for it, and YOU get a warm warm, when the plug owners sez sure, and wants a
ride/look at yur EV? See "Show an' Tell.

    Could/would towns and cities go for Public Plugs?I don't think there
would be very much Electric consumption? IF it was an issue we could deal
with it with evolving technology? Swipe cards, coin op, like a parking
meter?Drop in a quarter and get a half hour?But IF it were to catch on, ya
KNOW restaurants, theaters, stores would throw" Free Charging for our EV
Customers" lines in their ads?

   Sooooooooo, in Bob's Perfect World, of plenty, where we all live in
Fantesy Land (Sorry, Walt Dizzy) With no big wants, all needs covered?Our
tax structure would give incentives to get charging installed? Hey! I
didn't
get into WHAT plug to use? But ya heard my arguments about that in the last
few weaks? At BBB there were serious people with intreaging setups, shovel,
and cable crimper ready.Just Ask.

    Seeya

    Bob

> --
> www.electric-lemon.com

Re: EV legislation/ rules / incentives

Mike Golub-2
Both Senators from my state were interested in this Mid range speed vehicle.
I was wondering if we ever got organized we could all contact our
legislators and push for the same thing.

thanks
Mike