EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

Hi folks,
Dave posted my trailer wiring for the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Y (I assume other Tesla tail light access is similar)
On www.EVDL.org/lib/mh.  I accessed the #24 tiny wiring on the left tail light of my Tesla Y by pealing back the rubber and left trunk side snap panel, then pulling off the LED light connector to access the brake lights, left turn , running nighttime lights and GND return.  I cut the wires and lengthened them while tapping off with #22 wire soldered and heat shrink back, used multi conductor wire with sheath routed inside the spare tire channel to the hitch area where I added 4 mixing diodes.  The right tail light was just a Single tap on the red wire for right signal.  Don’t forget to change your trailer lights to LED so you don’t get a nasty surprise when you hook up the 4 pin flat connector.  I bought the trailer hitch from etrailer.com specifically for the Y and fit great but not a peep on how to wire the lights.  Same thing with the Chevy Bolt but had to dig into the upper hatch wiring harness to access the wiring, a bit more difficult.  My trailer light current is about 30ma instead of 4A for turn/brakes.
Have a renewable energy day
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Re: EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

Those LED's must not be very bright. 13V x .03A= .39W

Maybe you meant 300ma?

Al

Alan Arrison via EV wrote:
> Those LED's must not be very bright. 13V x .03A= .39W
>
> Maybe you meant 300ma?

I dunno. Modern LEDs can be *very* bright at 30ma!

Lee

--
All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's

On 03/31/2021 20:06, Lee Hart via EV wrote:
> Alan Arrison via EV wrote:
>> Those LED's must not be very bright. 13V x .03A= .39W
>>
>> Maybe you meant 300ma?
>
> I dunno. Modern LEDs can be *very* bright at 30ma!
>
> Lee

Agreed that a single LED with 30mA is very bright.  However a tail light
is not a single point of light.  It's an array with a bunch of LEDs in a
series / parallel arrangement of some sort.  And for a trailer tail
light (what the original mention of 30mA was talking about) there are
going to be at least two of those arrays, so each one is only seeing 15
mA  That makes each LED getting far less than 30mA.  Granted that for a
tail light or clearance light, it does not need to be all that bright.
Turn signals and brake lights are of course quite a bit brighter.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
[hidden email]
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Jim Walls via EV wrote:
> Agreed that a single LED with 30mA is very bright.  However a tail light
> is not a single point of light.  It's an array with a bunch of LEDs in a
> series / parallel arrangement of some sort.  And for a trailer tail
> light (what the original mention of 30mA was talking about) there are
> going to be at least two of those arrays, so each one is only seeing 15
> mA  That makes each LED getting far less than 30mA.  Granted that for a
> tail light or clearance light, it does not need to be all that bright.
> Turn signals and brake lights are of course quite a bit brighter.

For fun, I just measured the current of my trailer's LED lights. At 12vdc:

brake lights: 100ma each (has 8 LEDs in each one)
tail lights: 80ma each (has 12 LEDs in each one)
side marker lights: 30ma each (has 4 LEDs in each one)

So they apparently put 4 LEDs in a series string, with a dropping
resistor or circuit to take up the rest.

Lee

On 04/02/2021 09:57, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

> For fun, I just measured the current of my trailer's LED lights. At
> 12vdc:
>
> brake lights: 100ma each (has 8 LEDs in each one)
> tail lights: 80ma each (has 12 LEDs in each one)
> side marker lights: 30ma each (has 4 LEDs in each one)
>
> So they apparently put 4 LEDs in a series string, with a dropping
> resistor or circuit to take up the rest.
>
> Lee

Yep, for 12 volt DC systems, either three or four LEDs in series is
pretty normal.  Those numbers make far more sense than the original post
in this sub-thread that said 30mA for turn and brakes.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
[hidden email]
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Re: EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

The resistor is far more reliable than the modern DC switching electronics
th ey put in consumer bulbs.
My LED bulbs throughout the house fail about one evey month or so (ouit of
50 and not a single one has been due to the LED, but due to the voltage
regulating electronics.

A series resistor is MUCH more reliable

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 1:08 PM Jim Walls via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/02/2021 09:57, Lee Hart via EV wrote:
> > For fun, I just measured the current of my trailer's LED lights. At
> > 12vdc:
> >
> > brake lights: 100ma each (has 8 LEDs in each one)
> > tail lights: 80ma each (has 12 LEDs in each one)
> > side marker lights: 30ma each (has 4 LEDs in each one)
> >
> > So they apparently put 4 LEDs in a series string, with a dropping
> > resistor or circuit to take up the rest.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> Yep, for 12 volt DC systems, either three or four LEDs in series is
> pretty normal.  Those numbers make far more sense than the original post
> in this sub-thread that said 30mA for turn and brakes.
>
> --
> 73
> -------------------------------------
> Jim Walls - K6CCC
> [hidden email]
> Ofc:  818-548-4804
> http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
> AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Re: EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

Yeah, almost all the consumer LED bulbs have crappy electrolytic capacitors
in them, and since they are crammed into a small space with other power
electronics that make a lot of heat, the caps are never long for this world.

If you take apart a recent LED commercial fixture, such as an LED
streetlamp, you'll find all the good units have switched to much more
reliable film caps.

Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
> The resistor is far more reliable than the modern DC switching electronics
> th ey put in consumer bulbs.
> My LED bulbs throughout the house fail about one evey month or so (ouit of
> 50 and not a single one has been due to the LED, but due to the voltage
> regulating electronics.
>
> A series resistor is MUCH more reliable

I've had the same experience. Despite the marketing claims, my LED
lights only seem to last a few years. In every case, the LEDs themselves
are still good; it's the electronics that have failed.

I suppose they don't use a resistor because it would lower their
advertised efficiency. And, they get hot. If the LED light is installed
inside a fixture, that could be a problem.

Lee

--
All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Re: EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

It's a far cry to run 10 volts of LED from a 14 volt DC supply compared to
running it from 120VAC.   The only "cheap" way to do it is how you see it
in the flickery cheap LED bulbs; a capacitive dropper.  These suck besides
having an atrocious power factor.

This leaves the only good solution to some sort of switching supply, and
anytime there is AC -> DC conversion, there has to be a filter capacitor,
which seems to be the weak link.

Sadly, 2 years is long enough for people to "forget", and who is going to
pay 2X more at the checkout for a longer lasting one?   A competing bulb
built with a high-quality power supply using film-based filtering just
isn't going to sell against one twice as cheap that uses low-quality
electrolytics.   The only place it does is in the commercial lighting
space.  Go look at some of the prices!

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 11:26 AM Lee Hart via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
> > The resistor is far more reliable than the modern DC switching
> electronics
> > th ey put in consumer bulbs.
> > My LED bulbs throughout the house fail about one evey month or so (ouit
> of
> > 50 and not a single one has been due to the LED, but due to the voltage
> > regulating electronics.
> >
> > A series resistor is MUCH more reliable
>
> I've had the same experience. Despite the marketing claims, my LED
> lights only seem to last a few years. In every case, the LEDs themselves
> are still good; it's the electronics that have failed.
>
> I suppose they don't use a resistor because it would lower their
> advertised efficiency. And, they get hot. If the LED light is installed
> inside a fixture, that could be a problem.
>
> Lee
>
> --
> All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
> just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
> engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
> (Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

You must use some cheap LED bulbs.
I've been using LED bulbs in my house for about 10 years now and I've only had one fail and it was replaced under warranty.

Actually, I've had two fail, but the second one was a DIY assembly of a ring of LEDs and a separate driver that I used to replace a circular CFL in a ceiling fan.  Since I'd put it together myself in the first place, it was pretty simple to replace the driver when it failed after 6-7 years.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

Peter VanDerWal via EV wrote:
> You must use some cheap LED bulbs.
> I've been using LED bulbs in my house for about 10 years now and I've only
> had one fail and it was replaced under warranty.

That could well be the problem. The trouble is, it's hard to *avoid*
cheap-junk. No matter who the manufacturer, no matter what the price,
they still all come from China, and there is no discernible difference
in quality.

Another issue (for me at least) may be that my AC line voltage runs on
the high side -- 120-124 vac on average. Nice for charging EVs; but hard
on things that were designed "right on the edge". I've replaced many
electrolytic filter capacitors in things, and have built little boxes
with step-down transformers in them to to run various vintage electronic
devices where I don't want to over-stress them.

Lee

--
All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Re: EV trailer light wiring Bolt & Tesla

Same here.  I'm pretty sure I have had only one fail.  Everything in the
house is LED except the bulbs in the attic (not worth the expense to
wholesale replace about 15 bulbs that are used maybe 4 hours per year).
I started converting to LED about a decade ago and had everything
migrated about eight years ago.

Jim Walls