EV workshop

Seth Rothenberg
Another seemingly-off-topic question
I am working with an architect.

(It's like this.  My wife asked for a new kitchen.
I said, if I get a new EV workshop out of it.....)

The way it is shaping up, I may not get any storage
at ground level, but I might get a deck big enough to park under.
But the architect's first thought is we won't be able to do it.
(but he's "just" an architect, he's not an EVangelist :-)

Is there a reasonable absolute minimum headroom
for working on a car  (assume in this case, a sedan :-)?

The existing deck is just 72" above grade and the basement 15" below.

If anyone has worked out something like this,
and would like to email off-list, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Seth

EV workshop

philgalati2004
Hey Seth, I've sent your request to a friend of mine who works for an
architect. We'll see what he says. He is probably going to need the sq
footage of your house now. The size of your lot and what town you live in.

Phil

Re: EV workshop

Phil Marino-2
I think that would depend on: ( prioritized with most important first)

How high the top of the car is

How high the fully open hood ( and trunk lid) of the car is

How tall you are

Whether you are willing to wear a hard hat when you work on it ( or, pad the
ceiling a bit)

Phil Marino

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Seth Rothenberg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Another seemingly-off-topic question
> I am working with an architect.
>
> (It's like this.  My wife asked for a new kitchen.
> I said, if I get a new EV workshop out of it.....)
>
> The way it is shaping up, I may not get any storage
> at ground level, but I might get a deck big enough to park under.
> But the architect's first thought is we won't be able to do it.
> (but he's "just" an architect, he's not an EVangelist :-)
>
> Is there a reasonable absolute minimum headroom
> for working on a car  (assume in this case, a sedan :-)?
>
> The existing deck is just 72" above grade and the basement 15" below.
>

> If anyone has worked out something like this,
> and would like to email off-list, I'd appreciate it.
>

> Thanks
> Seth

Re: EV workshop

Rick Beebe
And whether you plan to lift the car at all (with the hood open). I
would hate anything less than 8 feet though I have worked in a garage
with a 6'2" ceiling. It gave me claustrophobia and I had to keep the
hood down if I wanted to jack the car up. And the garage had to have a
swing-open door--no room for an overhead. That said, I would consider
that an _absolute_ minimum.

--Rick

Phil Marino wrote:

> I think that would depend on: ( prioritized with most important first)
>
> How high the top of the car is
>
> How high the fully open hood ( and trunk lid) of the car is
>
> How tall you are
>
> Whether you are willing to wear a hard hat when you work on it ( or, pad the
> ceiling a bit)
>

> Phil Marino
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Seth Rothenberg <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Is there a reasonable absolute minimum headroom
>> for working on a car  (assume in this case, a sedan :-)?

Re: EV workshop

Seth Rothenberg
> Whether you are willing to wear a hard hat when you work on it
> ( or, pad the ceiling a bit)

Would have a "No Pogosticks" rule

Re: EV workshop

Harris, Lawrence
It's more work but you might be able to excavate an additional foot or two depending on the landscape and where the foundation footings of the basement are.  My brother in law wanted 8' ceilings on their new extension.  He and my sister had to excavate the extra two feet and put in new footings when the workmen hit the bottom of the existing foundation and stopped work.  It varies with building codes but you generally can excavate down as long as you don't expose the existing foundations footings.  My uncle did something similar when he put a basement under his house and the ledge created by the new footings became part of the support for his workbench.

Lawrence

Phil Marino wrote:

> I think that would depend on: ( prioritized with most important first)
>
> How high the top of the car is
>
> How high the fully open hood ( and trunk lid) of the car is
>
> How tall you are
>
> Whether you are willing to wear a hard hat when you work on it ( or, pad the
> ceiling a bit)
>

> Phil Marino
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Seth Rothenberg <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Is there a reasonable absolute minimum headroom
>> for working on a car  (assume in this case, a sedan :-)?

Re: EV workshop

Seth Rothenberg
>>> It varies with building codes but you generally can excavate down
>>> as long as you don't expose the existing foundations footings.

The architect said something to this effect.

My hope is that it is like my work.
Yesterday, I told a group, I can't pickup and
transmit and rename filenames with spaces,
it's wrong, the file names are corrupt, etc.
But they didn't budge, so I figured out how...

If I push enough, maybe he will figure out a solution.