(EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

(EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Dmiles33810
 If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Many say and have said that public promotion of golf carts and other
Neighborhood Electric Vehicles confuses the public, and present EVs as
SLOW and Short Ranged vehicles.  Well those vehicles have their place
but I don't need one at this time!

Not far south of Tampa FL. is a "Sun-City" development for adults over
55 years old. Hundreds of homes with lawn service provided or
available, a nice shopping center with several major retailers, and a
medical / fitness center with a gym and over 10 doctors. Special lanes
are provided for NEVs next to and crossing all streets and highways.
Almost every home has a golf cart with roof and rain curtains. Many are
Gasoline, some are electric. Every home also seems to have an
automobile [gas] also. Several dealers sell golf cars [a powered golf
cart is properly termed a golf car!] with customized bodies to look
like classic vehicles, mostly front and rear additions to suggest [as a
caricature of a car] a cute appearance.  There is a place for NEVs. In
"The Villages,"  "Top of the World," "Sun City," and others of that
ilk. Along with "Geriatric Scooters" at the mall and shopping inside
the larger stores.  But do not confuse them with EV Highway Cruisers [
as I call them to accentuate the difference!] Minimum Sixty MPH  and
Fifty Mile Range is NO NEV!
Just because I call them "EV Highway Cr
uisers," doesn't make that the
best term, I invite all of you to help improve our Public Image and
Media Perception of our vehicles. Let us  define a better term if
possible for our EVs a few I have dreamed up are :

EV Highway Cruiser

EMF Car  [Electric Motive Force Car]

Electric Cruiser

Electric Runabouts

Highway EV

Pure Electric Car  [not a hybrid]

High Tension Traction Vehicle    [High Tension is High Voltage...]

High Voltage Car

Steinmetz Technology Vehicle  [STV] [Steinmetz was the mathematician
who devised formulas

for making motors and generators. ]

What can you call your EV that will impress your neighbor and leave no
doubt that you can drive up a hill or cruise down the highway!  Would a
French, Italian, German, Latin or Spanish term work? Please , let us
make this step to improve our image.  Feedback desired, chose the best
one from above or devise a better term. Then, since I read every
posting, I will try to compile the results...

Dennis Miles  EVtrainingCenter  Lakeland, FL

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Seth Rothenberg
I refer to my project as one of
these you listed:
   Highway EV
   Pure Electric Car
It will certainly help for me
to get it on the road....
and one day to make it my daily driver.

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

lcalarea47
hi has anyone converted a ford think/ chrysler gem  conversion nev  ?? ie
stuff more batteries [amps ] larger controller / motor ? larger tires
perhaps .  i notice on ebay a place is selling just the frame from a
Chrysler gem , built sturdy all alluiminium frame plus are built to ie codes
for on road legal use unlike a golf cart .lonnie

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?
>
> Many say and have said that public promotion of golf carts and other
> Neighborhood Electric Vehicles confuses the public, and present EVs as
> SLOW and Short Ranged vehicles.  Well those vehicles have their place
> but I don't need one at this time!
>
> Not far south of Tampa FL. is a "Sun-City" development for adults over
> 55 years old. Hundreds of homes with lawn service provided or
> available, a nice shopping center with several major retailers, and a
> medical / fitness center with a gym and over 10 doctors. Special lanes
> are provided for NEVs next to and crossing all streets and highways.
> Almost every home has a golf cart with roof and rain curtains. Many are
> Gasoline, some are electric. Every home also seems to have an
> automobile [gas] also. Several dealers sell golf cars [a powered golf
> cart is properly termed a golf car!] with customized bodies to look
> like classic vehicles, mostly front and rear additions to suggest [as a
> caricature of a car] a cute appearance.  There is a place for NEVs. In
> "The Villages,"  "Top of the World," "Sun City," and others of that
> ilk. Along with "Geriatric Scooters" at the mall and shopping inside
> the larger stores.  But do not confuse them with EV Highway Cruisers [
> as I call them to accentuate the difference!] Minimum Sixty MPH  and
> Fifty Mile Range is NO NEV!
> Just because I call them "EV Highway Cr
> uisers," doesn't make that the
> best term, I invite all of you to help improve our Public Image and
> Media Perception of our vehicles. Let us  define a better term if
> possible for our EVs a few I have dreamed up are :
>
> EV Highway Cruiser
>
> EMF Car  [Electric Motive Force Car]
>
> Electric Cruiser
>
> Electric Runabouts
>
> Highway EV
>
> Pure Electric Car  [not a hybrid]
>
> High Tension Traction Vehicle    [High Tension is High Voltage...]
>
> High Voltage Car
>
> Steinmetz Technology Vehicle  [STV] [Steinmetz was the mathematician
> who devised formulas
>
> for making motors and generators. ]
>
> What can you call your EV that will impress your neighbor and leave no
> doubt that you can drive up a hill or cruise down the highway!  Would a
> French, Italian, German, Latin or Spanish term work? Please , let us
> make this step to improve our image.  Feedback desired, chose the best
> one from above or devise a better term. Then, since I read every
> posting, I will try to compile the results...
>
> Dennis Miles  EVtrainingCenter  Lakeland, FL

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Dave Hymers
Domestically powered transportation.

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Willie McKemie
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 01:19:38PM -0700, Dave Hymers wrote:
> Domestically powered transportation.

I see that as a "bicycle built for two" with my wife peddling while I
view the countryside.  OK, OK, I know you mean powered by energy
produced in the USA.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Dave Hymers
Or really domestically produced from your home solar array :)
Yeah, thats what I was getting at.

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Seth Rothenberg
It doesn't specifically convey highway speeds, but
I think of it as a Green car.   Right now, dark green.
My plan is to paint it green :  (0x) 00FF00

I found engine paint at the parts store this color,
so that's on the radar now for the interior.

(I had a wheel well repaired by a body guy,
and I told him, make it neat, it's going to be a show car....
I can dream, can't I?)

Re: (EVDL) If it is not a NEV, What should we call it?

Dave Hymers
What about HCEV, just "Highway Capable EV" (inserting the word capable can
help to dispel any negative feelings)
Meaning like you said; it does 60 and can go a meaningful distance on an
actual highway.

I think you can guess some of these languages :)

Autobahn geeignet Electric Vehicle
Autostrada in grado di veicoli elettrici
Capable route du véhicule électrique
Moottoritietä Kykenevät Electric Vehicle
Capaces carretera de vehículos eléctricos
Motorväg Kan Electric Vehicle
Snelweg geschikt elektrisch voertuig

I know some of those words might impress... I do like the swedish
actually...

What about Future Mobile ?
Anti-Gas Car
Ahead of the curve car (AOTCC)
Sustainable Electric Transport

I think EV's should also be promoted as the number one sustainable transport
option and should possibly have a promoted name that reflects that.
no idea that that'd be though.
I'm out of "ideas" :)
Its really hard to sum up all the positive impacts and details for an EV in
one single impressive name or term; ad agencies spend billions on doing this
for products.