EVLN: $15k Electric Motor Werks at Maker Faire (video)

EVLN: $15k Electric Motor Werks at Maker Faire (video)

brucedp5

EMW BMW-335i r:180mi ts:120mph 0-60mph:6s c:2.5h@60A-12KW-J1772

[unformatted]
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/22/electric-motor-werks-hands-on-at-maker-faire-video/
[images&video] Electric Motor Werks hands-on at Maker Faire (video)
By Myriam Joire  May 22 2012

[image
http://www.engadget.com/photos/electric-motor-werks-hands-on/#5038083
Electric Motor Werks hands-on at Maker Faire (video)
]

Have a BMW 3-Series that requires major engine work? Want to convert it to electric and improve performance, ActiveE style? The folks at Electric Motor Werks have you covered. Instead of making purpose-built electric cars, the company -- which showed a converted 3-Series sedan and coupé at Maker Faire Bay Area 2012 -- provides affordable and environmentally responsible electric conversion kits for the BMW E46. These are available directly to consumers but Electric Motor Werks is also building a network of installers (via tuner / speed shops) and setting up its own facilities.

We chatted with founder Val Miftakhov who gave us a tour of the prototype kit in the vehicles on display, so head past the break for more information and for our hands-on video.
Electric Motor Werks hands-on

At the heart of the system are three banks of non-volatile (fire-proof) lithium-ion phosphate batteries which store 30-35KWh of energy. One pack is located under the hood along with the 500hp motor and its controller (which also handles regenerative braking), the second pack is located under the trunk (in the spare tire area), and the third is located under the car along with the charging system (presumably replacing the gas tank). There are two range options -- 100 miles and 180 miles (rated at a constant speed of 65mph) -- the latter sacrificing some luggage space in the trunk.

Performance is impressive, at least on paper: 0-60mph in less than 6 seconds with a top speed of over 120mph. The kit provides a generous 300hp and 300ft/lb of torque, matching the specs of BMW's current 335i. It only takes 2.5 hours to fully charge the batteries from a 60A circuit and the 12KW charging system uses a standard J1772 socket compatible with both Level 1 (110V) and Level 2 (240V) charging stations. Donor cars can be either automatic or manual, the latter usually operating in second gear (and fourth gear on the highway).

Inside, the vehicle continues to look and feel just like a normal 3-Series. A custom computer interfaces with BMW's stock ECU via the OBD-II port and communicates via Bluetooth with any Android tablet or phone running the company's app (iOS is not supported yet). The app displays gauges for total power, current and voltage, fuel economy (typically 90-100 MPGe), charge level and battery temperature. Upcoming app functionality includes navigation integration and settings for performance / economy driving modes.

Pricing starts at $15,000 and Electric Motor Werks is now taking orders. Future plans include electric conversion kits for the 5-Series (likely the BMW E39) and newer models.
[video flash]
[]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
All EVLN posts, Today's topics:
EVLN: $16k C-1 EV rolls with the times r:220mi ts:120mph
EVLN: SEAT delivers three electric cars to Barcelona
EVLN: Do EV Conversions Really Stand A Chance?
EVLN: Three pih @ Cars-And-Coffee

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: $15k Electric Motor Werks at Maker Faire (video)

Al-57
A 30-35KWh pack is close to $15k on its own without BMS.
A 500hp AC drive system? That is probably at least $20k.
The numbers don't add up.

> At the heart of the system are three banks of non-volatile (fire-proof)
> lithium-ion phosphate batteries which store 30-35KWh of energy. One pack
> is
> located under the hood along with the 500hp motor and its controller
> (which
> also handles regenerative braking), the second pack is located under the
> trunk (in the spare tire area), and the third is located under the car
> along
> with the charging system (presumably replacing the gas tank). There are
> two
> range options -- 100 miles and 180 miles (rated at a constant speed of
> 65mph) -- the latter sacrificing some luggage space in the trunk.
>

> Pricing starts at $15,000 and Electric Motor Werks is now taking orders.
> Future plans include electric conversion kits for the 5-Series (likely the
> BMW E39) and newer models.
> [video flash]
> []

Re: EVLN: $15k Electric Motor Werks at Maker Faire (video)

Cor van de Water
The difference is probably in the "starts at"...
You can get 1 of the 3 packs and a lower spec drivetrain
for $15k and it goes up from there....
Just guessing....

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

A 30-35KWh pack is close to $15k on its own without BMS.
A 500hp AC drive system? That is probably at least $20k.
The numbers don't add up.

> At the heart of the system are three banks of non-volatile
(fire-proof)
> lithium-ion phosphate batteries which store 30-35KWh of energy. One
pack
> is
> located under the hood along with the 500hp motor and its controller
> (which
> also handles regenerative braking), the second pack is located under
the
> trunk (in the spare tire area), and the third is located under the car

> along
> with the charging system (presumably replacing the gas tank). There
are
> two
> range options -- 100 miles and 180 miles (rated at a constant speed of
> 65mph) -- the latter sacrificing some luggage space in the trunk.
>

> Pricing starts at $15,000 and Electric Motor Werks is now taking
orders.
> Future plans include electric conversion kits for the 5-Series (likely
the
> BMW E39) and newer models.
> [video flash]
> []

Re: EVLN: $15k Electric Motor Werks at Maker Faire (video)

Cruisin
They dont add up for sure. Go to the advertisers site and look for yourself. This is all hype at shows to get people to buy a starter kit with NO knowledge of what they are in for. Look at their cars on display for details and you will find lots of no no's when converting. A decent 21kw battery pack is going to cost $10k
with all the small things needed. The object is to get them interested at a low price and then try to move them into something that really works. Thats why it is done at shows.

Re: EVLN: $15k Electric Motor Werks at Maker Faire (video)

valerun
cruisin, you are so angry across so many posts, man. let's chill out a bit ;-)

Anyway, as someone else mentioned here, the key is in 'starts from'. For $15k you get a basic 50-mile range vehicle, 0-60 in 8-9 seconds, no accessories. Basically the minimal set to get you moving - for many people this is sufficient.

Now to the specific point about 21kW battery pack for $10k. We are talking about ~60 100AH calb cells which is going to cost me WAY less than even $8k. miniBMS at our special volume pricing adds a minor amount to this.

Basically, what you need to keep in mind before commenting is that there is such a thing as volume pricing. If you buy in quantities sufficient for 100 vehicles, a lot of things get a LOT cheaper...