EVLN: $18k Kazakhstan-made EVs using jacen.jac.com.cn parts

EVLN: $18k Kazakhstan-made EVs using jacen.jac.com.cn parts

https://astanatimes.com/2019/07/kazakhstan-aims-to-increase-production-of-reduce-prices-for-locally-produced-electric-cars/
Kazakhstan aims to increase production of, reduce prices for
locally-produced electric cars

[image  / kazpravda.kz
https://astanatimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/171282-preview-image.jpg
]

NUR-SULTAN – Kazakhstan wants to increase production of and lower prices for
electric cars in the country, said Vice Minister of Industry and
Infrastructure Development Amaniyaz Yerzhanov at a July 10 government press
conference.

“Foreign automakers believe that, by 2022, the sale of electric cars will
reach 89 percent, and we should not lag behind,” he said. “Today, the prices
of electric cars produced by Kazakh manufacturers are 1.5 times higher than
those produced by Tesla and other car manufacturers. Tesla has released its
third generation of electric cars, which are available in Kazakhstan and
studied by our automakers. At the moment, this electric car costs $28,000.”

The configuration of the electric car ultimately determines its price.

“This is due to the characteristics of the car’s battery, and our
manufacturers are working on it. Scientific institutes were tasked with
manufacturing lithium batteries in Kazakhstan because we have a lot of raw
materials. We can even export the batteries to other countries in the
future,” said Yerzhanov.

Kazakhstan unveiled in 2018 the iEV7S electric car, produced with China’s
JAC Motors. Costing $18,054 to $31,258, it is equipped with a 113-horsepower
engine and a fast-charge mode.

“Several units of (locally-produced) electric cars were released and put up
for sale. If they are in demand, our automakers are ready to produce more of
these electric cars. But we cannot simply sit and wait, so we are working to
lower the cost of electric cars and cooperating with foreign automakers,” he
said.

More than 1,000 electric cars may be found on Kazakhstan’s roads, of which
approximately 200 are locally-produced.

“In Kazakhstan and on the territory of the Eurasian Economic Union as a
whole, today, there are a number of privileges for electric car buyers –
zero import duty, a 50 percent utilisation rate for primary registration and
exemption from transport tax,” KazAvtoProm Board Chairman Oleg Alferov told
Asiaavto.kz in a 2017 interview.

While Kazakhstan’s electric cars are designed primarily for movement within
the city, an expanding network of fast-charging stations will accommodate
longer trips of several hundred kilometres. Consequently, infrastructural
development in Almaty, Nur-Sultan and the Nur-Sultan-Shchuchinsk highway is
underway, said Yerzhanov.

“There are electric charging stations there,” he said. “Infrastructure will
develop in more cities and regional centres as the number of electric cars
increases.”
[© astanatimes.com]

https://eurasianet.org/how-kazakhstan-fell-back-in-love-with-clunkers
 ...  electric car sales in Kazakhstan are miserable ... Kazakhstan
Automotive Business Association, or KABA, ... has plans to bring China’s JAC
electric cars onto the Kazakh market ... sells at under $20,000 on the
Chinese market ...

+
https://www.bnamericas.com/en/features/brazils-electric-bus-market-to-grow-faster-than-expected
Brazil’s electric bus market to grow faster than expected
July 05, 2019 ... impact since the country is the automotive business leader
in South America. ... Executives like Clark believe the program will help
boost the electric vehicles ...