EVLN: (2020 vw pr fluff)> 111kWh auton id-vizzion concept r:413mi

EVLN: (2020 vw pr fluff)> 111kWh auton id-vizzion concept r:413mi

VW unveils new ID electric sedan: 111 kWh battery pack, self-driving, and
Mar. 5th 2018  Fred Lambert

Ahead of the Geneva Auto Show today, Volkswagen unveiled the latest car of a
series of electric vehicle concepts that serve as the basis of its new
generation of production electric vehicles coming in 2020.

The new I.D. VIZZION features a 111 kWh battery pack, self-driving
technology, and more.

VW’s series of “I.D.” concept vehicles are powered by the company’s new MEB

There’s the I.D., which is a Golf-sized vehicle expected to be their first
mass-market EV in 2020, there’s also the crossover all-electric I.D. CROZZ
Concept, and then there’s the I.D. BUZZ electric microbus coming in 2022.

Now, the I.D. VIZZION features the same technology but in a sedan form

After unveiling design sketches last month, they have unveiled the full
concept and specs today:

VW says that the vehicle is equipped with a dual motor powertrain with a
total output of 225 kW.

The motors are powered by a massive 111 kWh battery pack, which is more
energy capacity than any passenger electric car currently available.

VW claims that it will result in “a driving range of up to 665 kilometres
(413 miles) when braking regeneration is factored in.”

In comparison, Tesla’s Model S 100D is likely the electric vehicle with the
closest type of powertrain and it has an EPA-rated range of 335 miles.

VW’s electric I.D. concepts have mostly served as a basis for production
vehicles coming relatively soon, but the I.D. VIZZION appears to be more

The German automaker says that it would be fully autonomous, but as a vision
of the year 2030:

    “In a vision of what may be possible by the year 2030, the I.D.
VIZZION’s ‘digital chauffeur’ assumes control of the vehicle—without a
steering wheel or visible controls. The concept car drives, steers and
navigates autonomously in traffic, enabling passengers to sit back and enjoy
the ride.”

It becomes clear that the concept is all about self-driving when you see the
interior, which doesn’t even feature a steering wheel:

Unlike the I.D. concept, the I.D. CROZZ, or the I.D. BUZZ, VW didn’t
announce an actual release date for the vehicle – though we expect an
electric sedan on the MEB platform to be in VW’s plans.

Here’s the official press release:

    Mar 5, 2018

    The fourth member of the I.D. Family features Level 5 automation and
artificial intelligence

        Based on the MEB platform, the I.D. VIZZION concept showcases sedan
design of the future

        Concept car features an electric all-wheel-drive system delivering
302 horsepower and an anticipated range of up to 413 miles on the European

        I.D. VIZZION features Level 5 autonomy, operating solely with voice
and gesture control

        Via artificial intelligence, I.D. VIZZION is capable of learning

        I.D. VIZZION uses biometrics to open doors and adjust settings for
known occupants

    Wolfsburg/Geneva, (March 5 2018) — Starting in 2020, Volkswagen will be
launching the I.D. Family, a range of newly-developed electric vehicles with
long driving ranges and visionary design that will come to market in quick
succession. Three I.D. models have already been presented as concept cars:
the compact I.D.; the I.D. CROZZ SUV; and the I.D. BUZZ microbus. At the
Geneva International Motor Show, Volkswagen will present the newest member
of the I.D. Family: the I.D. VIZZION sedan. It drives autonomously, is
operated by voice and gesture control, and thanks to artificial
intelligence, will be capable of learning.

    In a vision of what may be possible by the year 2030, the I.D. VIZZION’s
‘digital chauffeur’ assumes control of the vehicle—without a steering wheel
or visible controls. The concept car drives, steers and navigates
autonomously in traffic, enabling passengers to sit back and enjoy the ride.
A virtual ‘host’ knows the personal preferences of the vehicle guests and it
adapts to each of them individually. Interaction with the I.D. VIZZION is
possible via augmented reality and newly designed mixed reality eyewear—the
HOLOLENSTM developed by Microsoft®.

    Artificial Intelligence

    The I.D. VIZZION concept car is one of the first cars to have the
potential of artificial intelligence incorporated into its concept.
Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to programs capable of self-learning by
using algorithms to recognize, evaluate and interpret patterns. Over time,
these systems continue to learn more, which enables them to react to new

    Currently, developers define comprehensive program code that describes
all aspects of system behavior. For example, Volkswagen’s Lane Assist
feature uses a conventional, model-based program which precisely describes
mathematical parameters for the visual recognition of lane markings. In the
programing, the developers must also incorporate all sorts of
deviations—such as missing or interrupted lane markings—so that they can
handle all conceivable scenarios. The optical information supplied by the
front camera is then compared with the mathematical description of lane
markings, and if they agree Lane Assist is activated and ready to intervene.

    Programs are now being trained, however, to learn very complex
parameters. In this training process, they learn to deduce unknown facts
based on machine learning. At Volkswagen, machine learning is being used in
determining the vehicle environment by the use of peripheral cameras. For
example, the cameras must recognize whether they are ‘seeing’ a truck,
passenger car, pedestrian or bicycle rider. To achieve this, developers feed
an image recognition algorithm with thousands of pieces of training data –
images of trucks, passenger cars, pedestrians and bicycle riders. It trains
with images to distinguish between the different road users. This enables
the implementation of new functions.

    Artificial intelligence requires a program that can draw its own
conclusions autonomously, which allows it to make its own decisions. The
automobiles of tomorrow will operate with far fewer control elements, and
with controls that can be operated fully intuitively. Assistants like the
system integrated in the I.D. VIZZION adapt more perfectly to its users from
day to day. The system recognizes their needs and tastes—such as seat and
air conditioning settings and their favorite playlists—and activates them
autonomously as a function of the context and situation. Hardware and
software will be optimally synchronized by the Volkswagen car’s artificial
intelligence. For autonomous driving, this also includes the essential laser
and radar sensors, cameras and electronic control units. They independently
share the data and derive the right driving manoeuvre based on their own

    Fully Autonomous Driving

    With the I.D. VIZZION, Volkswagen is showing the maximum extension stage
of automated driving. The levels of automation are subdivided into five
levels. From Level 4, the multiple redundantly designed technologies for
automated driving are so intelligent that a driver is no longer needed.
Nonetheless, cars operating at Level 4 still have a steering wheel and
cockpit inside, and the user can choose to drive it conventionally as well.

    The I.D. VIZZION is designed for Level 5, so it drives exclusively as a
fully autonomous vehicle. Consequently, there is no longer any need for a
driver’s seat, steering wheel, dash panel or foot pedals. The I.D. VIZZION
detects its environment via inter-connected laser scanners, ultrasonic
sensors, radar sensors for objects in the near-zone and radar sensors for
long distances, front and rear cameras and side area view cameras. Traffic
data is also continually obtained via the cloud and is compared with the
data in the I.D. VIZZION. Future networking of vehicles with one another
will also enable the Volkswagen car to utilize the swarm intelligence of the
immediate surroundings and the larger environment (Car-2-Car and Car-2-X).
In addition, the I.D. VIZZION integrates high-resolution digital maps into

    Electric all-wheel drive

    The drive system components of the MEB architecture—two motors, two
transmissions, the electronics that link everything together and the
high-voltage battery—are optimally incorporated into the I.D. VIZZION

    The lithium-ion battery has an energy density of 111 kWh and is housed
in the vehicle floor. This creates more interior space, lowers the center of
gravity and ensures ideal weight distribution. The same applies to the two
electric motors on the front and rear axles. The motor in front is a 101-hp
coaxial drive, and a compact 201-hp motor is used at the rear. They develop
a total system power of 302 hp and drive their respective axles directly.
Intelligent drive control ensures optimal handling properties in every

    The I.D. VIZZION concept has an anticipated range of up to 413 miles on
the European cycle. The power electronics are a crucial link for controlling
the flow of high-voltage energy between the motors and the battery. The
power electronics convert the direct current (DC) stored in the battery into
alternating current (AC). The ideal method for charging the battery is over
an inductive interface. But conventional charging via a plug is also
possible with the Combined Charging System (CCS), charging stations or
conventional electrical sockets.

    The proportions of the I.D. VIZZION differentiate it from comparable
production vehicles in the premium class. The wheelbase (122.0 inches) and
roof are extremely long, while the front and rear overhangs are short. This
creates more space than in today’s premium sedan models. In addition, the
I.D. VIZZION sets new standards with its refined aerodynamics. The concept
car is 203.3 inches long, 76.7 inches wide, and 59.3 inches tall.

    From the front, the I.D. VIZZION creates a dynamic look with its front
fascia, which is extremely low in the middle, and its fenders that rise
sharply to the sides. Light also dominates the front-end design, with a
white, illuminated VW badge, which develops into a white, animated light
axis. As soon as the I.D. VIZZION recognizes one of its passengers via
electronic key or a facial scan, this light axis flows over the side of the
body and the white-illuminated door handles and into the rear body.

    The lighting concept is designed to be interactive. For example, active
lighting elements in the front end adapt to the environment of the vehicle
according to the driving situation. The I.D. VIZZION uses HD Matrix lights—a
first for Volkswagen. These intelligent dipped beam and main beam headlights
operate with 8,000 light pixels. In the future, these dots of light can be
used to project symbols and displays in front of the car. These could be the
virtual ‘zebra stripes’ of a pedestrian crossing, signaling to pedestrians
that the I.D. VIZZION has recognized them, and is stopping to let them cross
the road safely.

    In profile, the I.D. VIZZION is simple, yet elegant. The coupe-like
roofline of the concept car extends past the wheelarches in the rear,
creating the silhouette of a GT. The side sections are eye-catching with
their seamlessly designed surfaces. Even the windows are completely flush
with the body panels, making the greenhouse visually merge more with the
shoulder and side sections of the body. Suicide doors dominate the space
between the aerodynamically designed 24-inch wheels. They open electrically
in opposite directions at up to a 0-degree angle. This, and the lack of
B-pillars, enables exceptionally easy egress.

    The rear, with its sharp trailing edge, has ideal aerodynamic
properties. Instead of a conventional trunk lid, an electrically actuated
rear hatch swings upward, giving access to a 20.0 cubic-foot trunk. Like the
rest of the concept car, the rear also exhibits clean and expressive
styling. The white light axis is present at the rear too. This low-profile
strip of LEDs wraps into the sides of the car and the rear fenders,
emphasizing the width of the I.D. VIZZION. Immediately above, a red LED
strip provides tail and brake light functions. The rear window doubles as a
gigantic OLED display, allowing it to become a third brake light. As braking
intensifies, the brake light enlarges interactively from bottom to top.

    The I.D. VIZZION has an interior which enables a new dimension in
travel. Since the I.D. VIZZION is conceived for fully autonomously driving,
there is no need for a traditional driver’s seat with cockpit. Therefore,
the space was designed create a lounge-like atmosphere. Four ergonomically
balanced seats form the center of this world. Footrests invite guests to
relax, and a bright atmosphere is created with large side windows and a
continuous panoramic sunroof that runs from front to rear. To ensure that
the transparency of the space is not too great, the glass surfaces can be
darkened electronically. At maximum darkening, the privacy glass is nearly

    The car has no dash panel, as the concept vehicle is primarily operated
by gesture and voice control. In addition, all guests aboard the I.D.
VIZZION can, if they wish, use a HOLOLENS which projects a virtual interface
into the real space by augmented reality. However, there are still two
rotary/pushbutton controls on the center console of the I.D. VIZZION (one
front, one rear) to enable the intuitive manual control of functions such as
entertainment volume control. These controls can also fully stop the concept

    The virtual host recognizes its occupants by biometric facial
recognition or electronic device, such as a smartphone, and is able to call
up settings from the cloud via the Volkswagen ID, automatically adjusting
the settings for individual occupants. The profile for the Volkswagen ID can
control parameters such as seating, lighting, climate control, infotainment
(including streaming services) and scents.

    In addition, the virtual assistant reacts predictively to a wide variety
of events and relevant points of interest. For example, if the car is
approaching a traffic jam that cannot be avoided, the interactive assistant
automatically communicates the new arrival time for the given destination.
If there is a cafe along the route, which one of the guests would like to
make use of, the assistant asks whether it should drive to the cafe or
perhaps order a coffee to go and pay for it. The car can also be
interconnected with all conceivable digital devices, including fitness
trackers. Via these and/or the HOLOLENS, the I.D. VIZZION tracks the vital
parameters of its passengers. For example, if it notices that someone is too
hot, it adjusts the temperature downward for the area of that passenger via
indirect ventilation of the four-zone automatic air conditioner.

    Three different travel modes can be activated on-board via the personal
assistant: Relax, Active, and Family. In the Active mode, for example, the
passenger can sit as usual, work, communicate, play and call up information
on the drive. As soon as a guest activates Relax mode, a footrest extends
out, relaxing music is played, and the ambient lighting switches to a warm
color. In addition, various scenarios can be called up via the HOLOLENS.
They include the digital Business, Navigation, Entertain, Communication,
and—especially for any children on-board—Learning modes. The projections
that are customized for each mode are shown in the user’s visual field as
augmented reality via the HOLOLENS. The Business mode, for example, makes it
possible to participate in meetings by video chat or easily process e-mails
and presentations. In Learning mode, children can call up games and learning
[© electrek.co]

Volkswagen unveils new ID Vizzion electric autonomous car
March 6, 2018  Muller said the vehicle was only one part of the solution to
overcrowded cities. It is developing car sharing programs and forming
partnerships with major cities would help to reduce congestion. “Despite all
the challenges, particularly those we are facing in cities, we want to be
part of the solution,” he said. He said the sheer ...