EVLN: €20k Uniti crowdfunded 2-4seat EV launch date in early 2019 r:186mi (v)

EVLN: €20k Uniti crowdfunded 2-4seat EV launch date in early 2019 r:186mi (v)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/101585/swedish-startup-uniti-announces-launch-date-for-its-crowdfunded-ev
Swedish startup Uniti announces launch date for its crowdfunded EV
3 Nov, 2017  Dan Smith

[images
http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/article_main_image/public/2017/11/uniti-_-side-shot_image.jpg?itok=NjrsMt9t
Uniti EV

http://cdn1.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/article_main_image/public/2017/11/uniti-sweden-_-electric-car-exterior-design.png?itok=DY9RTJxr

video  flash
]

On 7 December, Uniti will unveil its £17,800 electric car ahead of the new
model going on sale in early 2019

Swedish electric vehicle company Uniti will unveil its first electric car in
the metal at its brand new production facility in Landskrona on 7 December.
The plan is to then put the new car on sale in early 2019.

Set up by Australian-born entrepreneur Lewis Horne in 2016, the crowdfunded
start-up announced its intentions to produce a light EV for the milennial
market. The car is made from carbon fibre and bio composite materials and
contains features such as a fully electronic steering system and a
full-screen augmented reality head-up display.

The Uniti car will have a 186-mile range and is available in a two-seat or
four-seat configuration. It has a dry weight of just 450kg and comes with a
target price of €20,000 (£17,800).

The crowdfunding effort was said to be record-breaking with over 1,000
investors pledging funds totalling around £18.5 million. A partnership was
set up with electronics giant Siemens, and Uniti currently has 915
reservations from customers for its car.

The grand unveiling of Uniti's car will take place along with the
presentation of the firm's new production facility in the southern Swedish
city of Landskrona. Most of 2018 will be spent planning production and
evaluating the prototyping process before the first batch of light EV’s is
delivered to customers in early 2019.

Landskrona was chosen as an ideal location for the plant after Uniti
consulted with industry leaders and stakeholders. It is in close proximity
to major Swedish cities such as Malmo and Lund as well as the Danish capital
of Copenhagen.

Founder and CEO Lewis Horne CEO said: “Landskrona is an ideal hub for
manufacturing and assembling our products. It is clear that the city has
strong ambitions to become a new technology centre in the region, and they
certainly have the resources to achieve this.”
[© Dennis Publishing]
https://www.uniti.earth/
Uniti  - An electric car to redefine urban mobility, is reinventing city
transportation. Our mass market electric city car brings a new approach to
safety, sustainability and driving experience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniti_(car)
Uniti Sweden is a Swedish automotive startup founded in January 2016 by
Lewis Horne (CEO) which is developing a high tech electric city car in Lund,
Sweden.

Re: EVLN: €20k Uniti crowdfunded 2-4seat EV launch date in early 2019 r:186mi (v)

On 8 Nov 2017 at 14:27, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Uniti will unveil its first electric car in the metal ... The car is
> made from carbon fibre and bio composite materials

Which is it, metal or carbon fiber and composites?

> ... fully electronic steering system and a full-screen augmented
> reality head-up display ... 186-mile range ... weight of just 450kg ...
> target price of ¬20,000 (£17,800) ...
>
> The crowdfunding effort was said to be record-breaking ...

Said by whom?

I've seen many such announcements in the 50 years I've been following EVs.
My admittedly cynical prediction is that by early 2019:

The steering will be rack and pinion.
The display will be an LCD screen.
The range will be ~120 miles.
The weight will be 500-600kg.
The price will be 25-30k Euro.
The launch date will be some time in 2020 or 2021.

Uniti are on well-traveled ground here.  The details are a little different,
but I don't think I could count the number of startups that have announced
ambitious plans for city EVs, later scaled back their expensive goals, and
eventually sunk without a trace.

I wish these folks success.  I like the basic idea, and I think we need more
alternatives to the major automakers' EVs.  However, I'm not going to bet my
retirement savings on them.