EVLN: £33k Kona road test> shakes affordable EV market 2its core

EVLN: £33k Kona road test> shakes affordable EV market 2its core

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/kona-edinburgh-700-miles-hyundais-new-ev-masses
Kona to Edinburgh: 700 miles in Hyundai's new EV for the masses
6 January 2019  Jesse Crosse

[images
https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2409g.jpg?itok=F3VZDWwy
Kona EV to Edinburgh  Has the advent of electrification brought an end to
the days of the road trip?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2407e.jpg?itok=QZRlIDEU
The Hyundai Kona EV is a convincing everyday EV, but the infrastructure
still has some way to go

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2414l.jpg?itok=ljQ3xRxk
Scarcity of functioning charging points could be a problem on long trips

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2408f.jpg?itok=Qm70Myvc
No frivolous heater usage or pointless diversions allowed

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2423u.jpg?itok=X3nF4Uxw
Hyundai Kona Electric

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2403a.jpg?itok=331TlfqS
 baby

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2406d.jpg?itok=HftRuRE7
 evse warning

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2419q.jpg?itok=6Ig_WHhG

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/niro-2418p.jpg?itok=dO_N3XxV

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/body-image/public/niro-2419q.jpg?itok=aKax_qtC
Our Verdict  Hyundai Kona Electric 2018 road test review - hero front
Hyundai’s affordable electric crossover has the numbers to shake this market
segment to the core
]

Is the affordable long range EV finally here? We took a Kona Electric on a
round trip of almost 700 miles from Oxfordshire to Edinburgh and back to
find out

Hyundai’s Kona Electric 64kWh [
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/hyundai/kona-electric
] is an EV I’ve been waiting to try. With an entry level 64kWh price of
£32,845, plus £300 for a Pod Point 7kW home wall box (after grants) it’s
real-world money and can potentially do everything a conventional car can
do.

If I owned an EV, I want to do all the usual stuff like 160 mile round trips
to the airport and the regular 300 plus mile run I do to Edinburgh without
making allowances. The Kona is equipped with a CCS DC 50kW rapid charging
port and an AC port (7kW only) and a charge lead for domestic charging at 10
amps from a household socket.

At the end of November 2018 in chilly but not freezing conditions, I set off
one morning from home in North Oxfordshire, to Edinburgh driving a Kona
Electric Premium SE (£35,145). The trip read 1872 miles and the sat nav
showed 344 miles to go. In theory I should have been able to make my usual
(and only) stop at Tebay Services M6 northbound around 200 miles away, but
had Lancaster services at around 170 miles in mind as a backup.

I’d signed up for an Ecotricity account and got the app, which would let me
charge at anyone of its Electric Highway charge points. Ecotricity has the
exclusive franchise for motorway chargers so if you’re planning a
motorway-heavy trip as I was, there’s no other choice of energy provider
without leaving the motorway network. Even then, I would be counting on 50kW
DC charging rather than AC only and at most stops there’s only one of those
available.

Plenty of charge points

The Ecotricity charge points are listed in the app and with details of the
car logged into the app along with your journey, the app suggests where to
stop and charge. There are plenty of charging opportunities on the way, so
theoretically all I had to do was make sure I had enough charge left for the
40 mile, charger-free run across the Borders from the M74 at Abington to
Edinburgh.

The app was showing the Tebay charger was in use for a full 24 hours before
I left so I queried that with Ecotricity support. They said if they couldn’t
connect to a charger for any reason, the app would report the last status
their servers had logged. So I had no way of confirming the charger was
working or not. If the charger was working but offline when I arrived, that
meant I wouldn’t be able to pay using the app and would get a free vend.

For that reason I stopped at Lancaster with 86 miles range remaining,
according to the instrument panel. I’d started with 319 miles predicted
range, a difference of 233. But I’d only covered 172 miles so with the
heater on, cruising at around 70mph and stop-start in road works, there was
a discrepancy in the predicted range of 60 miles.

Rapid chargers only fast charge the Kona to 80% battery capacity, then slow
to a relative trickle to avoid battery damage. This varies, but is always
governed by the car rather than the charger. In this case, assuming you
leave home on a full charge, subsequent top ups will only give 80 percent
unless you are prepared to wait another hour and a half or so. Assuming you
don’t risk dropping below, say, 30 miles range, that reduces available
capacity even more.

The DC charger is rated at 50kW but according to the Lancaster charger was
charging at 41kW. Charging is dead easy though. Open the app, scan the bar
code on the charger, plug the car in and away it goes. Then go off for
breakfast or a coffee or sample the aromatic delights of motorway services
toilets.

No happy ending at Gretna

In theory I wouldn’t need to stop again but to be certain I didn’t get
stranded in the Borders, I stopped 80 odd miles further on at Gretna.
Sustained motorway speeds with the heater on meant that the range, while
still OK, was still significantly less than the trip computer was
predicting. I arrived at Gretna at 4.10pm with a 139 miles remaining and 90
miles to go, only to find the only Ecotricity CCS DC charger out of order. I
still had the option of connecting to the 7kW AC charger but it would be too
slow to be of any use.

I pressed on, planning to stop at Abington before the final run across
country. It was dark, cold and raining by the then and I was using lights as
well as heating. After less than a minute, the charger terminated charging,
reporting a ‘vehicle fault.’

I tried a few more times and phoned Ecotricity support who said the charger
may be just ‘having a moment’ and to try holding the plug in place while it
started charging. That didn’t work so I consulted Zap Map, the website which
lists all chargers in the UK, and found there was a Chargeplace Scotland
charger in the car park at Abington village a mile away. When I arrived,
plugs and cables were lying on the wet ground. I paddled around a bit, and
gave it a shot, but the DC charger was also out of order.

I left for the final leg and periodically turned the heater off which made a
noticeable difference to the miles per kilowatt display (real time fuel
consumption) but I got cold in the process so turned it back on. I swung
into the drive at my destination at 8.15pm with around 30 miles range left,
energy consumption improving noticeably once I switched from motorways to
B-roads. The noisiest thing on the motorway had been tyre noise but
otherwise the Kona was comfy, well equipped and serene when cruising but
punchy when you need it to be.

New style of driving

On the way, I had some fun with the paddles which let you control the amount
of regenerative braking. The feature introduces a new style of driving
because set to high regen on normal roads or in stop-start driving, the
accelerator doubles as a brake much like the Nissan Leaf E-pedal and you
hardly need the energy-squandering conventional brakes at all. On the
motorway, Hyundai advise knocking the regen right back, allowing the car to
coast when you lift off to help extend the range. That seemed to make sense.

During my stay, the Kona went on charge plugged into a 13amp domestic supply
which took around 12 hours to bring the battery to full capacity. That was
the only practical choice because there are only about four or five rapid DC
chargers in Edinburgh and none are at convenient retail locations.

On the return trip a couple of days later I planned to stop at Tebay 140
miles away. There’s no Ecotricity point southbound but there is a road link
to the Northbound side where I plugged in, again in the pouring rain. The
charger dropped out again with the same error message I’d seen at Abington.
At that point the Kona had been averaging 3.3 miles/kWh so at that rate,
50kWh of energy from the 64kWh battery would take me 165 miles.

No bother. Killington Lake services were only 10 miles further on so I
stopped there. Same thing though, so I made a call to Hyundai’s PR man who
explained there was a problem with a Ecotricity’s software not talking to
some BMWs and the Kona and that a rollout of software had been due for a
while. In fact, Ecotricity had tweeted the rollout was happening back in
September.

Hyundai recommended getting off the motorway and finding another provider as
the problem was specific to Ecotricity. Relieved that it definitely wasn’t
the Kona at fault and I could actually get home, I decided to stop at a few
more Motorway services to get a sense of how widespread the problem was and
headed for Knutsford services further south. Same problem. At Sandbach
services, both chargers were completely out of service and covered up so the
next stop was Keele.

I am not alone

Bingo! It worked and I left the Kona to guzzle energy while I forced down
yet another flat white coffee. By the time I got home I’d covered 340.3
miles that day, at an average of 3.5 miles/kWh. 290 miles of that was at
motorway speed, driving the Kona as I would a petrol car and making no
concessions.

The trip which could probably have been made comfortably with one stop in
each direction, exactly as I would do in the frugal, family Ford Fiesta. The
only thing preventing that today is not being able to count on chargers
working as you could pumps at a filling station. I wasn’t alone, on the
outbound trip a Jaguar I-Pace driver limped in having failed to charge at
Knutsford further South.

I learned a lot on the trip. One is that EV energy consumption is more
sensitive to speed than conventional cars and range prediction less
reliable. Another is that charging using the Ecotricity app is easy,
convenient, relatively fast and fun, as long as the charger works. Including
a few miles covered while I was there, I’d covered 694 miles, most of that
in the two-way journey.

Mass EV rollout around the corner?

The worst energy consumption I saw was 3.3 miles/kWh on motorways and the
best, 4.0 miles/kWh in urban driving, or roughly 165 miles and 200 miles
range respectively from 50kWh of capacity. During the whole trip. I stopped
at eight DC rapid chargers and only two of them worked.

I was left knowing that a Kona Electric 64kWh could comfortably make the
trip with one stop each way especially once I got the hang of predicting the
range more accurately. Affordable long-range EV technology has just about
arrived although there’s still a premium over a conventional equivalent. The
nearest is probably the Kona Premium SE [ice] 1.6 CRDi automatic costing
£24,640, a difference of £10,505.

That said, demand is outstripping supply for the Hyundai and other EV brands
at the moment and one industry source I spoke to recently said that battery
prices are dropping rapidly year on year. That being the case, the truly
affordable EV from Hyundai, and others like Volkswagen with its ID, is
literally around the corner. Let’s just hope the charging networks can keep
up.
[© autocar.co.uk]

+
https://www.connectedtoindia.com/singapores-grab-adds-200-electric-vehicles-to-its-fleet-4970.html
Singapore's Grab adds 200 electric vehicles to its fleet
January 10th 2019  The company has purchased about 200 Hyundai Kona 64 kWH
electric cars and it will release a fleet of 20 vehicles ... car leasing
service GrabRentals ...
https://prod-c2i.s3.amazonaws.com/articles/15471312305c37595ec0196.jpg