EVLN: 3D Printed Hackrod& Siemens Fun AI, VR Electric Roadster (v)

EVLN: 3D Printed Hackrod& Siemens Fun AI, VR Electric Roadster (v)

'Yes, I know it's electric, but where's the engine'

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/06/hackrod-siemens-unveil-fun-electric-roadster-made-of-ai-virtual-reality-3d-printing/
Hackrod & Siemens Unveil Fun Electric Roadster Made of AI, Virtual Reality,
& 3D Printing
April 6th, 2018  Nicolas Zart

[images
https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/04/Siemens-And-Hackrod-AI-3D-VR-Electric-Roadster-4-570x312.png
Siemens And Hackrod AI, 3D, VR Electric Roadster

https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/04/Siemens-And-Hackrod-AI-3D-VR-Electric-Roadster-22-570x291.png

https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/04/Siemens-And-Hackrod-AI-3D-VR-Electric-Roadster-5-570x290.png

https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/04/Siemens-And-Hackrod-AI-3D-VR-Electric-Roadster-570x307.png

https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/04/Siemens-And-Hackrod-AI-3D-VR-Electric-Roadster-1.png

videos
https://youtu.be/TE6gALjSSAs
Hackrod - Powered by Siemens

https://vimeo.com/261053715
]

Never heard of Hackrod? Heard of Siemens? Of course and of course. A new
joint venture between the Californian startup and the German industrial
giant is now exploring virtual reality (VR) and 3D printing to bring us an
electric roadster proof of concept. Yes, it’s “just another concept car,”
but this one seemed worth covering.

When VR, AI, & 3D Printing Give EVs A Helping Hand

Modern technologies sometimes collide and help each other in the the overall
market as a result.

Electric vehicle (EV) technology is maturing today, and it’s a much more
mainstream concept than it was a few years ago. I remember going to auto
shows a decade ago and hearing people ask where the engine is. We would
often hear things like. “Yes, I know it’s electric, but where’s the engine?”
This is less common with EVs today, but AI and VR are more or less at that
stage of awareness and development. The three can all help each other out,
though, to raise awareness further and see more consumer adoption.

One trend I’ve noticed in the last few years is the use of technologies from
other industries, such as aviation or other high-end, precision
manufacturing. This democratization of technology gives startups enough
resources to create an EVs in high-quality ways and less time. VR, AI, 3D
printing, and HPC access and testing are now commonplace in the new
automotive industry, which is largely focused on electric vehicles. The
convergence of these technologies can even help startups shave off precious
time and human resources compared to automotive giants. Case in point:
Lucid’s amazing story of having designed the Air [
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/14/lucid-motors-air-indeed-lucid-vision-original-review-test-ride-part-1/
] in less than 3 years with under 300 people.

The Accelerated Development of the Siemens, Hackrod Electric Roadster

Siemens [
https://www.siemens.com/global/en/home.html
] is now going a step further with Hackrod [
http://hackrod.com/
], collaborating to create an EV designed in virtual reality, engineered
with artificial intelligence (AI), and 3D printed in full size with a
structural alloy.

Officially named “La Bandita,” the speedster is a proof of concept for a
production methodology we hope will entice bigger players to follow.
Essentially, the Hackrod factory of the future will be powered by the
Siemens Digital Innovation Platform (DIP). They say it’s “as easy as playing
a video game.” Now that’s something we can rejoice!

Using the Siemens PLM Software platform [
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/20/siemens-plans-build-37-million-3d-printing-facility-uk/
], such as its NX and cloud-based Solid Edge Portal, Hackrod can access
design and engineering tools to quickly design, test, and manufacture its EV
solutions. By using modern technologies, it reduces the need for massive
industrial infrastructure or tooling budgets, as well as certain testing
phases.

According to Dr. Slade Gardner, Hackrod CTO, “The Hackrod and Siemens PLM
Software partnership is vitally important. … Our shared vision includes
optimized aesthetic design, robust validated engineering, complex advanced
manufacturing and rapid in-situ quality assessment. Because the Hackrod
vision includes rapid data collection for product design and iteration; and
customized manufacturing of sophisticated mechatronic systems, Siemens’
hardware connectivity for Industrial IoT and multi-axis additive
manufacturing are critical to success. The products of our partnership will
illustrate the impact that an efficient and motivated team can have access
to world-class digital design, engineering, visualization, manufacturing,
and inspection power.”

Bob Haubrock, Senior Vice President of Product Engineering Software at
Siemens PLM Software, added, “Hackrod’s vision for automotive design is an
exciting and unique use of our design and engineering software, and is
completely in line with Siemens’ vision for the future of manufacturing. …
We look forward to seeing the ‘La Bandita’ speedster and using it as proof
of concept for this revolutionary design production methodology.”

Why Proofs Of Concept & Prototypes Are So Important

It’s easy to brush off these concepts as unobtainium, but their impact on
the industry is not negligible. Those EVs are not only ways to test the
boundaries of material technology but to also conceive of them. The more
they can be used to explore and test boundaries in a virtual way, the more
they can shave off manufacturing times and costs.

Siemens is definitely making all the right decisions and working with the
right companies, in this case Hackrod, to show what a little creativity and
modern technology can do. In this case, we get a fun electric Roadster
called La Bandita.
[© cleantechnica.com]

+
https://electrek.co/2018/04/10/tesla-model-3-vehicles-imported-fleet-rental-cars/
Tesla Model 3 vehicles get imported in Germany for a fleet of rental cars
Apr. 10th 2018 ... number of Tesla Model 3 vehicles going on the used market
in the US and quickly being purchased by resellers in order to be exported
to other markets where the vehicle is not available yet. Now a car rental
company in Germany even bought 3 Model 3 vehicles for their fleet ...
https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/30123964_271972093344499_4043513135666036736_o-e1523320613750.jpg

Re: EVLN: 3D Printed Hackrod& Siemens Fun AI, VR Electric Roadster (v)

> https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/06/hackrod-siemens-unveil-fun-electric-roadster-made-of-ai-virtual-reality-3d-printing/
> Hackrod & Siemens Unveil Fun Electric Roadster Made of AI, Virtual Reality,

I just hope for their sake that they don’t try to use Siemens components to actually produce something.

                                -Bill

On 15 Apr 2018 at 23:02, Bill Woodcock via EV wrote:

> I just hope for their sake that they donTMt try to use Siemens components to
> actually produce something.

What's the problem with Siemens?

Re: EVLN: 3D Printed Hackrod& Siemens Fun AI, VR Electric Roadster (v)

> On Apr 16, 2018, at 10:24 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What's the problem with Siemens?

The small problem is that their motors have lousy thermal efficiency, and even lousier thermal dissipation.  Nonetheless, they’re inductive, and there weren’t a lot of other non-PM options at the time I was first shopping.  And they’re not so bad that you wouldn’t use them, just bad enough that you wouldn’t choose them now that there are better options.

The big problem is that they try to “pick favorites” among their customers, and choose one among several that are competing with each other, and try to bankrupt the rest.  That’s been particularly obvious in the aviation space, after they decided that Airbus was their customer-of-choice, and all of their other longstanding customers would suddenly have deals revoked or not honored.

With us, they were very buddy-buddy and sending biz-dev folks around to try to pile on additional deals, while ignoring Azure Dynamics, and refusing to sell them hardware they were happily shipping to us.  Azure Dynamics went bankrupt.  We bought most of the remains.  Then Siemens decided they didn’t like us, and refused to send software that was already contracted _and paid for in full_, and said “sue us…  in Germany.”  The problem with that being that they’re essentially immune from lawsuit in Germany, and German law puts the full cost of the defense of an unsuccessful lawsuit onto the plaintiff.  So Siemens just throws their own staff counsel at it, running up the bill as quickly as they can, until the plaintiff bails out because they can’t afford to pay for both sides of the case.

So we’re out less than a half-million in the actual cost of garbage inverters and such that couldn’t be used without the software they never shipped, but lost several million more, and probably three years of time in the friction of trying to deal with them.  We’d have been far, far better off if we’d never heard of them, and just started our process three years later, after there were more component suppliers in the market.

And that story is pretty typical of people in the EV space who’ve tried to deal with them.  The only success I can think of off-hand is the original Ford Ranger; Ford’s big enough and canny enough not to get taken.  But you didn’t see them wanting to deal with Siemens directly again, either.

To my observation, German business culture is just really, really corrupt.  Siemens is constantly getting investigated for different kinds of fraud, and the whole dieselgate thing seemed very typical to me.  We’re sticking with suppliers in the US and Japan and the Netherlands and so forth, going forward.

                                -Bill

Re: EVLN: 3D Printed Hackrod& Siemens Fun AI, VR Electric Roadster (v)

Who is "we"?

On 4/16/2018 4:08 PM, Bill Woodcock via EV wrote:

> [...]
>
> And that story is pretty typical of people in the EV space who’ve tried to deal with them.  The only success I can think of off-hand is the original Ford Ranger; Ford’s big enough and canny enough not to get taken.  But you didn’t see them wanting to deal with Siemens directly again, either.
>
> To my observation, German business culture is just really, really corrupt.  Siemens is constantly getting investigated for different kinds of fraud, and the whole dieselgate thing seemed very typical to me.  We’re sticking with suppliers in the US and Japan and the Netherlands and so forth, going forward.
>
>                                  -Bill

Re: EVLN: 3D Printed Hackrod& Siemens Fun AI, VR Electric Roadster (v)

> On Apr 16, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Alan Arrison via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

One of my companies that’s been banging away at the electric-truck problem for a while.  Not terribly successfully, but learning a lot of lessons along the way.  The Siemens one being probably the most painful one, in terms of ratio of time lost to utility of knowledge gained.

                                -Bill