EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

https://stockhead.com.au/tech/battery-prices-are-plunging-and-that-could-drive-an-electric-car-industry-in-australia/
Battery prices are plunging and that could drive an electric car industry in
Australia
October 5, 2018  Rachel Williamson

[images
https://stockhead.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ev-rubbish-truck.jpg

https://stockhead.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ev-retrofit-truck.jpg
]

The cost of lithium batteries could drop up to 95 per cent in the next
decade, leading to a dramatic expansion in opportunities related to electric
cars, says the boss of one of Australia’s newest electric vehicle companies.

Right now batteries are among the most expensive components in electric
cars. That’s been a major drag on sales — and has limited the market for
batteries and related materials.

But that’s about to change says Tony Fairweather, managing director of
Melbourne electric vehicle (EV) retrofitter SEA Electric.

SEA Electric retrofits commercial trucks and vans to electric power.

Smaller, cheaper and more energy-dense batteries mean Mr Fairweather’s
business can retrofit an increasing variety of vehicles.

The energy density of batteries has improved by a third in the last year —
and that’s a key reason why new EV businesses like SEA are taking off says
Mr Fairweather.

“This is going to turn the commercial vehicle manufacturing space on its
head,” he said at this week’s All Energy conference in Melbourne.

“(Manufacturers) are actively scrambling to find a position in the EV
space.”
A truck retrofitted with an electric drive train by SEA Electric. Pic:
Stockhead

SEA is one type of EV company that a new government committee focusing on
the technology reckons might be Australia’s way into the sector, as the
country plays catch-up in the battery race.

South Australia Senator Tim Storer, who chairs the committee, says he’s
hoping to have a report by December that can guide Australia’s transition to
EVs and support the industries behind that.

There’s no consideration of a return to large-scale car manufacturing in
Australia — but there are opportunities throughout the EV supply chain, he
says.

That includes niche products like Precision Buses’ electric buses in South
Australia, Queensland fast-charger maker Tritium, battery factories like
Magnis Resources which wants to build a Queensland plant, and even WA’s
proposed ‘Lithium Valley’ which will develop Australia’s raw materials into
batteries.

Already the latter process is happening: Lithium Australia and Lepidico are
trying to produce battery grade lithium from mine waste.

Another example is Olivers Food – a roadside retailer that is building Tesla
EV chargers in its car parks.

EVs are bigger in Australia than you think

While most EV-related activity in the ASX-listed sector is limited to
upstream exploration for battery commodities, a lot is happening elsewhere
to advance the Australian market.

Fast charger network installers like Everty, EV products seller GelCo, and
EV bus seller Carbridge as well as backers like the NRMA are all working to
ensure that Australia is prepared for EVs as battery prices fall and cheaper
EV models arrive.

Mr Fairweather says there are three areas of opportunity for EVs: passenger
vehicles, high-end cars, and commercial vehicles.

Commercial is where the fastest uptake is — as businesses begin to convert
their fleets to electric, he says.
A rubbish truck retrofitted with an electric drivetrain by SEA Electric.
Pic: Stockhead

One of the biggest factors in EV prices — and therefore uptake — is public
policy.

The federal government will consider how to manage a fall in excise tax on
petrol and what to replace it with, how to best support EV purchases, and
how to manage the fact that by 2040 11 per cent of Australia’s total energy
consumption is expected to be from EVs, says Senator Storer.

EV prices should start to come down significantly — in part because of
policy efforts — from 2020, he believes.

Can Australia become a battery producer?

While countries like China, Japan, the US and South Korea have already
stolen a march on battery development and production, an impending battery
shortage means new gigafactories are still needed.

There are some 45 gigfactories around the world – plants that make lithium
ion batteries – driving demand for lithium, nickel and graphite.

Australia has potential to “move up the value chain” to start refining
lithium for global markets, according to the Australian Office of the Chief
Economist’s September Quarterly Report.

“More than $3 billion is committed to the development of facilities that
will supply lithium hydroxide to the electric vehicle market, and the number
of full-time workers on lithium projects in Western Australia has increased
from 399 in December 2014 to more than 2600, with thousands more to come,”
the report said.

“Australia’s prospects for entry into this market are mixed. Australia would
likely need to be strongly established at all previous stages of the supply
chain in order to position itself for battery.”

A new port in Kwinana, the fact that Australia has all 35 minerals used in
lithium batteries, and research in West Australia into cathodes are
advantageous, but it needs to be back by government policy supporting the
whole supply chain.
[© stockhead.com.au]

+
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-lg-chem-volkswagen-batteries/lg-chem-to-supply-ev-batteries-to-volkswagen-from-late-2019-idUKKCN1ME0VZ
LG Chem to supply EV batteries to Volkswagen from late 2019
October 4, 2018  SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's LG Chem said on Thursday
that it has secured orders to supply electric vehicle batteries for
Volkswagen (VOWG_p. ... DE) may expand their cooperation to battery and
autonomous cars technology ...

Re: EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

On 9 Oct 2018 at 22:02, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> The cost of lithium batteries could drop up to 95 per cent in the next
> decade ...

... but almost certainly will not.

https://qnovo.com/82-the-cost-components-of-a-battery/

Re: EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

This is nonsense. The Chinese CALB cells cost more than ever.

(Yes, i realize they are talking about cells for production vehicles)

They won't go down either.

Al

On 10/9/2018 11:02 PM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> https://stockhead.com.au/tech/battery-prices-are-plunging-and-that-could-drive-an-electric-car-industry-in-australia/
> Battery prices are plunging and that could drive an electric car industry in
> Australia
> October 5, 2018  Rachel Williamson
>
> [images
> https://stockhead.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ev-rubbish-truck.jpg
>
> https://stockhead.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ev-retrofit-truck.jpg
> ]
>
> The cost of lithium batteries could drop up to 95 per cent in the next
> decade, leading to a dramatic expansion in opportunities related to electric
> cars, says the boss of one of Australia’s newest electric vehicle companies.
>
> Right now batteries are among the most expensive components in electric
> cars. That’s been a major drag on sales — and has limited the market for
> batteries and related materials.
>
> But that’s about to change says Tony Fairweather, managing director of
> Melbourne electric vehicle (EV) retrofitter SEA Electric.
>
> SEA Electric retrofits commercial trucks and vans to electric power.
>
> Smaller, cheaper and more energy-dense batteries mean Mr Fairweather’s
> business can retrofit an increasing variety of vehicles.

Re: EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

And come Jan 1, the import tariff will increase by 25%... under the ‘MAGA’ plan.

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Alan Arrison via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is nonsense. The Chinese CALB cells cost more than ever.
>
> (Yes, i realize they are talking about cells for production vehicles)
>
> They won't go down either.
>
> Al
>

>> On 10/9/2018 11:02 PM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
>>
>> https://stockhead.com.au/tech/battery-prices-are-plunging-and-that-could-drive-an-electric-car-industry-in-australia/
>> Battery prices are plunging and that could drive an electric car industry in
>> Australia
>> October 5, 2018  Rachel Williamson
>>
>> [images
>> https://stockhead.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ev-rubbish-truck.jpg
>>
>> https://stockhead.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Ev-retrofit-truck.jpg
>> ]
>>
>> The cost of lithium batteries could drop up to 95 per cent in the next
>> decade, leading to a dramatic expansion in opportunities related to electric
>> cars, says the boss of one of Australia’s newest electric vehicle companies.
>>
>> Right now batteries are among the most expensive components in electric
>> cars. That’s been a major drag on sales — and has limited the market for
>> batteries and related materials.
>>
>> But that’s about to change says Tony Fairweather, managing director of
>> Melbourne electric vehicle (EV) retrofitter SEA Electric.
>>
>> SEA Electric retrofits commercial trucks and vans to electric power.
>>
>> Smaller, cheaper and more energy-dense batteries mean Mr Fairweather’s
>> business can retrofit an increasing variety of vehicles.

Re: EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

However, the availability of used / salvage large format cells will
increase greatly as more and more EV's are crashed or reach end of life
for other reasons.

Jay

Jay Summet via EV wrote:
> However, the availability of used / salvage large format cells will
> increase greatly as more and more EV's are crashed or reach end of life
> for other reasons.

That's true. It benefits hobby EV'ers like me. :-)

But, the hobby EV market is almost dead. It seems that no one wants to
build their own EV when they can buy a new one from a major automaker
with huge subsidies, or get a used one dirt cheap.

--
Obsolete (Ob-so-LETE). Adjective. 1. Something that is simple,
reliable, straightforward, readily available, easy to use, and

Re: EVLN: 45 li-ion battery-making gigfactories around the world

But it does add hope to having cheaper backup batteries for homes and
power leveling.
Peri