EVLN: $70k JLR I-PACE 'ice-killer' r:200mi 0-60:4.5s

EVLN: $70k JLR I-PACE 'ice-killer' r:200mi 0-60:4.5s

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/5055410/the-jaguar-i-pace-is-not-living-up-to-its-tesla-killer-moniker/
The Jaguar I-PACE Is Not Living Up To Its ‘Tesla Killer’ Moniker (Opinion)
2018-09-03  Simon Alvarez

[image  / VanderWolf Images / Shutterstock
https://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/jaguar-i-pace.jpg

share
https://twitter.com/AutoExpress/status/1036267507089166336
Auto Express @AutoExpress
IN-DEPTH REVIEW: the #Jaguar I-Pace isn’t just the best electric car on
sale, it is one of the most exciting cars on sale full stop… >>
https://aex.ae/2PNNcMc
10:00 AM - Sep 2, 2018
]

The Jaguar I-PACE is many things, but a 'Tesla Killer' it is not.

The following article is entirely the opinion of Simon Alvarez and does not
reflect the views of the Inquisitr.
Simon Alvarez

There are many electric cars that have been branded as a “Tesla Killer,” but
the one closest to hitting the mark (apart from the Chevy Bolt, which GM is
strangely not aggressively selling to compete against the Model 3) is the
Jaguar I-PACE. A crossover all-electric SUV, the I-PACE is powerful enough,
and it even has a decent range of about 200 miles per charge.

But is it a Tesla Killer? Not really.

There is no doubt that the I-PACE is a great electric car. Its performance
is not bad either, with a 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds, which is quicker
than the Tesla Model X 100D. Size-wise, the I-PACE is quite a bit smaller
than the Model S and X, being closer in size to the Model 3. Starting at
$69,500, the Jaguar I-PACE sits right at the same price point as the
entry-level Model S, the 75D, according to WIRED. That said, inasmuch as the
I-PACE’s cost is justifiable considering the price of its competition, it
falls a little bit when compared to a Model 3 of the same price.

The Tesla Model 3 starts at $35,000, though the base variant is not being
manufactured by Tesla as of yet, according to a Top Gear report. The Model
3’s top-tier variant, the Model 3 Performance, is in the same price point as
the entry-level Jaguar I-PACE, costing $64,000 before any options. For that
$64,000, the Model 3 has roughly the same space as the I-PACE, but with
superior speed, range, and performance.

The Model 3 Performance is designed to beat high-performance cars like the
BMW M3 and the Audi RS5. Its acceleration is pretty brutal, allowing the
electric vehicle to sprint from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The Tesla’s range
is also 315 miles per charge, and it is supported by the company’s
Supercharger network, which is growing by the day. As noticed by these
specs, the Model 3 Performance before any options actually outperforms the
Jaguar I-PACE, and it travels farther per charge too.

While it is easy to market a new EV as a Tesla Killer, it should be noted
that the more accurate term for this new line of electric cars is a “fossil
fuel car killer,” in the way that they boast specs and performance figures
that surpass that of gasoline-powered vehicles. Thus, instead of trying to
“kill” Tesla, a company that exclusively manufactures electric cars, it
would be far better to compare the I-PACE to competing gasoline cars
instead.
[© inquisitr.com]

+
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2021177-coventry-become-home-country%e2%80%99s-first-manufacturing-site-electric-car-batteries
Coventry to become home to UK’s first manufacturing site for electric car
batteries
September 11 2018 ... for electric cars through a joint venture between the
parent company of the Williams Formula One ... The facility provides a
secure future supply chain for UK-based car-makers as their vehicles
transition to electric power, with the potential to provide similar
solutions to developing marine and aircraft projects in future ...