EVLN: An EV-PV adopter's quest> charging on sunshine

EVLN: An EV-PV adopter's quest> charging on sunshine

https://insideevs.com/yes-your-ev-can-charge-on-sunshine/
Yes, Your Electric Car Can Charge On Sunshine
APR 16 2018  MARK HOVIS

[images
https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/solar-poer-rankings.png

https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/zappi-300x180.png
zappi evse

https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/zappi-3.png

https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/smartboost-1.png
smartboost

https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/First-Solar-Roof-Install-Low.jpg
roof pv
]

How and when we choose to charge our electric cars is important.

Charging on sunshine is a quest of many an EV-PV adopter. Many critics are
quick to claim EVs not charging during the solar hours are still dirty
energy devices. This argument has been debunked for some time here. And by
no means does it diminish the importance of offsetting one’s usage with the
solar or wind energy.

Future PV arrays may be forced to evaluate the economics of maximizing solar
usage. Early PV solar adopters have grandfathered net metering arrangements
with their utility allowing them to sell energy at full retail compensation
in which they purchase.

Future Challenges

Oh, if it were that simple. The 2018 state power rankings can be found here
on SolarPowerRocks.com which gives an idea of the variations in solar policy
from state to state in the US.  Furthermore, regions internal to each US
state do not have access to the much needed net metering. This is most often
found with energy cooperatives.

Most states overall have good net metering policies though varied from state
to state. A 2017 study showed that only 3% of US utilities offer full retail
compensation with the remainder offering less than full compensation. Every
state has variations to their solar policies and many of those offerings are
under review. here For the 1% of early adopters that are grandfathered into
the good old days of full compensation, good for them. They deserve it for
paying the price of being early adopters. But for the 98%+ remaining, the
policies are undergoing continuous change.

Solar policies will continue to change as renewable storage becomes a viable
option. The age of battery storage is still in its infancy and the number of
cycles available with current battery chemistry deters most EV owners from
pursuing V2G (vehicle to grid) technology that shortens the life of the EV
battery when used as a storage device. How and when we choose to charge our
EVs still have many options to consider.

A niche solution

For the EV-PV adopter that is able to charge at least one of their EVs
during sunlight hours, there are some clever EVSEs emerging that enhance the
usage of solar power.

As a faithful reader and contributor to InsideEVs, I was introduced to the
myenergi zappi EVSE here via an episode of Fully Charged. This UK based
company has provided an eco-smart Level 2 charger with three unique charging
modes designed to fit most charging scenarios while optimizing
microgeneration self-consumption.

Myenergi Zappi Features

Type 1 or Type 2 connectors are J1772 and EN62196 respectively.

The first draw to the myenergi zappi is the simple yet clever interface
providing single touch access to its three charging modes

Fast Mode:

The zappi fast mode functions like a standard EVSE delivering up to 7kW
provided the supply connection is suitably rated.

Eco:

Eco mode continually adjusts the charge rate to limit the use of grid
electricity by monitoring your household consumption and using the remaining
power to charge your EV. However, if at any time, the available surplus
power drops below 1.4kW, the shortfall will be drawn from the grid.

Eco+:

For those who enjoy driving on sunshine, or are getting wholesale pricing
for their surplus power, this is the mode for you.  Like Eco mode, Eco+
continually adjusts the charge rate based on your household consumption
while using the remaining power to charge your EV. In Eco+, the zappi pauses
if there is insufficient surplus power. With Eco+, it is possible to power
your EV entirely from solar by setting the Min Green Level to 100%.

Zappi Installation Review

Having purchased a myenergi zappi,  I went straight away putting ECO+ to the
test. I set the Zappi to Eco+ and watched it go through its checks before
charging commenced. So far, so good. I then went to start some heavy
draining appliances including our clothes dryer and convection oven. Both of
these units cycle their heating element and right away made the zappi cycle
on and off. In fact, it began to cycle on and off every few minutes. This
was due to the 30-second default delay threshold of the zappi. Simply
configuring the start-stop threshold to 45 seconds in the settings menu made
for an elegant solution.
The clever relationship between Eco and Boost modes

The Eco modes handle the task of monitoring your available energy. The Boost
modes make sure your EV always has the needed energy for your lifestyle.

Manual Boost:

Manual Boost is useful if you have drained your EV and wish to add a little
energy regardless of tariff or renewable availability. The amount of energy
you add is configurable.

Smart Boost:

Smart Boost is the perfect assist to Eco and Eco+ mode. This mode will
charge your EV with a minimum kWh by a predetermined time. Eco modes get the
most from microgeneration without making decisions on total energy stored.
Smart Boost ensures a specific amount of energy for your lifestyle needs.
Say your daily commute requires 17kWh by 7:00 AM.  This is achieved by
entering your personal energy needs under settings and activating Smart
Boost. Smart Boost will start at the latest possible time adding the set
energy amount eliminating complex planning. Do this when you need it or set
it and forget it.

Economy Tariff Boosting:

The zappi can achieve tariff boosting in one of three methods. By setting
the boost timer to coincide with tariff times. Boost only at set times if
the tariff rate is available. Boost whenever the economy tariff is available
regardless of time.

Myenergi zappi
Proving the data

Myenergi is currently developing an app that will let you download all data
from the date of install and remotely control settings in the near future.
Meanwhile, I monitored the installation with the assistance of another
product the Sense Home Energy Monitor. The Sense module installs in your
main power meter base and connects via CT clamps for monitoring both
microgeneration and household usage. The Sense app displays real-time solar
usage upon installation. It teaches itself over time the different
electrical components throughout your home like the EVSE. The zappi includes
an event log, while the Sense app does the same as well as helping get a
visual of how to better use household components alongside your EVSE.
Though the zappi has a built-in surge protection, it did require a ground
fault breaker in the service panel.

Planning for the future

The myenergi zappi is available for around $625 US. Solar or wind is not
required to use the zappi. However, the zappi provides many functions like
tariff sense input, programmable timer, pin-code lock, and event logging,
that make it a smart choice functioning as a standard yet sophisticated
EVSE.  It also future proofs your usage if you are planning for the days
when you adopt wind or solar.  As a user, I am delighted with this EVSE.  As
Robert Llewellyn reports from the UK, “For anyone with solar panels it’s a
no-brainer”. For the many US states with less than a grade A solar rating
graphed above, and those who lack access to net metering all together, this
is a bargain. For those who want to declare “In fact, I do drive on
sunshine”, it is priceless!
[© insideevs.com]
https://www.google.com/search?q=Myenergi+Zappi
Myenergi Zappi

+
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/chargepoints-home-unit-serves-ev-users-on-the-move-feature
ChargePoint’s Home Unit Serves EV Users on the Move
Measuring the amount of energy an electric car consumes isn’t as easy as
reading a gas pump. For our testing purposes, in most cases we have relied
on either a very simple and portable in-line submeter for 120-volt charging
or a single 240 …

Re: EVLN: An EV-PV adopter's quest> charging on sunshine

Hi Bruce,

I'm not really sure what this is. Can you clarify? Is it from EVDL,
ChargePoint? Is it a release? Thanks for the clarification,

[image: Picture]
Nicolas Zart
CleanTechnica <https://cleantechnica.com/?s=nicolas+zart> e-Mobility SME
Co-Founder, CarNewsCafe.com
Communication & Business Strategy

"As Above, So Below.  As Below, So Above"

Disclaimer: This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
WHICH ALSO MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and is intended only for the use of
the intended recipients identified above. If you are not the intended
recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient and have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify us by reply email, delete the communication and destroy
all copies.