EVLN: Bolt handled& held up well during 3+hr NY autocross

EVLN: Bolt handled& held up well during 3+hr NY autocross

https://www.mysanantonio.com/technology/businessinsider/article/I-drove-an-electric-car-for-the-first-time-under-12963828.php
I drove an electric car for the first time under intense conditions — and it
performed surprisingly well
June 3, 2018  Mark Matousek

[images  / Mark Matousek / Business Insider
https://static6.businessinsider.com/image/5b1031471ae66244008b498b-2000/img3285.jpg
chevy bolt autocross

https://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5b102fad1ae6621b008b4954/the-autocross-course-was-set-up-in-the-parking-lot-of-citi-field-the-new-york-mets-baseball-stadium.jpg
ny stadium

https://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5b10301f1ae66240008b4a0b/five-total-cars-were-available-to-drive--four-chevy-bolts-and-a-gas-powered-volkswagen-golf-gti.jpg
5 cars

https://static5.businessinsider.com/image/5b1031471ae66244008b498b/two-of-the-bolts-had-all-season-tires-like-the-one-in-this-photo.jpg
tires
]

  - I drove an electric vehicle, a Chevy Bolt, for the first time on an
autocross course.
  - The Bolt's acceleration wasn't remarkable, but it handled well. I felt
like it was always under control, even when I pushed it into a series of
hard turns.
  - I came away with a positive impression of the Bolt. Almost none of the
maneuvers required by the course would apply to everyday driving, but the
course demonstrated how the Bolt could hold up in unusual circumstances.

A Chevy Bolt [EV] is not the first car you might think to use on an
autocross track ...

Autocross is a timed competition in which cones are arranged, often in a
flat and spacious environment like a parking lot, to create a course that
tests a driver's ability to make a number of tight turns with precision. A
modestly-priced car might not seem like the most logical choice for this
sort of event, but on a 2017 list of the cars best suited for autocross, the
automotive publication Road & Track included affordable [ice] vehicles like
the Ford Fiesta and Honda Civic alongside a Porsche Cayman and Corvette.

Like the Fiesta, the Bolt is light and compact, which helps with agility and
tight turns. And its 266 pound-feet of torque tops [EV] competitors like the
Nissan Leaf (236 pound-feet) and the BMW i3 (184 pound-feet). While it won't
provide blistering acceleration (it takes 6.2 seconds to go from 0-60 mph)
or race car-level handling, the Bolt can navigate tight turns and frequent
changes in speed without spinning out of control.

The Bolt was also the first fully-electric vehicle I've driven. First
released in late 2016, the Bolt is General Motors' mass-market electric car,
beating Tesla's mass-market vehicle, the Model 3, to market by a year. With
238 miles of range, the Bolt set out to ease range anxiety without breaking
the bank.

While my first experience with the Bolt — and electric cars in general —
came under unusual circumstances, it demonstrated how electric vehicle
technology has progressed to a point where early stereotypes about electric
vehicles being flimsy and impractical no longer apply.

Here's how the Bolt held up over three hours of runs on an autocross track.

[image]  The autocross course was set up in the parking lot of Citi Field,
the New York Mets' baseball stadium.

[image]  Five total cars were available to drive — four Chevy Bolts and a
gas-powered Volkswagen Golf GTI.

[image]  Two of the Bolts had all-season tires, like the one in this photo.
[© mysanantonio.com]

https://jalopnik.com/i-started-my-racing-career-in-a-chevrolet-bolt-ev-1826569240
Here's How The Chevrolet Bolt EV Drives When It's Pushed To Its Limits In A
Parking Lot
2018-06-06  It wasn’t scary at first. “It will be fun,” my friends at
Jalopnik said. But I was anxious. I’d never done autocross before. I’ve
barely driven new cars, and I’d never driven an electric vehicle at all ...
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Iu05aD-t--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ldx71zpodttatgwd7vlh.jpg

+
https://electrek.co/2018/06/06/porsche-mission-e-tesla-killer/
Porsche: Mission E doesn’t aim to be a Tesla killer, it aims to be a ‘real
Porsche’
Jun. 6th 2018  Porsche is still gradually marketing its Mission E electric
vehicle a full year ahead of going into production. Stefan Weckbach, Head of
the BEV Model Series at ...
https://youtu.be/ZBADJfA5Bo4