EVLN: Bolt production increase @Orion plant Detroit-MI (v)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/mary-barra-gm-ceraweek-chevy-bolt.html
GM increasing Chevy Bolt production in a step toward all-electric future:
CEO Mary Barra
2018/03/07  Tom DiChristopher

[video  flash
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/03/07/general-motors-ceo-mary-barra-we-see-an-all-electric-future.html
GM CEO Mary Barra: We see an all electric future
Tuesday, 6 Mar 2018 | 6:00 PM CT | 09:19
CNBC's Brian Sullivan reports the highlights of his conversation with
General Motors CEO Mary Barra including comments on trade and the future for
electric vehicles.
]

    General Motors CEO Mary Barra announces the car company will expand
production of its Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle.
    GM will increase production of the Chevrolet Bolt later this year at its
Orion Assembly plant near Detroit to meet growing global demand for the
all-electric model.
    The exact production ramp is still being determined but will create
jobs.
    GM also is looking for partners in the energy industry and beyond to
help it build out a US network of EV charging stations.

General Motors CEO Mary Barra announced her company will expand production
of its Chevrolet Bolt electric car, during a speech plotting GM's path to a
zero-emissions future at one of the biggest energy conferences of the year.

Barra's address came on the heels of a day focused on the viability of oil
at the annual CERAWeek by IHS Markit conference in Houston, where many
energy executives challenged the notion that alternative fuels and electric
vehicles will soon displace the internal combustion engine.

On Monday, Saudi Aramco CEO Amin Nasser told CNBC it would take
"generations" for a transformation toward electric vehicles in the
transportation industry to take place.

"I think it's going to happen more quickly than decades," Barra told CNBC in
an interview on the sidelines of the conference.

"As more and more people recognize that we have the right range, understand
that we have a charging infrastructure so they don't think you're going to
be stranded, I think you're going to see EV adoption continue," the GM CEO
said.

GM will increase production of the Chevrolet Bolt later this year at its
Orion Assembly plant near Detroit to meet growing demand around the world
for the all-electric model, Barra announced on Wednesday.

Barra said the scale of the production increase was yet to be determined,
but the ramp-up would create new jobs at the plant.

In a speech, Barra called on the energy industry and other stakeholders to
partner with GM to expand the U.S. network of charging stations. She said
the infrastructure would boost customers' confidence that they can use their
electric vehicles anywhere and anytime.

"You've got to have good consumer confidence that they're going to be able
to drive their vehicles and it's going to support their daily lives and
their hectic life," she said. "We see a role in investing, in partnering and
making sure that that customer need is fulfilled," Barra added. She noted
that GM is working on some partnerships, but did not have anything to
announce yet.

The GM CEO also implored the power sector to continue deploying renewable
energy generation, saying it would entice environmentally conscious drivers
off the sidelines by lowering the carbon footprint of electric vehicles.

The United States still draws roughly 30 percent of its electricity from
coal-fired power plants, so many plug-ins still rely on a major contributor
to global warming to charge up.

Barra also said Congress should expand tax credits for electric vehicles.
[© cnbc.com]

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115652_gm-ceo-mary-barra-chevrolet-to-expand-bolt-ev-production-push-for-unified-fuel-economy-standards
GM CEO Mary Barra: Chevrolet to expand Bolt EV production, push for unified
fuel-economy standards
Mar 7, 2018  General Motors CEO Mary Barra told energy conference attendees
in Houston on Wednesday the automaker would increase production of its
newest electric vehicle, push for a single fuel-economy standard nationwide,
and support expanding tax credits for electrified vehicles. "The good news
is that our generation has the ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-ceo-pushes-for-renewed-tax-breaks-on-electric-vehicles-1520450100
GM CEO Pushes for Renewed Tax Breaks on Electric Vehicles
March 7, 2018  Chief Executive Mary Barra is pressing Washington for an
expansion of electric-vehicle tax credits, a plea that would help the
company and rivals like Tesla Inc. sell battery-powered cars in an era of
cheap gasoline and skepticism about alternative vehicles. A handful of auto
makers face the expiration of $7,500 income-tax ...

Re: EVLN: Bolt production increase @Orion plant Detroit-MI (v)

Mary also said that GM believes in an all electric future, a future
where she did not see hybrids long term.

---
- Mark