EVLN: Chinese and Russians control the vanadium supply

EVLN: Chinese and Russians control the vanadium supply

brucedp2

Nissan Leaf uses a lithium-vanadium battery

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3483658
New mine in the works
Calgary-based Ironstone Resources Ltd. is looking to open an iron ore mine in Clear Hills by 2018
By Graeme Bruce  02/29/2012

A Calgary-based company is looking to add iron to the Peace Country’s
list of natural resources.

Ironstone Resources Ltd. is expecting to open a mine in the Clear
Hills area north of Fairview, aiming for 2018.

But the key to Ironstone’s persistence is the vanadium prospects.
Vanadium is most commonly used to strengthen and decrease the weight
of steel, but it has other uses as well.

The Nissan Leaf, an all-electric vehicle released last year, uses a
lithium-vanadium battery.

According to Ironstone CEO Barry Caplan, the export opportunities are
great.

“We’re producing a very niche product...it’ll be a small component of
(direct reduced iron) traded around the world,” he said.

“The U.S. market is strategically important to vanadium because they
are quite concerned the Chinese and Russians control the supply.”

Since acquiring the mineral properties in 2008, 230 holes have been
drilled in the Rambling Creek and North Whitemud areas to determine
the extent of the iron ore deposits, estimated at one billion tonnes.

The mine will translate into 250-500 direct jobs in the Peace
Country, and even more indirect job opportunities.

“We’re looking at thousands of people moving into the Peace Country.”

Infrastructure will also be affected. If rail is used to transport
the material, a line is needed between the 80,000-hectare site and
the North Peace town of Manning, which is on the Great Slave Lake
Railway running north from Roma Junction, near Peace River.

Meanwhile, according to Caplan, Fairview has announced plans to
increase the capacity of its airport to accommodate traffic during
development. The region is best accessed via Fairview at present.

Ironstone has also been in talks with Grande Prairie Regional College
to discuss potential programs offered to accommodate a lack of
skilled labour and said a lot of the jobs will need technical skills.

“Kids entering high school today will be in a position to take those
jobs when the site is commissioned,” Caplan said.

“We’ve had a tremendous response from (area municipalities); they see
this as a huge legacy project. One of their objectives perennially is
to keep their kids close to home...the trouble is there aren’t any
skilled jobs around for them.”

The mine is expected to have a lifespan of 75 years, and Caplan said
the company will recover the land as mining takes place.

“Our story is very compelling because it’s a large supply, probably
the largest vanadium source in the western hemisphere.”

The project is about to undergo environmental impact assessments, and
the company is still seeking further investors.

The company may make itself public on the stock market in order to
raise capital.

The history of the iron ore deposit in Clear Hills goes back to 1924
when local trappers first found it. Three decades later, it was
rediscovered but it was too low-grade to make development worthwhile

In 1980, the Alberta government pegged the deposits at 1.124 billion
tonnes of 34% iron ore

In 2008, Ironstone did a 51-hole drilling program at Rambling Creek,
estimating there are 646 million pounds of vanadium, the demand for
which is growing by 7% to 8% per year. Currently, the mineral is
imported to North America and only 55,000 tonnes is produced per
year.

Ore recovered from test holes is being stored on 120 acres of Canfor
property near Hines Creek.

QUICK FACTS

• Vanadium is a hard but ductile, silver-grey metal. Some sources
  describe vanadium as “soft,” perhaps because it is malleable and
  not brittle.

• It has good corrosion resistance and it is stable against alkalis,
  sulphuric and hydrochloric acids.

• It was first discovered in 1801 but was subsequently viewed as
  identical to chromium. The element was rediscovered in 1831 by
  Swedish chemist Nils Gabriel Sefstrom, who named it vanadium after
  the Germanic goddess of beauty and fertility, Vanadis (Freyja).

• Vanadium is mined mostly in South Africa, northwestern China and
  eastern Russia. In 2010 these three countries mined more than 98%
  of the 56,000 tonnes of produced vanadium.
[© 2012 Sun Media Corporation]

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Chinese and Russians control the vanadium supply

AMPhibian
brucedp2 wrote
Nissan Leaf uses a lithium-vanadium battery
It does?  I thought it was LiMn?

Re: EVLN: Chinese and Russians control the vanadium supply

brucedp5
[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Chinese-and-Russians-control-the-vanadium-supply-td4443419.html
]

I had not heard of that type and was hoping someone would explain.

http://google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=leaf+electric+battery+lithium+vanadium
A web search on  leaf electric battery lithium vanadium

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=ESLEF6000012000002000A33000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no

http://google.com/#hl=en&biw=676&bih=630&sclient=psy-ab&q=lithium-vanadium&pbx=1&oq=lithium-vanadium
A web search on  lithium-vanadium

{brucedp.150m.com}