EVLN: Converted Mazda5 EV goes 457 Slovenian miles on 1charge (videos)

EVLN: Converted Mazda5 EV goes 457 Slovenian miles on 1charge (videos)

Converted Mazda5 EV goes 457 miles on one charge in Slovenia
By  Sebastian Blanco  Oct 31st 2014  Institut Metron  ht2 Matt P.

Mazda 5 EV

Andrej Pecjak  Feb 19, 2012
Superpiki - electric SMART Roadster driving with gearbox in function, 160 km range and 115 kmh top speed

First drive with Electric car SMART Piki
Andrej Pecjak  Jan 3, 2012
It was my first drive with converted electric Smart Piki 1. After that we made more Piki's and also a Superpiki - converted Smart Roadster
Andrej Pecjak

Slovenia's Andrej Pecjak Had Kilometers To Spare After Reaching Croatia

There's a lot of EV love going on in Slovenia. While we've heard about the country's biofuel work before, the electric vehicle scene has thus far escaped our radar. This will no longer be the case, thanks to the work of Andrej Pecjak and the crew at the Metron Institut.

Recently, Pacjak and his partner Jasna drove an electric car – a converted Mazda5 – from Bled (in Sloveniva) to Dubrovnik (in Croatia), a distance of 736 kilometers, without recharging. That's 457 miles on everyday roads in everyday traffic while loaded up with "all necessary luggage" and covering at least 5,000 meters of elevation changes up the Adriatic coast. The duo drove on some highways, but the overall average speed was an easy 40 miles per hour (roughly). "As far as we now nobody has ever driven so far without charging in normal traffic conditions," the Institut wrote.

The exact technology used in the conversion is not being disclosed (at least, not in English on the site), but Metron is saying that the conversion uses "96 lithium polymer chobalt (sic) based cells stored in special light boxes under the car" for its battery. Throw in a lightweight Letrika IPM motor and controller and Metron claims that "efficiency is so high that when driving up to 80 km/h [50 mph] we do not need any air intakes for cooling (we have a patented cooling system)." We can't verify any of this, but it certainly appears like the trip was a real success.

Pacjak himself is no stranger to EV conversions. Below, you can see two short clips of him scooting on electrons in a Smart Roadster (the "Superpiki") and an old, converted Fortwo (the "Smart Piki").
[© green.autoblog.com]

736 KM (460 miles) WITHOUT CHARGING

Our team Andrej and Jasna  drove  on 11th and 12th of October from Bled in Slovenija till Dubrovnik in Croatia (726  km  and 5000 to 6000 meters of uphill) without charging. We drove at normal traffic speed (66 and 63 km/h average speed including short stops at border passes, construction works on roads etc) and not “dead slow” as most records have been set and we also had all necessary luggage in our car. We were accopmanied by Igor Kolovrat and a cameraman filming the whole trip in one car and one jouranlist and representative from Bled tourism in another car. At the end we had to drive another 10 km to marina where we got 3 phase charging socket. So actually we drove 736 km or 460 miles without charging and there was still energy for approx 15 km of flat road left.

Round table, press conference and overview of the route was at “Triglavska roza” (Bled) on 10th of October at 18h

As far as we now nobody has ever driven so far without charging in normal traffic conditions.

Depart from Triglavska roza at Bled

Sealing our charging plug. If everything goes well, it Will be unsealed in Dubrovnik

Uphills, more uphills at Adriatic coast….

Starigrad Paklenica, approx half way to Dubrovnik. 51%, it is going to be tough…

There was also some highway driving during our trip

Metron 7 entering the old city of Dubrovnik after 726 km and more then 5000 meters of uphill

At Stradun – the main square in Dubrovnik

Battery is more or less empty, but after we still had to do another 10 km to marina where we had 3 phase charging available. So we actually did 736 km without charging…

We drove with 2 persons and luggage on board all the time:

Technology used in this car:

We have used a lot of advanced technologies to improve vehicle’s range. If we had more funds we would have done the whole new body and the car would be even more efficient, but basically we succeeded at what we intended to even by converting an existing car. One important part are batteries: 96 lithium polymer chobalt based cells stored in special light boxes under the car weighting almost 500 kg including boxes and connections. We managed to keep the car just slightly over its original weight, so its weight does not exceed 1800 kg. Other important part is the new Letrika IPM motor and controller with special light weight and high efficiency construction. Efficiency is so high that when driving up to 80 km/h we do not need any air intakes for cooling (we have a patented cooling system), so aerodynamics is higher. There are numerous small details based on our decade long EV construction experience, that make this Mazda 5 based car so efficient that we can drive 700 km per charge.  Some of them we reveal at our technical trainings, some remain secret…
[© eauto.si]

For EVLN posts use:

Who wouldn't want to play w/ a Lego wind or solar farm powering an EVSE? Shell-Oil used Lego to normalise & promote ice & gas-stations

U.S. Energy Dept. still pump/dumping wad$ of fcv-Unicorn ca$h

Feldheim.de smart-off-grid powered EVSE> wind, sun, pig-manure, bio+
EVLN: Say Watt? TMC sez no one wants a Toyota EV ...