EVLN: Daimler e-trucks made in Silicon_Forest-OR factory (v)

EVLN: Daimler e-trucks made in Silicon_Forest-OR factory (v)

https://electrek.co/2019/04/24/daimler-electric-trucks-portland/
Daimler to make all-electric Freightliner trucks at converted Portland
factory
Apr. 24th 2019  Phil Dzikiy

[image
https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/12/18C0514_021-e1545390061439.jpg

shares
https://twitter.com/DaimlerTrucksNA/status/1121110444846931969
Daimler Trucks NA  @DaimlerTrucksNA     · 14h
    Replying to @DaimlerTrucksNA
    “We will build electric school buses in the Carolinas, powered by
@Proterra_Inc and assembled by @ThomasBuiltBus. We look forward to taking
orders once our EPA and CARB applications are approved."

    Daimler Trucks NA  @DaimlerTrucksNA
    “We are excited to announce today that we will manufacture our medium
and heavy-duty battery-electric vehicles in the Silicon Forest of Portland,
where our plant is being renovated to produce high voltage battery-electric
vehicles."
    12:55 PM - Apr 24, 2019

https://twitter.com/DaimlerTrucksNA/status/1121111782653751296
Daimler Trucks NA  @DaimlerTrucksNA          · 14h
    Replying to @DaimlerTrucksNA

    “We are excited to announce today that we will manufacture our medium
and heavy-duty battery-electric vehicles in the Silicon Forest of Portland,
where our plant is being renovated to produce high voltage battery-electric
vehicles."

Daimler Trucks NA  @DaimlerTrucksNA
    “This is our future. This is the beginning of the post-internal
combustion engine era for commercial vehicles.”
   1:00 PM - Apr 24, 2019

video  flash
https://www.facebook.com/ACTExpo/videos/372932823429985/
Advanced Clean Transportation Expo was live. 15 hrs ·
We are LIVE with our 2019 keynote Daimler Trucks North America President &
CEO Roger Nielsen from the Long Beach Convention Center
]

Daimler will convert its existing factory in Portland to manufacture the
company’s all-electric Freightliner trucks, Daimler Trucks North America CEO
Roger Nielsen said today.

Nielsen made his remarks at the Advanced Clean Transportation Expo in Long
Beach, California today. The Portland plant will be renovated next year,
with production of all-electric trucks to start in 2021.

DTNA said it decided to make the electric vehicles in Portland based on
“multiple factors,” but specifically cited the Oregon city’s proximity to
California, where EV demand is high. The facility will also be home to a
battery storage facility and “an electric vehicle co-creation center, where
the e-consulting team will collaborate with customers.” DTNA said the
renovated plant will run on 100% renewable energy.

DTNA also announced that its school bus division, Thomas Built Buses (TBB),
will soon start producing Proterra-powered Saf-T-Liner eC2s. Those buses
will be assembled at TBB’s school bus manufacturing plant in High Point,
N.C.

Nielsen made a number of other remarks at the event, and he was all-in on
the potential of electric vehicles:

    “The road to emissions-free transportation is going to be driven with
battery-electric vehicles. I believe the future is electric.”

DTNA says it will put 50 electric trucks on US roads for testing by the end
of 2019, including a test fleet and the Freightliner Electric Innovation
Fleet, which is shared between Penske and NFI. Including affiliated brands
Fuso and Mercedes-Benz — with their electric eCanter and Actros,
respectively — Daimler expects to deploy almost 200 fully electric vehicles
worldwide by year’s end for “testing, co-creation and collaboration.”

Plug-in hybrids will not be a part of DTNA’s plans, and natural gas
Freightliner vehicles are seen as “an interim solution” until the battery
electric Freightliner eM2 and eCascadia are ready for full
commercialization.

DTNA believes hydrogen fuel cells might be able to extend the range of its
electric vehicles in the future, but does not see them as viable at the
moment. “I can see glimpse [sic] of it over the horizon, but it will not be
this generation of engineers who will be delivering it,” Nielsen said.

Head of Daimler Trucks & Buses Martin Daum said earlier this year that Tesla
will “learn the hard way” as it enters the trucking industry.
[© electrek.co]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Forest
Silicon Forest is a nickname for the cluster of high-tech companies located
in the Portland metropolitan area in the U.S. state of Oregon, and most
frequently refers to the industrial corridor between Beaverton and Hillsboro
in northwest Oregon. The name is analogous to Silicon Valley ...
https://www.siliconmaps.com/silicon-forest/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_technology_centers#Places_with_%22Silicon%22_names
[dated]
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/why-oregons-tech-sector-has-gone-from-hot-to-only-lukewarm/
Why Oregon’s tech sector has gone from hot to only lukewarm
May 14, 2017 - PORTLAND — The Silicon Forest is in a slump. Tech was
Oregon's hottest sector coming out of the Great Recession, handily outpacing
other ... Oregon tech may be suffering an innovation deficit, contributing
to a broader malaise ...
https://imgnorthwest.com/news/portlands-silicon-forest-continues-to-grow/

https://www.fleetowner.com/running-green/daimlers-nielsen-says-batteries-only-path-electric-trucks
Daimler's Nielsen says batteries, not fuel cells, only path for electric
trucks
Apr 24, 2019  And advancements are happening so rapidly, it is “the
beginning of the post internal combustion engine era for commercial
vehicles,” he said April 24 at the Advanced Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/tesla-shows-its-all-electric-semi-delivering-cars-to-customers/
Tesla Shows Its All-Electric Semi Delivering Cars To Customers
April 24, 2019 ... released a series of pictures and promotional videos
showing a Semi prototype carrying four different Teslas and delivering them
to customers. One of the videos shows the eager customers of a new Tesla
excitedly taking delivery when a Semi rolls into their neighborhood with
their car on the trailer ...
https://images.carscoops.com/2019/04/f2000c53-tesla-semi-4.jpg