EVLN: EV owner tossed lrr tires4 sticky-performance= less range

EVLN: EV owner tossed lrr tires4 sticky-performance= less range

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/a33014419/how-stickier-tires-impact-an-electric-cars-range/
How Stickier Tires Impact an Electric Car's Range
Jul 2, 2020 ...  There has been one major tradeoff: efficiency. Prior to the
new wheels, I averaged 140 miles of range per charge, far beyond the
overachieving e-Golf’s 125-mile EPA rating. Afterward, it dropped to under
100 miles ...
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/3-preparation-3-ballast-1593698012.jpg

+ (.au luxury car tax threshold lifted4 EVs)
https://thedriven.io/2020/07/01/australias-luxury-car-tax-threshold-quietly-lifted-for-electric-vehicles/
Australia’s luxury car tax threshold quietly lifted for electric vehicles
July 1, 2020 ... will be relaxed to AU$77,565 ... EVs like the Tesla Model 3
standard range plus, and the Hyundai Kona electric Highlander, can fit
comfortably below the luxury tax ...
https://thedriven.io/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/jptesla-boabs-800x450.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts view:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/
https://mail-archive.com/ev@.../maillist.html

Re: EVLN: EV owner tossed lrr tires4 sticky-performance= less range

So, if you want sticky tires, you need to buy an approximately 20%
larger battery. At least if you measure it with a EPA style route.

Since range normally becomes an issue when one has to travel long
distances by freeway, I wonder if a better test would be simply driving
on the freeway at 65-75 mph for 2 hours ? How do the sticky tires
compare in that case, when competing with a high wind resistance ?

Personally, without compromising safety, I would go for the most
efficient tire. Why waste energy if you don't have to ?

Peri

<< Want to know about the effects of leaf blowers ?
https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

On 4 Jul 2020 at 14:42, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> Personally, without compromising safety, I would go for the most
> efficient tire. Why waste energy if you don't have to ?

From reading the R&T article, I guess some drivers actually enjoy the
sensation of having their entrails located 3 or 4 inches to the side of
their abdominal cavities while driving round corners.

Not me.  But I know folks who get their kicks driving that way.  To each his
own, as long as I'm not his passenger.  :-\

There's a safety factor.  Great road grip can help you steer out of trouble,
assuming you have the experience and skill to take advantage of it (most
drivers probably don't). But EVs already stick to the ground better because
of their lower center of mass.  How much more grip do you want or need?

It's your money, for both the hardware (wheels and tires) and the software
(electricity); but at another level, it's everyone's environment, so ... hm.

Your choice, but I'm sticking (sorry) with LRR.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

Re: EVLN: EV owner tossed lrr tires4 sticky-performance= less range

 > Your choice, but I'm sticking (sorry) [you should be...] with LRR.

Depends on your comfort level. My Goodyear Invicta GLR LRR tires were
*dangerously* slippery. I can think of at least two instances of
incidents that I was involved in that would have resulted in a
smashup if I had been driving my EV with those tires instead of an
otherwise identical vehicle with more grippy tires.

Pulling the Invictas off my car last month and replacing them with
some generic tires that just happened to be on the wheels I am using
was a ~major~ upgrade to the handling and safety of my EV. I regret
the 10+% penalty in energy consumption, but the car is much more
stable on the road, and I no longer feel like I am driving on ice,
even in summer.

The first paragraph of the R&T article used the words "trade off",
and that's what it comes down to, are your LRR tires attached enough
to the road to keep you safe?

When my suspension work is finished, my alloy wheels come back from
being repaired, and the four-wheel alignment is complete, I'll be
purchasing some LRR tires to try and get back some of my efficiency,
but not at the expense of road control.

On 4 Jul 2020 at 13:03, Mr. Sharkey via EV wrote:

> Depends on your comfort level. My Goodyear Invicta GLR LRR tires were
> *dangerously* slippery.

Yeah, I had GLRs some years back, and I can't disagree with that.  They
rolled and rolled, but kind of sucked in most other characteristics.  They
were indeed slippery, and were by a large margin the noisiest tires I've
ever owned.  I don't recall how they were for tread wear, but I was glad to
be rid of them when they wore out.

The Nokian WRs (my first set, made in Finland) were MUCH better for noise
and handling, with only a small rolling resistance penalty.

Nokian WRG2s were also quite good, but were made in Russia, which to me was
a negative.  So then I tried ....

Continental Pure Contacts, which had a bit more rolling resistance, with
little handling difference that I could discern, and MUCH longer tread wear.
They cost less than Nokians, and weren't made in Russia.

Conti True Contacts were a further downgrade in LRR, and soured me a bit on
Continentals.

The determination of which of these, if any, is made in a Leaf size will be
left as an exercise for the reader.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

Re: EVLN: EV owner tossed lrr tires4 sticky-performance= less range

 > The determination of which of these, if any, is made in a Leaf size
 > will be left as an exercise for the reader

Oh, but this isn't the "What tires fit my Leaf" topic, this is the
"VW eGolf owner wants to have Hot Hatch performance" thread. (If Hot
Hatch even applies to a 4-door buggy, my opinion is that it doesn't)

I can't say I blame him, but there is a somewhere reasonable line
between insane low rolling resistance and insane cornering ability.
He did pick some nice tires, though. The Michelin Pilot Exacto A/S
tires on my diesel Rabbit have been without reservation, the best
tires I've owned in 50+ years of driving. I never had the stones to
find out what the adhesion limits of these tires are. Sadly, they are
no longer available in 14" wheel size (if at all, I haven't
researched that purchase yet.)