EVLN: Electric Toyota AE86 Drift EV> (drag racing e-motor& a boot full of batteries) (v)

EVLN: Electric Toyota AE86 Drift EV> (drag racing e-motor& a boot full of batteries) (v)

'It’s really, really hard not to like this thing'

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/an-all-electric-toyota-ae86-exists-and-were-not-even-mad/
An All-Electric Toyota AE86 Exists, And We're Not Even Mad
20171107  Matt Robinson

[video
https://youtu.be/TIZ5IEWk2iM
(HOONIGAN) DT 148: Electric Toyota AE86 Drift Car
Nov 3, 2017 - Uploaded by TheHoonigans
https://www.hoonigan.com/ On today's episode of Daily Transmission, Omead
Moinee brings the future to ...

image
https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/2/1200/630/5/uploads/posts/2017/11/ef15dd6420aa73d0ace0a853575236f5.jpg
capture
]

An electric AE86 drift car is showcased in this episode of TheHoonigans'
Daily Transmission series, and it'll happily shred tyres

If you thought LS-swapping a Toyota AE86 was sacrilegious, you may wish to
look away now, as you ain’t seen nothing yet. This AE86 is surely one of the
weirdest in existence, as in place of the screaming, stock ‘4A-G’ is a
purpose-built DC motor intended for drag racing. And the boot is full of
batteries.

Despite the load in the trunk, weight distribution isn’t quite as skewed
toward the back as you’d expect, and the weight’s been kept down to a modest
figure too.

It makes 330lb ft of torque instantly, meaning the electric powertrain will
happily overcome the 205-section rear boots. Make sure you watch through to
the donuts at the end - with no engine noise accompanying the tyre-shredding
session, it’s all just a bit odd…
[© carthrottle.com]

https://jalopnik.com/i-am-shocked-by-how-much-i-like-this-electric-toyota-ae-1820160100
I Am Shocked By How Much I Like This Electric Toyota AE86 Drift Car
20171105  Patrick George

[image
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4mfTVw6Q--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/lnll06lveukzweblacf9.gif
animated gif
]

“Whatever it takes to keep interesting cars on the road” is how I approach
the question of whether or not it’s okay to do electric conversions for
older cars. Some purists hate it, and it’s true it’s never really the same
as an internal combustion engine, but it gets the job done. And
electrification has its advantages too—namely sweet, sweet torque.

Case in point: Omead Moinee’s 1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla with an electric
motor, recently featured by the good humans over at Hoonigan. Inspired by
electric Pikes Peak conversions, Omead’s car is in regular use as a drift
car.

It’s really, really hard not to like this thing:

Engine Swap Depot says this car’s been around for a hot minute, debuting at
SEMA back in 2015. The whole thing is a custom job with a huge 275 volt
battery pack mounted in the back seat and trunk that produces 330 lb-ft of
torque at just 200 RPM. Two-hundred!

Donuts happen at the flip of a switch. It still keeps its five-speed manual
transmission, unlike most EV conversions. That’s encouraging.

If the future’s electric, give me one of these over one of those damn pod
cars.
[© jalopnik.com]