EVLN: FCV-R, ridiculously expensive and infrastructure is nonexistent

EVLN: FCV-R, ridiculously expensive and infrastructure is nonexistent

Toyota having a 2015 pipe dream
% Why? So Toyota can tell CARB they are making ZEVs %

2015 Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle, Toyota’s Next Magical Trick
By Benji Jerew  June 27, 2013

Toyota FCV-R Hydrogen Fuel Cell Concept Sedan Could Arrive in 2015

While the hydrogen fuel cell isn’t exactly new ...

It's still ridiculously expensive and infrastructure is still largely in the wind ...

At the North American Auto Show, Toyota showed off the FCV-R which, according to the press release, “by 2015 we’ll have launched a zero-emission, hydrogen fuel cell, four-door, midsize sedan.” ... Toyota admits “refueling infrastructure remains a distinct challenge, but certainly not one that will stand in the way of such an important technology.” ...

Of course, the hype and the reality are two very different things. Some prognosticators had expected millions of fuel cell vehicles would be on the road in the 2010s, but we’re already four years in and there could be just hundreds in the whole of the US.

 Ben has been a Master Automobile Technician for over ten years, certified by ASE, Toyota, and Lexus. He specialized in electronic systems and hybrid technology. Branching out now, as a Professional Freelance Writer, he specializes in research and writing about his main area of interest, Automotive Technology, Alternative Fuels, and Concept Vehicles.
[© greenoptimistic.com]

Toyota plans hydrogen car for 2015 model year
By BLOOMBERG NEWS  June 27, 2013 ... “We’re now in the ‘trough of disillusionment’ for fuel- cell vehicles,” ... Musk said ... “Fuel cells should be renamed ‘fool cells,’ they are so stupid,” ... “You could take best case of a fuel cell, theoretically the best case, and it does not compete with lithium-ion cells today.
Only 10 hydrogen stations total in the United States
The U.S. administration is not impressed with advances towards a hydrogen economy for cars, though, thanks in part to the exorbitant costs of the vehicles and the missing infrastructure. "We asked ourselves, 'Is it likely in the next 10 or 15, 20 years that we will convert to a hydrogen car economy?' The answer, we felt, was 'No,'" said U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu in announcing budget cuts to the government's hydrogen research and development programs back in May of this year.
How much is gaseous hydrogen per kilogram? [~2008]
NG costs were usually assumed to be $3.5/GJ – compare to today's $6/GJ at the well head, $7/GJ at the city gate, and probably $15/GJ at the city gate in 2020.
Hydrogen Threshold Cost Calculator
Current price of gasoline
USDoE Romm, "A hydrogen car is one of the least efficient, most expensive ways to reduce greenhouse gases." ... The Los Angeles Times wrote, in February 2009, " ... Any way you look at it, hydrogen is a lousy way to move cars."
CARB-Mandates For ZEVs Creating Clean-Air Credit Market  May 30, 2012  Toyota has the biggest ZEV monkey on its back – that is, it has the largest California market share, and so must sell the most ZEVs – or pay penalties or buy credits from others who may have credits for sale.

For all EVLN posts use: