EVLN: Failed Tesla eMMC bricks(kills) pack> warranty-over= sol

EVLN: Failed Tesla eMMC bricks(kills) pack> warranty-over= sol

% IMO, the resolve is to replace the board with a redesigned one  that has a
redundant/mirrored eMMC chip that would take over when the primary fails,
then wirelessly alerts Tesla. In my 25yr hp-ce career, I replaced many a
hot-swappable mirrored/paired drive in customer's servers (ez-peazy).
%

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27945/a-single-component-can-brick-older-teslas-and-tesla-wont-fix-it
A Single Component Can Brick Older Teslas and Tesla Won't Fix It
May 10, 2019  Jonathon Klein

Though Teslas—and electric vehicles as a whole—were heralded for their
easily maintained and remarkably simple drivetrain design, reality and
maintenance issues have become a real problem for Tesla. While there have
been a few outlying cases were major componentry goes catastrophically
wrong, most of its issues have been confined to cosmetic or easily fixed
problems. That isn’t the case with Tesla’s eMMC chip, which according to a
number of complaints that allege when the chip fails out of warranty, owners
lose access to the vehicle’s media control unit and bricks the car.

The issue first surfaced via a report by Roadshow [
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-richrebuilds-unsupported-model-s-x-3/
] after a YouTube video detailing the issue was uploaded. According to the
video, when the eMMC fails, those Tesla customers outside of warranty
service are out of luck. Tesla doesn’t stock the part, nor will it service
it. As we’ve covered in the past, working on your own Tesla is also a
monumental undertaking that the company doesn’t explicitly condone. On the
specific issue, the eMMC chip in older Teslas is based within the car’s
media control unit and used to log data collected by the media system.

Evidently, as the solid-state chip has only a finite amount of times its
space can be rewritten, when that space is gone, the chip fails which is
where the real problem starts.

The chip itself doesn’t control any of the car’s actual driving functions.
But the eMMC is so well-integrated into the rest of the car’s controls that
when it fails, you lose access to Tesla’s media suite, much of its systems
like climate control, and in some cases, the car could charge incorrectly
and fail to be driveable outside of its safety mode with less than
advertised oomph. According to the video, the chip can fail after a few
years of use, which isn’t great for customers, nor the environment.

As previously stated, Tesla doesn’t condone customers working on their own
cars, however, a group of mechanically minded owners has assembled a rather
extensive “Service Manual” [
http://teslaservicemanual.com/2019/01/18/replacing-emmc-in-mcu.html
] for the cars and it covers this problem. The service manual created takes
users on a step-by-step guide to replacing and fixing the broken system.
However, it does feature a disclaimer—like every Do-It-Yourself guide—that
tinkering with it could have potentially unforeseen consequences and could
result in injury or breaking the car further.

Along with that silver lining, the original YouTube uploader who goes by the
name “Ingineerix,” [
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ingineerix/
] is able to take those faulty eMMC chips from plagued customers and replace
them for customers outside of warranty and Elon’s gaze.

That said, with Musk’s recent statements of how good his automobiles are for
the environment, and how the company was founded to help mitigate climate
change, the idea of a single chip rendering a relatively new car nigh
unusable doesn’t exactly mesh with one another. Tesla has taken recent
strides in letting customers repair their cars themselves in recent months.
However, until the company starts stocking parts like the eMMC chip, as well
as release detailed service manuals to the public, Tesla is going to be
looking at a number of newish cars dead in a junkyard real soon.
[© thedrive.com]
https://www.google.com/search?q=eMMC
eMMC Memory
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesla+eMMC&oq=Tesla+eMMC
[image search
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=tesla+eMMC+memory
tesla eMMC memory
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SOL
https://www.google.com/search?q=redundant%2Fmirrored+eMMC+chip

+
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27826/tesla-vehicles-can-now-diagnose-problems-and-order-replacement-parts-autonomously
Tesla Vehicles Can Now Diagnose Problems and Order Replacement Parts
Autonomously
May 5, 2019  Tesla vehicles not only have the ability to drive themselves in
select situations, but they can also apparently order replacement parts for
problems you may not even know exist ... using over-the-air communication to
order parts that, in theory, will repair the self-diagnosed issue ...
https://api.thedrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2017%2F08/tesla-model-3-first-cars.jpg

Re: EVLN: Failed Tesla eMMC bricks(kills) pack> warranty-over= sol

On 11 May 2019 at 4:20, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> On the specific issue, the eMMC chip in older Teslas is based within
> the car's media control unit and used to log data collected by the
> media system.

Exactly what data are they logging from a media system, and what are they
doing with it?

Re: EVLN: Failed Tesla eMMC bricks(kills) pack> warranty-over= sol

It does have a web browser and google maps

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 11, 2019, at 8:39 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11 May 2019 at 4:20, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
>>
>> On the specific issue, the eMMC chip in older Teslas is based within
>> the car's media control unit and used to log data collected by the
>> media system.
>
> Exactly what data are they logging from a media system, and what are they
> doing with it?
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: EVLN: Failed Tesla eMMC bricks(kills) pack> warranty-over= sol

It's mostly just Linux console logs. The same standard Linux messages you'd
see on any Linux logging console as you interact with a Linux system.

On Sat, May 11, 2019, 08:33 EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 11 May 2019 at 4:20, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
>
> > On the specific issue, the eMMC chip in older Teslas is based within
> > the car's media control unit and used to log data collected by the
> > media system.
>
> Exactly what data are they logging from a media system, and what are they
> doing with it?
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

switch DPDT wringing for hi/lo lights

  on my electric motorcycle  I want to use my DPDT  3 postion switch to
have like a hi /lo beam,  but both lights on "hi beam " and one on "low
beam"setting.

sw postion       1       2              3
               1 light / off/  2nd light & 1st light both

Can do i do this by  jumpering across 1 & 3  on one side only??

switch DPDT wringing for hi/lo lights

No.
If you have a DPDT switch, Put +12v on both the center contacts.
On one end, attach JUST the low beam light to ONE contact.
At the other end, Attach the low beam to ONE contact, and the HiBeam to the other contact.

--

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: switch DPDT wringing for hi/lo lights

On 2019-05-11 12:44, John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
> No.
> If you have a DPDT switch, Put +12v on both the center contacts.
> On one end, attach JUST the low beam light to ONE contact.
> At the other end, Attach the low beam to ONE contact, and the HiBeam
> to the other contact.

isn't that jumper  going to make them both go on ?..
I have 2 lights .

> On Sat May 11 10:30:54 PDT 2019 [hidden email] said:
>> on my electric motorcycle  I want to use my DPDT  3 postion switch to
>> have like a hi /lo beam,  but both lights on "hi beam " and one on
>> "low
>> beam"setting.
>>
>> sw postion       1       2              3
>> 1 light / off/  2nd light & 1st light both
>>
>> Can do i do this by  jumpering across 1 & 3  on one side only??
>

> --
>
> Try my Sensible Email package!
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: switch DPDT wringing for hi/lo lights

What jumper?
Each side of a DPDT switch is independent.
So, one side of the switch will be ON-OFF-ON for the low beam.
The other side will be OFF-OFF-ON for the hi beam.

On Sat May 11 11:10:59 PDT 2019 [hidden email] said:

>On 2019-05-11 12:44, John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
>> No.
>> If you have a DPDT switch, Put +12v on both the center contacts.
>> On one end, attach JUST the low beam light to ONE contact.
>> At the other end, Attach the low beam to ONE contact, and the HiBeam
>> to the other contact.
>
>isn't that jumper  going to make them both go on ?..
>I have 2 lights .
>

>> On Sat May 11 10:30:54 PDT 2019 [hidden email] said:
>>> on my electric motorcycle  I want to use my DPDT  3 postion switch to
>>> have like a hi /lo beam,  but both lights on "hi beam " and one on
>>> "low
>>> beam"setting.
>>>
>>> sw postion       1       2              3
>>> 1 light / off/  2nd light & 1st light both
>>>
>>> Can do i do this by  jumpering across 1 & 3  on one side only??
>>

>> --
>>
>> Try my Sensible Email package!
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: EVLN: Failed Tesla eMMC bricks(kills) pack> warranty-over= sol

https://www.datalight.com/solutions/technologies/emmc/what-is-emmc

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 11 May 2019 at 4:20, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
>
> > On the specific issue, the eMMC chip in older Teslas is based within
> > the car's media control unit and used to log data collected by the
> > media system.
>
> Exactly what data are they logging from a media system, and what are they
> doing with it?
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land
(919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
(919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
Google Phone and Text

Re: switch DPDT wringing for hi/lo lights

I am not sure what you are trying to do and I don't want to figure it out,
but I will say you can definitely jumper the terminals and something will
happen. I used to design switches for Eaton Corp and it was common to ship
some configurations with this kind of mod. For example a DPDT can be used
to reverse a DC motor by switching the output polarity.  This probably
Google-able.

I would advocate that you carefully diagram the circuit on paper. It is
easy to get this sort of thing wrong.

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM evtlfp20 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   on my electric motorcycle  I want to use my DPDT  3 postion switch to
> have like a hi /lo beam,  but both lights on "hi beam " and one on "low
> beam"setting.
>
> sw postion       1       2              3
>                1 light / off/  2nd light & 1st light both
>

> Can do i do this by  jumpering across 1 & 3  on one side only??

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land
(919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
(919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
Google Phone and Text

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: switch DPDT wringing for hi/lo lights

Easiest way to wire this circuit:
Connect hi and lo beam wires to the two "common" contacts.
Measure the hi beam wire connection to the outside contact in the setting
for lo beam. Leave that contact open and wire the other 3 outside contacts
to +12v if the lights return is ground.
Good luck,
Cor.