EVLN: Father & son convert Chevy pickup truck

EVLN: Father & son convert Chevy pickup truck

brucedp5

No gas at all, 100 percent electric

[unformatted]
http://www.wisn.com/news/Local-man-creates-electric-vehicle/-/9373668/13071922/-/jd8wmiz/-/index.html
[video] Father, son convert Chevy pickup truck
By Marianne Lyles  May 11 2012

[video  flash]
Local man creates electric vehicle

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee-area man has created a solution to his, and he hopes everyone else's, gas price problems.

During the day, Prem Mirissage works as a senior engineer for Caterpillar, a mining and construction equipment manufacturer.

For the last three years, he's spent his free time converting a green Chevy pickup truck into an electric vehicle.

"No gas at all," said Mirissage. "This is 100 percent electric."

Mirissage bought a Milwaukee auto body shop near 55th Street and Lisbon Avenue just to work on the electric vehicle which now sports a license plate that says "SPARK EV."

His 25-year-old son, Ramidu, helped.

"At first I thought he was crazy," Ramidu said.

They removed the gas engine, installed electric batteries in the back and even created a speedometer which runs through a GPS.

One of the first things you'll notice is how quiet the vehicle is. There's no roar of a Chevy engine on the pickup truck.

It costs about $7,500 for the electric conversion. Prem said the price goes up depending on how far you want to go.

"With this vehicle it can run 70 to 80 miles with one charge," said Prem. "You can increase this up to 200 or 250 miles per charge."

Prem said it's worth the savings.

"It only costs you 2 cents per mile, per running mile."

He's even cut out the power company by installing a solar panel on top of the auto-body shop. It not only powers the vehicle, but also provides energy for some of the building.

"I say no," Prem said. "I use a solar energy to charge this batteries."

Ramidu, a mechanical engineer, is going back to school for electrical engineering.

He wants his dad's set up available to everyone in the United States and in the family's native Sri Lanka.

"The price of gas is two or three times more than here," Ramidu said. "So it's very expensive."

For more information Mirissage's electric vehicle concept, just click here. [
http://www.sparkelectriccar.com/
]
[© 2012 Hearst Stations]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
All EVLN posts

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Father & son convert Chevy pickup truck

corbin dunn

On May 19, 2012, at 2:30 AM, brucedp5 wrote:

> It costs about $7,500 for the electric conversion. Prem said the price goes
> up depending on how far you want to go.
>
> "With this vehicle it can run 70 to 80 miles with one charge," said Prem.
> "You can increase this up to 200 or 250 miles per charge."

For some reason, I don't believe their numbers. $7,500 for a complete conversion that goes 70-80 miles seems hard to do. The battery pack alone would probably cost that much!  Unfortunately their website is light on details ( http://www.sparkelectriccar.com )

corbin

Re: EVLN: Father & son convert Chevy pickup truck

martinwinlow

On 20 May 2012, at 05:06, corbin dunn wrote:

> On May 19, 2012, at 2:30 AM, brucedp5 wrote:
>
>> It costs about $7,500 for the electric conversion. Prem said the price goes
>> up depending on how far you want to go.
>>
>> "With this vehicle it can run 70 to 80 miles with one charge," said Prem.
>> "You can increase this up to 200 or 250 miles per charge."
>
> For some reason, I don't believe their numbers. $7,500 for a complete conversion that goes 70-80 miles seems hard to do. The battery pack alone would probably cost that much!  Unfortunately their website is light on details ( http://www.sparkelectriccar.com )
>
> corbin

Ditto - especially as their site claims AC drive and LiPo.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

Re: EVLN: Father & son convert Chevy pickup truck

Cor van de Water
>corbin dunn wrote:
> On May 19, 2012, at 2:30 AM, brucedp5 wrote:
>> It costs about $7,500 for the electric conversion. Prem said the
>> price goes up depending on how far you want to go.
>> "With this vehicle it can run 70 to 80 miles with one charge," said
Prem.
>> "You can increase this up to 200 or 250 miles per charge."
>
> For some reason, I don't believe their numbers. $7,500 for a complete
> conversion that goes 70-80 miles seems hard to do. The battery pack
> alone would probably cost that much!  Unfortunately their website is
> light on details ( http://www.sparkelectriccar.com )

Martin Winlow agreed:
> Ditto - especially as their site claims AC drive and LiPo.

It is possible that the claimed $7500 conversion
costs of their first car is not the same as the one
that their website boasts with AC drive, Lithium
battery pack and 100 mile per charge...

I can't find what type components are used for the
original conversion, but taking a standard DC controller
and motor and using cheap Li-Poly cells it is certainly
possible to make a conversion for that cost.
Note that (unsafe!) early generation Li-Poly pouch cells
often cost less than $1 per Ah in small quantities.

The original post claims that the first car can go up to
70-80miles per charge. Assuming that this is the optimistic
"when driven at constant 30 MPH" range, the real life range
will be about half that at freeway speeds.
40 miles at 250 Wh/mi (assuming they did not mess up the
efficiency of the vehicle too much) is 10kWh, which means
approx 3,000 dollars in Li-Poly packs....
This leaves over $4000 for a (DC?) drivetrain...

We will never know until more details are published, but if
you really want to get to the proof of the pudding then I
suggest you call them to quote you a conversion of a truck
and see if they can come up with this price for a decent
conversion - if you want to do you due diligence then you
will insist on taking their truck for a 70-80 mile drive
and verify for yourself that what they claim is not smoke
and mirrors.... Anyone near Milwaukee?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203