EVLN: GM.cn Menlo EV> perfect r:200+mi Bolt-powered Crossover EUV

EVLN: GM.cn Menlo EV> perfect r:200+mi Bolt-powered Crossover EUV

https://electrek.co/2019/11/10/gm-menlo-crossover/
GM releases perfect 200+mile range Crossover EV for US market…in China
Nov. 10th 2019  Seth Weintraub

[images
https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/Chevy-Menlo-EV.jpg
Chevy-Bolt-EUV-Menlo-EV

https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/08/Chevy-Bolt-EUV-Menlo-EV-electric-car.jpg
 (Menlo from August)

https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/01/Cadillac-EV-001-e1547434718921.jpg
]

GM announced two weeks ago that it would be supporting Donald Trump’s
rollback of EV emissions standards by siding with the administration vs.
California. You would think that GM – with its pioneering Bolt EV and “zero
emissions future” initiatives – would support lowering emissions. But
something has gone terribly wrong at GM over the past few years in EVs.

The latest indication of this is an announcement that the company would be
releasing a Menlo crossover EV – which would likely do well in a US market –
in China alone.

Chinese announcement
On Friday, GM announced the Chevy Menlo EV, which it purports to have a
410km (250mi) range NEDC (yes, you read that right: they are still using the
outdated standard). While this is probably a lot closer to 200 miles of WLTP
or EPA range, it would still be a very compelling car for the US and
frankly, we were expecting GM to have released this type of vehicle
domestically by now.

The Chevy Menlo EV sports the “athletic design of the Chevrolet FNR-X
all-purpose sports concept vehicle, which exemplified the brand’s passion
for innovation and ingenuity.” ...

GM Electric Vehicle strategy
In the crossover class, GM has previously described its Bolt as a micro
crossover. But at best it is a hot hatchback. Realistically, the Bolt would
do best in Europe, where the small B segment type vehicles rule the road. It
is too bad GM sold Opel – with its hot Ampera E Bolt variant – to PSA group
right as sales were getting off the ground. Renault’s Zoe, the best selling
EV in Europe, doesn’t hold a candle to the 2016 Bolt, even in its 2020 model
year.

In the US, Micro-anything cars just don’t sell in big numbers. To make
matters worse, Chevy’s dealer network incentivizes ever bigger cars and
trucks.

GM first announced the Menlo in August and at that point we were wondering
what had happened to the two EVs that GM was supposed to announce based on
their “EV learnings.”

The automaker also promised to launch within the next 18 months two new
electric cars building on the Bolt EV’s development:

“In the next 18 months, GM will introduce two new all-electric vehicles
based off learnings from the Chevrolet Bolt EV.”

As we reported earlier this year, it has now been more than 18 months and we
have yet to see those new electric vehicles.

GM disagreed, countering our report with the claim that the company had
already released those two vehicles: the Buick Velite 6 EV and Baojun E200,
two China-only vehicles produced by joint-venture partnerships in China.

The problem is that neither of those vehicles has anything to do with the
Chevy Bolt EV.

However, we know that GM has been working on a utility version of the Bolt
EV, which is likely what GM really had in mind in its 2017 announcement.

Furthermore, GM filed for a ‘Bolt EUV’ trademark earlier this year.

At last month’s 2020 Bolt EV drive event, the only real difference from the
Bolt prototype we drove in January 2016 was the LG Chem cells having
improved 10% in range.

GM has announced that it will invest $300M into its Orion Plant where the
Bolt is produced, to manufacture another EV based on the Bolt. GM has also
said its next major US EV will be a Cadillac, with the below image as a
teaser. GM is also considering reviving its Hummer brand with a revamped EV.

Electrek’s Take
Something appears to have very gone awry in GM-land. The promised EVs aren’t
materializing in the US market and the maker is now on the trailing edge of
electric vehicle adoption, even though it pioneered the affordable long
range EV almost 4 years ago. Its only EV, the Bolt, has grown long in the
tooth and as it runs out of Federal Tax refunds, the 2016 Bolt + 10% battery
is less and less compelling. Investors are fuming and are imploring the
automaker to invest in EVs.

This Menlo seems like a perfect $35,000 crossover for Chevy and could even
sell well in premium trims with an AWD version. Why won’t GM even announce
another EV in the US? It feels like the “Who killed the Electric Car” saga
all over again.

In the US, GM is now lobbying for worse emissions standards. In China, where
GM has no sway and the government wants more EVs, GM is announcing more EVs.

GM went from a leader in EVs in the US to one of their most powerful
detractors.

If I were on GM’s board, I’d demand answers (or resignation letters) from
Mary Barra and Mark Reuss.

GM’s Chinese press release follows:

Chevrolet Menlo EV and Chevrolet Blazer SUV Make China Debut
Chevrolet Menlo sedan has electric range of 410 kilometers
HEFEI, ANHUI – The Chevrolet Menlo sporty-looking sedan made its global
premiere and the Chevrolet Blazer seven-seat mid-large SUV was shown for the
first time in China this evening at 2019 Chevrolet Gala Night.

The Chevrolet Menlo will be the brand’s first fully electric vehicle
available in China. It incorporates GM’s class-leading battery technology
and highly efficient electric propulsion and intelligent connectivity
technologies to offer a new green driving experience.

It has a constant-speed range of up to 410 kilometers under New European
Driving Cycle (NEDC) conditions on a single charge.

The Chevrolet Menlo has adopted the athletic design of the Chevrolet FNR-X
all-purpose sports concept vehicle, which exemplified the brand’s passion
for innovation and ingenuity.

In addition, the Chevrolet Menlo comes with the new-generation MyLink+
infotainment system. Functions include virtual car key, remote control and
intelligent voice recognition.

Both models will be on display at Auto Guangzhou 2019, which runs from
November 22 to December 1, and will be launched in the first half of 2020.
[© electrek.co]
https://www.google.com/search?q=Chevrolet+Menlo

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/11/20191105-menlo.html
Chevrolet introducing its first fully electric vehicle in China
20191105 ... will be the Chevrolet Menlo. The new nameplate is making its
global debut at 2019 Chevrolet ...

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/11/20191110-menlo.html
Chevrolet Menlo EV makes global premiere in China
10 November 2019  The Chevrolet Menlo will be the brand’s first fully
electric vehicle available in China. The Menlo has a constant-speed range
https://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0240a49b5ff1200c-550wi

[dated]
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Chevy-Menlo-EV-cn-similar2-Bolt-EUV-tp4694631.html
EVLN: Chevy Menlo EV.cn> (similar2 Bolt EUV)
CarNewsChina.com is feeling happy in Beijing, China ... This is the new
Chevrolet Menlo EV for China The Menlo is a China-only EV based on the same
platform as the Buick Velite 6. Both are made locally at the SAIC-GM joint
venture. The electric power train is sourced locally too ...
Aug 18 2019

+ (Tesla-3.cn pre-sold@ CNY355.8k/US$51k on Oct. 25)
https://yicaiglobal.com/news/tesla-rolls-out-first-china-made-cars
Tesla Rolls out First China-Made Cars
Nov. 8 2019 -- The first batch of Model 3s manufactured at Tesla's Shanghai
Gigafactory officially came off the production line today. The electric car
is identical to its imported version in outward appearance and interior
design ...
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/www.yicaiglobal.com/documents/tesla-rolls-out-first-china-made-cars/top.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/

Re: EVLN: GM.cn Menlo EV> perfect r:200+mi Bolt-powered Crossover EUV

I had been feeling more supportive of GM when they appeared to be
promoting EVs, a good change of direction after the destruction of the
EV1. Now they have reneged on the EV-positive attitude they had claimed
as new company policy. As list member Willie has said in the past, "I
don't see how anyone familiar with the situation can, in good
conscience, buy a GM car". He was right. They have turned against us again.

Gail