EVLN: GM's 1st e-truck only sold for 1yr> like an aircraft taking off r:39mi@60mph

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/gm-had-the-first-electric-pickup-with-the-1997-1998-chevrolet-s10-ev/
GM Had The First Electric Pickup With The 1997-1998 Chevrolet S10 EV
Sep 4, 2019  Sam McEachern

[images
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Chevrolet-S10-EV-002-720x340.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Chevrolet-S10-EV-001.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Chevrolet-S10-EV-003.jpg
]

Ford Motor Company recently announced that it would release its fully
electric F-150 before 2022 – beating General Motors to market and likely
arriving just in time to take on newcomers to the pickup space like Tesla
and Rivian.

GM was actually the first major automotive manufacturer to put an fully
electric pickup truck into production, however. The Chevrolet S10 EV was
launched in 1997, mainly for fleets, with GM producing about 1,100 examples
of the truck before pulling the plug on the project in 1998.

The S10 EV was based on a two-door, short bed Chevrolet S10 work truck and
was powered by a version of the GM EV1’s powertrain, which consisted of a
114 horsepower (or 85 kW) AC induction motor and a 16.2 kWh lead-acid
battery pack. The battery, mounted in between the frame rails under the
S10’s bed, weighed an astonishing 1,400 lbs and brought the total weight of
the little truck to 4,199 lbs.

According to PickupTrucks.com, the Idaho National Laboratory’s Advanced
Vehicle Testing Activity (AVTA) put a Chevrolet S10 EV to the test in 1997
and came up with a total range of 38.8 miles at a constant 60 mph and 60.4
miles at a constant 45 mph, figures that were calculated using the EPA test
cycle. A company in California also tested the trucks and recorded 35 to 43
miles of real-world range on an urban loop with some stop-and-go traffic.

For the 1998 model year, GM introduced a larger 39 kWh nickel-metal-hydride
battery pack, which doubled the vehicle’s range. This was a costly option,
however, and with the S10 EV’s already steep starting price of $33,305, it
wasn’t enough to make the emissions-free pickup any more attractive to
potential fleet buyers and the truck was discontinued.

Tom Convey, a former GM engineer, used to own one of the trucks (along with
a handful of other GM engineering employees) and spoke glowingly of it for
PickupTrucks.com’s 2012 article on it. Convey bought his truck from a
utility company that put it up for sale after they were done with it and
later sold the vehicle to a buyer in Minneapolis.

“The smooth, quick acceleration was like taking off in a light aircraft,”
Convey said. “The sound of the gear whine reminded me of a turbine engine.
If GM made a vehicle like that again, I’d buy it in a minute! I miss that
truck!”

So while Ford, Rivian and perhaps Tesla may beat GM to market with a
modern-day electric pickup, the Chevrolet S10 EV was first to the party.
Ford also followed GM’s lead in the late 1990s, introducing a Ford Ranger EV
on a lease-only basis between 1998 and 2002, before recalling all of them
EV1-style.
[© gmauthority.com]

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+killed+the+electric+truck
 search on  who killed the electric truck

+ (detroitnews scare tactics> (smells like $koch$-spirit)
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2019/09/05/shift-electric-vehicles-radically-change-auto-factories/2208961001/
Shift to electric vehicles will radically change auto factories
Sept. 5, 2019 ... EVs will have many fewer parts ... with fewer jobs ...
batteries and electric motors ... could be sourced offshore ... anxiety at
the United Auto Workers union ... issued ... 40-page report ...
"implications" of electric vehicles ... threats the "coming shift to EVs"
could bring to U.S. jobs ... shift ... will displace workers ... contracts
and employment to non-auto companies to build some components ...
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/09/05/PDTN/fe8d4792-36e0-4734-9322-e23257a7b892-tdndc5-74xxmqm0mecs7ebzhsr_original.jpg
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/amnesty-org-attacks-EVs-as-evil-smells-like-koch-spirit-tp4693166.html
[dated] amnesty.org attacks EVs as evil> (smells like $koch$-spirit)
Mar 21 2019

+ ( terribleherbst.com convenience-stores have L3&2 PV-EVSE)
https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/terrible-herbst-adds-solar-powered-ev-charging
Terrible Herbst Adds Solar-Powered EV Charging
LAS VEGAS —Terrible Herbst Oil Co. is adding electric vehicle (EV)
charging—but with a solar-powered twist. The Las Vegas-based
convenience-store chain ... partnering with ISM Connect ... Sun Media
Network ... off-the-grid units can charge EVs and supply lighting, and they
use high-definition smart screens to engage with customers ... (ads like at
ice-stations)
https://www.plugshare.com/location/85137

Re: EVLN: GM's 1st e-truck only sold for 1yr> like an aircraft taking off r:39mi@60mph

Yes, it’s was great but only because the government forced them and they quit as soon as the law changed

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Sep 2019 at 7:34, paul dove via EV wrote:

> Yes, itTMs was great but only because the government forced them and they
> quit as soon as the law changed

Please show me evidence that "The Government" (always the mean old bad guys,
eh?) forced GM to build the E10 pickup.

By the way, it was essentially an EV1 drivetrain, driving the front wheels,
shoehorned into an E10 chassis.  Interesting layout.

One thing more: the law didn't just change.  The automakers, GM included,
lobbied to kill California's Braude Initiative.

Re: EVLN: GM's 1st e-truck only sold for 1yr> like an aircraft taking off r:39mi@60mph

What Ford conveniently wants people to forget is that they also had an Electric Truck in the late 1990's based on the Ranger. There are still a few examples of that truck on the roads today, using an early version of the J1772 charging standard. Ben Nelson of 300mpg.org has one and has done some YouTube videos on it.

Matthew Pitts

On 9 Sep 2019 at 12:39, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:

> One thing more: the law didn't just change.  The automakers, GM included,
> lobbied to kill California's Braude Initiative.

PS: They also sued California and eventually settled out of court.  The Bush
administration's justice department actually filed an amicus brief siding
with the automakers.

The automakers sued again when California added CO2 emissions standards,
making the somewhat dubious claim that CA was trying to regulate fuel
efficiency, and that that was the EPA's prerogative.  They lost that suit.

Currently CA and several other states are suing the federal government for
weakening earlier emissions rules.  For their part, the feds are threatening
to sue the automakers and CA for antitrust violations because CA negotiated
directly with the automakers to agree voluntarily on CO2 reductions.

The feds' priority is pretty clear here: KEEP BURNING THAT OIL, so our
lobbysts and donors keep getting richer, and also keep giving us money. So
much for "big bad government makes us."

In this scenario, the only winners are the lawyers.  It certainly isn't
those of us who have to live on this polluted earth, watching the CO2:O2
ratio increase.

Re: EVLN: GM's 1st e-truck only sold for 1yr> like an aircraft taking off r:39mi@60mph

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/zev_regulation_factsheet_082418.pdf

Sent from my iPhone