EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

https://www.voanews.com/a/can-better-electric-motor-save-planet/4235140.html
Can a Better Electric Motor Save the Planet?
February 01, 2018  Mil Arcega

[image
https://gdb.voanews.com/1D51C300-4BED-48EF-87B8-4B9596EDD5F5_cx0_cy7_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg
Roberto Catalan, inventor and CEO of Focused Magnetics says his new electric
motor can beat your electric motor. (M. Arcega/VOA)
]

If Nikola Tesla, the legendary genius who invented the electric induction
motor were alive today, he would no doubt be disappointed. That’s because
the majority of electric motors we produce today (including the one that
powers his namesake 2017 Tesla Model S), remain fundamentally the same as
the one he patented in 1887. So much for progress.

The Stakes are Big
For those of us alive today, that’s not a good thing. Here’s why: half of
all the electricity in the world is consumed by electric motors. Combined,
these motors consume about 9,000 trillion watt hours (terawatts) of energy
each year. Improving the energy efficiency of the world’s electric motors by
just one tenth would save enough electricity to run the entire country of
Japan for an entire year, dramatically reducing the world’s carbon footprint
and cutting harmful CO2 emissions by nearly a billion tons. Now imagine if
the technology to make electric motors nearly twice as efficient were
already here.

Robert Catalan, founder and CEO of Focused Magnetics says it is. Wearing an
impish smile that never seems to leave his face, Catalan looks more Buddhist
monk than genius. But it is the belief for what his new invention can
accomplish where this mild mannered engineer’s true motivation shines. Turns
out, deep down, he just wants to save the planet.

The Solution
Intrigued, I agreed to meet Catalan in a quiet urban park just outside
Washington, D.C. There he unpacks a wooden crate revealing a tire-sized
contraption that looks like something out of Star Gate SG-1. He says the
prototype motor represents a breakthrough technology that effectively
doubles the power and efficiency of any device that uses a conventional
electric motor. Before explaining how, he offered a primer on how
conventional motors work:

“Electric motors have two basic elements. One is the part that rotates (the
‘rotor’) and the other is the part that doesn’t move (the ‘stator’). But
it’s really the space between the rotor and the stator (i.e. the air-gap)
where the work of an electric motor takes place.” Because conventional
electric motors use magnets and electromagnets with equal polarity (i.e. 50%
north pole and 50% south pole), Catalan says half of the magnetic energy is
always directed away from the air-gap, leading to poor utilization of
available energy.

Who is Klaus Halbach?
Catalan’s quest to utilize available energy efficiently led him to
investigate the work of Berkeley physicist Klaus Halbach. In 1987, Halbach
discovered that by orienting permanent magnets a certain way, he could focus
nearly all of the magnetic field to one side. In doing so, Halbach had
discovered a way to create ‘near-monopole’ magnetic fields, meaning that
approximately 97% of one pole is enhanced, while the other pole’s magnetic
field is reduced to about 3%. The phenomenon is known as the “Halbach Array”
(and even has its own Wikipedia page).

A handful of companies have successfully applied Halbach’s permanent magnet
arrays to enhance the power of their rotors. But their electromagnetic
stators remained unchanged. Unlike permanent magnets, electromagnets cannot
be oriented in a Halbach sequence because the copper wires create a physical
and energized barrier that prevents magnetic forces from combining to form a
near-monopole field. Catalan says he has overcome that physical hurdle and
was recently awarded three U.S. patents along with several international
patents currently pending for the electromagnetic version of a Halbach array
and its various applications in motors and generators.

Achieving Near Monopole Magnetic Fields
Catalan says conventional motors are a bit like incandescent bulbs. Like
photons from a light source, electric motors wastefully radiate magnetic
energy in all directions. Catalan says his motor is configured to act like a
laser, focusing nearly all the magnetic energy exclusively towards the
airgap to enhance power and efficiency. By harnessing this ‘near-monopole’
energy, Catalan says an electric vehicle using a production version of his
new motor would travel nearly twice as far as a conventional motor on the
same set of batteries. Conversely, his motor in its final form would provide
nearly twice as much power or torque as a conventional motor using exactly
the same amount of energy.

There are other advantages. Halbach arrays don’t require the additional
metal (known as back-iron) that conventional motors need to function. As a
result, ‘Catalan motors’ are lighter. Additionally, because the polarity of
the patented electromagnetic array can be manipulated, both sides of his
stator’s surfaces can be used. This opens up a multitude of potential
applications.

Long Way to Go
As the founder of a clean energy startup, Catalan knows that he has a long
way to go. But as a parent and a family man, he says the stakes for future
generations are high. Like many who have seen climate change documentaries
from former Vice President Al Gore’s “Inconvenient Truth” or Leonardo
DiCaprio’s “Before the Flood”, Catalan says failure is not an option.

A growing number of countries around the world agree. Norway, India,
Britain, France and China are moving quickly to phase out internal
combustion engines. And Swedish automaker Volvo recently announced plans to
phase out all conventional gasoline powered vehicles. Why? Catalan says it’s
because the world deserves a better future.

Asked whether his ‘near-monopole’ electric motor technology could become the
new de facto standard for electric motors, Catalan replies with his
Buddha-like grin, “If mankind is to overcome the threat of climate change,
it has to.” Like the 15,000 signatories from the Union of Concerned
Scientists recently proclaimed, the world as we know it is running short on
time.
[© voanews.com]

+
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-economy-autos/uk-electric-motor-maker-expands-capacity-as-carmakers-go-green-idUSKBN1FL3G7
UK electric motor maker expands capacity as carmakers go green
January 31, 2018 - LONDON (Reuters) - British electric motor manufacturer
YASA said on Thursday it was increasing its production capacity from 2,000
to 100,000 units with a new factory to tap into growing demand from
carmakers for greener technologies. Britain's Secretary of State for
Business Greg Clark talks ...

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-model-x-crosses-the-sahara-desert-to-set-a-first-for-electric-cars-123317.html
Tesla Model X Crosses the Sahara Desert to Set a First for Electric Cars
Feb 7, 2018  We're not entirely sure what they set out to demonstrate, but
we do know they …

Re: EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

What a bunch of baloney. If a motor is already 95% efficient, how do you
double its efficiency?

I'm sure the motor gurus on the list can shoot holes in this nonsense.

There are reasons motors haven't changed much in 100 years.

One, there isn't much room left for improvement, two, the laws of physics.

Al

On 2/10/2018 3:02 PM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Achieving Near Monopole Magnetic Fields
> Catalan says conventional motors are a bit like incandescent bulbs. Like
> photons from a light source, electric motors wastefully radiate magnetic
> energy in all directions. Catalan says his motor is configured to act like a
> laser, focusing nearly all the magnetic energy exclusively towards the
> airgap to enhance power and efficiency. By harnessing this ‘near-monopole’
> energy, Catalan says an electric vehicle using a production version of his
> new motor would travel nearly twice as far as a conventional motor on the
> same set of batteries. Conversely, his motor in its final form would provide
> nearly twice as much power or torque as a conventional motor using exactly
> the same amount of energy.

Re: EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Alan Arrison via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What a bunch of baloney. If a motor is already 95% efficient, how do you
> double its efficiency?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Just remember: it's unlikely Catalan himself made this claim; he probably
said something more like "cuts wasted electromagnetic fields by half" and
the reporter wrote it down as doubling efficiency.

<sigh>

Re: EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

We're not talking about academic research here.  This is a for-profit
enterprise.  They want investors.

Obviously I'm not a company insider or "stakeholder," just a skeptic; nor am
I an engineer or physicist, so I can't speak to the Halbach related claims.

However, let's envision one possible scenario.

Suppose you could reduce losses in a motor from (say) 4% to 2%.  You've
halved the losses, so you've doubled the efficiency, no?

Well, it all depends on how you define it.  If your power input to the motor
is 100 Watts, the old version produced 96W of output.  The new one produces
98W of output.  That's 2.1% higher (2/96) output. Doesn't sound quite as
impressive as "doubling the efficiency," does it?  Which one do you think a
salesman, or a PR person, or a "journalist" looking for a clickbait story
that willl "go viral," is going to quote?

Re: EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

Hard to say what the inventor, Catalan, said. But the author, Arcega,
did make some far fetched claims:

"...half of all the electricity in the world is consumed by electric
motors... Improving the energy efficiency of the world’s electric motors
by just one tenth would save enough electricity to run the entire
country of Japan for an entire year [what ever that technically
means]... Now imagine if the technology to make electric motors nearly
twice as efficient were already here."

"He says the prototype motor represents a breakthrough technology that
effectively doubles the power and efficiency of any device that uses a
conventional electric motor."

"By harnessing this ‘near-monopole’ energy, Catalan says an electric
vehicle using a production version of his new motor would travel nearly
twice as far as a conventional motor on the same set of batteries."

I agree that market spin is open to interpretation, but these statements
are pretty clear. And pretty wrong.

Peri