EVLN: J.Leno sez EVs are the future> (EVs go like stink) (v)

EVLN: J.Leno sez EVs are the future> (EVs go like stink) (v)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/03/18/jay-leno-electric-cars-are-future/3175820002/
Comedian Jay Leno says 'all modern cars are good,' but electric cars 'will
be the future'
March 18, 2019  Dalvin Brown

[video
https://www.usatoday.com/videos/money/2019/03/13/jay-leno-talks-electric-cars/3153906002/

image
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/c9fefe4869fd2df29907c6a13d7e928bbbbadad0/c=0-0-2941-2211/local/-/media/2017/09/26/USATODAY/USATODAY/636420446163086951-AP-6501010521.jpg?width=540&height=405&fit=crop
This is a 1965 photo of Chevrolet's rear engine Corvair Corsa sports coup.
Consumer protection advocate Ralph Nader's 1965 book 'Unsafe at Any Speed:
The Designed-In Dangers of the American Automobile' was critical of the
corvair's safety record. (Photo: AP)
]

Jay Leno talks about electric cars with consumer tech reporter Dalvin Brown.
Josmar Taveras, USA TODAY

Comedian Jay Leno knows his car history: He's tinkered with a Depression-era
Ford, owns a Lamborghini from the 1960s and likes to point out the strengths
of a notorious Detroit lemon.

The stand-up and former "Tonight Show" host stopped by USA TODAY last week
where he discussed the past and future of cars, and offered a bit of wisdom
for people on the market for a new vehicle.

Over the years, the star of "Jay Leno's Garage" on CNBC has amassed a
multimillion-dollar collection of more than 250 vehicles, including a 1994
McLaren F1 that he says is the greatest car of the 20th century, a 1969
Lamborghini Miura S and a 1970 Mazda Cosmo which is one of the first
rotary-powered sports cars, according to Leno.

He has a 1954 Jaguar XK120M Coupe, which was one of the most successful
sports cars of its era, and a Bentley Speed Six that helped establish the
company's racing tradition in the late 1920s.

So what does a person who has an extensive assemblage of motorcycles, iconic
daily drivers and Smithsonian-worthy vehicles look for in a car?

"I like cars that are noble failures and cars that were ahead of their time
in their time," Leno said. He used the Chevrolet Corvair as an example.

Prohibitive costs: Working full-time for health coverage? Many who want
part-time jobs are stymied by costs

The notorious compact car saw two generations of production from 1960 to
1969. It was propelled to fame by Ralph Nader in 1965 when the attorney
wrote a scathing book, Unsafe At Any Speed, in which he went through a
litany of ways that cars are unsafe – from lack of restraint systems to
unpadded dashboards.

Leno, who acknowledged the controversy surrounding the car, said, "To me,
the Corvair was the most innovative car Chevrolet ever built. It was
brilliant — one of the most European (looking) American cars ever made."

"You can find them from $800 to $900. The best one in the world can't be
more than 20 grand," Leno said.

Another vintage vehicle the comedy legend is a big fan of is the 1934 Ford
Pickup truck.

Leno said it was the first car he ever owned. "I bought it when I was 14 and
spent two years working on it, getting ready for when I got my license."

While shooting an episode of his car series, he said that the car now sits
somewhere in the northeast, near Andover, Massachusetts. "Hopefully I'll
find that one," he said in the 1-minute clip.

While Leno has a horde of well-kept antique cars in a custom-built bunker in
Burbank, California, the self-proclaimed "big car lover" also has an
affinity for modern vehicles with high-tech features.

"I have a Tesla Model S. That's the future," Leno told USA TODAY.  "I
predict a child born today, most likely by the time they're 18, may not have
ever ridden in an internal combustion car. I think electric will be the
future."

The Tesla isn't the only EV Leno has in his collection.

He also owns a 1909 Baker Electric which he said can travel 80 miles on a
charge.

"It wasn't until recently with new battery technology that you get hundreds
and hundreds of miles (on a charge)," Leno said. "I think we'll see a
thousand-mile range pretty soon," Leno said about battery-powered cars.

The stand-up said that nowadays, you don't have to be a car aficionado to
pick out a quality vehicle that can stand the test of time ...

Tesla's latest: Tesla's Model Y is coming, but has this Model 3 owner's
yearning been fulfilled?

"All modern cars are good. There really aren't any bad cars anymore," Leno
said.

"Mufflers don't rust out anymore; cars don't rust anymore. They're made with
stainless steel and different alloys. So almost all automobiles are pretty
good, which means when they get 10 to 15 years old they're still good."
[© usatoday.com]

https://www.fltimes.com/news/nation/comedian-jay-leno-says-all-modern-cars-are-good-but/article_7e420620-8c03-50c9-9b36-d99b9654814e.html
Comedian Jay Leno says 'all modern cars are good,' but electric cars ...
2019-03-18  The stand-up and former "Tonight Show" host stopped by USA TODAY
last week where he discussed the past and future of cars, and offered a bit
of wisdom for ...

+  (EVs go like stink)
https://www.autonews.com/letter-editor/drivers-love-evs
Drivers love EVs  (letters)
March 18, 2019 ... I am both convinced and committed that my next vehicle
will be an electric vehicle ... reliability, performance, cost to own,
quietness, 5-Star Safety Rating and, yes, environmental impact ... drive a
car with better technology that can go like stink? ...