EVLN: Kona Battles (compared2) Bolt> (EVs are NOT lame= Crazy Demand)

EVLN: Kona Battles (compared2) Bolt> (EVs are NOT lame= Crazy Demand)

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a26425957/2019-chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-2019-hyundai-kona-electric/
2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV and 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric Battle To Find the
Best Alternative to the Tesla Model 3
Feb 20, 2019  Jeff Sabatini

[images
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-chevrolet-bolt-and-2019-hyundai-kona-electric-comparison-101-1550687261.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-chevrolet-bolt-and-2019-hyundai-kona-electric-comparison-103-1550687254.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-chevrolet-bolt-and-2019-hyundai-kona-electric-comparison-102-1550687259.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-chevrolet-bolt-comparison-101-1550686939.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-chevrolet-bolt-comparison-103-1550686956.jpg

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g26428740/2019-chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-2019-hyundai-kona-electric-gallery/?slide=4

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-comparison-101-1550686868.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-comparison-112-1550686876.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-comparison-104-1550686838.jpg
Car and DriverJessica Lynn Walker
]

But wait. Maybe don't cancel that Tesla Model 3 reservation just yet.

Tesla didn't attract nearly half a million reservations for the Model 3
because electric vehicles are lame. Quite the contrary: Instant torque,
one-pedal driving, and minimal running costs mean EVs should appeal to even
ardent fans of internal combustion. Yet Tesla hasn't closed a significant
number of those sales, with many would-be buyers presumably unwilling or
unable to spend $45,000 or more for the Model 3 as it is currently offered.
With no sign of the promised $35,000 version and Tesla's federal tax credit
winding down, perhaps it's time to consider other options.

You won't get Tesla's luxury cachet in the alternatives, which come from
mass-market carmakers, ones that sell on price. You won't get much choice,
either. Currently there are just two EVs that sticker below $40,000 and
boast battery packs large enough to allow driving in excess of 200 miles on
a charge, although a third will go on sale soon. The Hyundai Kona Electric
arrived early this year and, alongside its gas-powered variants, made our
2019 10Best Trucks and SUVs list. Its starting price of $37,495 matches the
Chevrolet Bolt EV's, which was a 10Best car in 2017 before it had any
competition. Nissan's Leaf Plus will go on sale shortly, with a more
powerful, 215-hp electric motor and a larger, 62.0-kWh battery pack than the
standard Leaf carries, allowing it to stretch its range another 76 miles, to
226. Unfortunately, Nissan announced the new model as we were conducting
this test.

The Bolt has changed little since its introduction for the 2017 model year.
It pairs a 200-hp motor with a 60.0-kWh lithium-ion battery pack to deliver
an EPA-rated 238 miles of range. Our test car was a top-of-the-line Premier,
which starts at $41,895, a price inflated by extra chrome, fancier wheels,
and heated leather front and rear-outboard seats, among other niceties.
Optional equipment—including the crucial $750 DC-fast-charging option, some
active safety tech, and upgraded infotainment—added $2125, bringing the cost
to an almost Tesla-like $44,130. And although you can still buy a Bolt and
receive the maximum $7500 federal tax credit for purchasing a new EV, that
amount gets cut in half starting April 1.

Much like the Bolt EV, the Kona Electric uses a 201-hp motor to power its
front wheels, although Hyundai's unit makes an extra 24 pound-feet of
torque, for a total of 290. Its battery pack is larger, at 64.0
kilowatt-hours, which gives the Kona an EPA range of 258 miles. Hyundai has
sold few electric vehicles in the U.S. to date, which means tax credits for
its vehicles won't be drying up anytime soon. In fact, supplies of the Kona
Electric are likely to be limited for the foreseeable future. As of this
writing, it's available only in California, though Hyundai says it plans to
begin distribution in Oregon and other CARB-compliant states in the future.

Our Kona Electric was a range-topping Ultimate model, which came with every
bell and whistle, including a few not found on the Bolt, for an estimated
$44,000. Notably standard on the Hyundai is DC fast charging, which brings
us to the elephant that accompanied us on our trip: charging. While this
drive up the California coast was principally a test of two vehicles, it was
also a chance to come to grips with the patchwork charging infrastructure
that owners of non-Teslas must use.

So let's start there. Third prize is you're fired, which is what should
happen to dealership employees who park service vehicles such that they
block access to public charging stations. Twice on our trip when we pulled
out our smartphones to search for paid public chargers, suitable nearby
locations turned up at car dealerships that sell EVs but that did not seem
to care whether customers could actually pull up to recharge them. The irony
of this negligence in the face of Tesla's secondary crusade, the one against
car dealers, was not lost on us. We also encountered another dealership that
had its fast charger programmed to shut off after pumping just 20.0
kilowatts of electricity, which is like a gas station that will only let you
fill up five gallons at a time.

In four days spent driving between Santa Monica and San Luis Obispo and out
to our test track near Lancaster, keeping the cars juiced proved
frustrating. A fast charger showed available when we plugged its coordinates
into the nav system but was already claimed once we arrived. A 240-volt
charger didn't have enough amperage to max out the 7.2-kW onboard charging
capacity of our vehicles. Chargers were sometimes hard to find, like one
public charger in a private, valet-only lot, with an unhelpful attendant who
gave us the stink eye when we plugged in.

One more thing: Tesla Supercharger stations are actually stations, with
multiple plugs to charge more than one car at a time, located in well-marked
and accessible areas. Most of the fast-charging "stations" we used were
single plugs in the back of parking lots. If our experience is any
indication, the public charging network might be the biggest drawback to
buying a non-Tesla EV.

2nd Place:
Chevrolet Bolt EV

Highs: Roomy, comfortable ride.
Lows: Lesser range, tippy handling, tall hatchback styling not to everyone's
taste.
Verdict: Groundbreaking a few years ago; now merely competitive.

The set of steak knives goes to the Chevy for multiple reasons, but none so
important as—you guessed it—its inferior range. Although EPA estimates for
the Bolt EV and Kona Electric give the latter only a 20-mile advantage,
during our 600-mile drive, we consistently saw the Hyundai showing an extra
50 miles in its electron tank. Which meant the Bolt took the blame for more
frequent stopping and standing around waiting on charging, which we will now
stop complaining about for the rest of this story.

It did give us plenty of time to compare and contrast the looks of the
dorky, upright Bolt and the short, squashed-looking Kona. "Like Bert and
Ernie," quipped technical editor David Beard. Neither vehicle is going to
win any design awards, but the Bolt looks like a cheap econobox hatchback
while the Kona looks like a cheap econobox crossover. Beauty is in the eye
of the beholder and all that, but right now the market prefers the latter.
So do we.

Inside, the Bolt fares better than the Kona, with a two-tone cabin finish
that aspires to more than just commodity-car status. The Kona offers the
standard Hyundai treatment, which means nice plastic and all, but nothing
special, save for a poorly designed array of shifter push-buttons. The
buttons themselves look like they were repurposed from the Genesis side of
the business, where they were probably used for something that should be
controlled by buttons. The Bolt isn't any better here, relying on GM's new
shift-by-wire joystick that tears up 50 years of PRNDL convention for no
good reason.

The two vehicles have nearly identical footprints, but the Bolt has a
narrower track and a higher roof. It feels less planted in turns, with more
body lean, although its steering is so dead that the first sign you're
losing grip is the stability-control light flashing in the dashboard.

The Bolt does deliver a more plush ride than the Kona Electric, with a
softer suspension tune that's better at absorbing impacts. But overall
comfort in the Chevy is limited by front seats that are too narrow; they
also force such a high seating position that we can't imagine any driver
wanting to raise the manually adjustable seat (the Hyundai's is powered)
from its lowest position. Even our two vertically challenged, sub-six-foot
drivers felt like gorillas on bar stools behind the wheel of the Bolt. It's
as if Chevrolet engineers, realizing late in development that their electric
car should have been a crossover, decided to give the little car the seating
position of one. Maybe this is why our Bolt didn't have a sunroof, either.

The most disappointing thing about the Bolt is that even though it was
developed as a dedicated EV that does not share its mechanicals with an
internal-combustion vehicle, it still seems compromised compared with the
Kona. Such is the pace of electric-vehicle development.

1st Place:
Hyundai Kona Electric

Highs: Fun to drive, excellent infotainment system, efficient.
Lows: Limited availability, ho-hum interior.
Verdict: The current best of the small group of real-world-viable electric
cars.

When it comes to cars with internal-combustion engines, the ones that win
C/D comparison tests tend to be those that put up the better numbers. The
Kona Electric did just that. It was a bit quicker at the test track, nipping
the Chevy by a tenth in both zero-to-60-mph acceleration and through the
quarter-mile. On the skidpad, the Kona Electric pulled 0.83 g against the
Bolt's 0.80, although we were unable to hustle the Hyundai through our
slalom quite as fast as we could the Chevy. The Kona was more efficient
during our drive, too, returning 112 MPGe overall, while the Bolt managed
only 101 MPGe.

But as any good salesman will tell you, numbers only keep the boss off your
back—you still want to enjoy what you're doing every day. In the Kona
Electric, this comes from its adjustable regenerative braking. It allows the
driver to cruise effortlessly on the freeway; with adaptive cruise
(unavailable on the Bolt) and lane-keeping assist activated and the regen
turned down, the ultraquiet Kona floats along like a futurist mobility pod.
Then when the road gets more interesting, go ahead and dial up the regen
level for nearly one-pedal driving that's a decent simulacrum of a Tesla.
The Bolt has a similar system for temporarily increasing the
regenerative-braking force by way of a paddle on the left side of the
steering wheel, but it proved less effective during the twisty, hilly
sections of our route, where it was slow to activate, making the Chevy more
difficult to drive smoothly.

The Kona Electric is not just better to drive but easier to live with. It is
quieter than the Bolt. It has a lower lift-over height to its rear cargo
hold, which is also larger than the Chevy's. Though the Bolt's back seat is
more capacious, the Kona can still accommodate four adults in reasonable
comfort. Hyundai's infotainment system is su­peri­or to GM's, with a more
logical interface and better EV-specific information and controls. Also
credit Hyundai for including DC fast charging as standard on Kona Electrics.
Chevrolet's decision to sell fast charging as an option is puzzling; the
last thing a car company truly committed to electrification should be doing
is creating such confusion for the customer.

Speaking of which, limited supply from Korea, where Konas are built, means
Hyundai has no plans to sell its EV on dealer lots in the non-CARB-compliant
states, although the company has said that individuals will be able to place
orders for the Kona Electric through their local Hyundai store. Good luck
with that. Some waiting will be involved, so maybe don't cancel that $35,000
Tesla Model 3 res­ervation just yet.
[© caranddriver.com]

[dated]
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Kona-EV-vs-Bolt-Battle-v-tp4692441.html
EVLN: Kona EV vs Bolt Battle (v)
Chevrolet Bolt EV Battles Hyundai Kona Electric: Video
Jan 07 2019

+
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-cant-ship-kona-electric-crazy-demand/
Hyundai Can’t Ship You That Promised Kona Electric Due To Crazy Demand
2019-02-21  As their statement suggests, the delay for some in EV-thirsty
non-ZEV states may not be too long, so there is hope on the horizon for
some. The question now ...
https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/hyundai-kona-electric-ceramic-blue-front.jpg

Re: EVLN: Kona Battles (compared2) Bolt> (EVs are NOT lame= Crazy Demand)

So you can buy a model 3 with access to the super charger network for the same price as a Hyundai LOL!

Sent from my iPhone