EVLN: Lordstown Endurance pickup e-truck> 4 in-wheel e-motors

EVLN: Lordstown Endurance pickup e-truck> 4 in-wheel e-motors

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/28/lordstown-motors-takes-the-wraps-off-its-endurance-electric-pickup-truck/
Lordstown Motors Takes The Wraps Off Its Endurance Electric Pickup Truck
June 28th, 2020  The Lordstown Endurance is an American-made all-electric
pickup truck with 4 in-wheel motors that use technology licensed from
Elaphe, 600 horsepower, a stump-pulling maximum torque of 4,400 ft-lbs, and
a range of 250 miles. By design it looks pretty much like a standard pickup
truck ...
https://cleantechnica.com/files/2020/02/lordstown-motor-endurance-electric-truck-sketch-1536x549.jpg

+
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200627-solaris.html
First electric school bus in Poland; Solaris Urbino 12 electric
27 June 2020 ... The first electric school bus in Poland will carry children
to classes in Godzianów near ?ód?. The purchase of the electric school bus
was subsidized by NFO?iGW ... There will be room for a total of 41 young
passengers on the school Urbino 12 electric commissioned by the municipality

For EVLN EV-newswire posts view:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/
https://mail-archive.com/ev@.../maillist.html

On 29 Jun 2020 at 11:36, Christopher Darilek via EV wrote:

>  Are we still laughing at hub motors? Unsprung weight? Or does Lordstown know what they're doing?

The Mitsubishi Imiev prototype had hub motors.  You may have noticed that
the production model didn't.  I don't think that was entirely a cost-driven
decision.

The original GM Impact was a 2-motor design (though not hub motors) and it
also dropped to a single motor when it came time to make it a production
vehicle.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

Re: EVLN: Lordstown Endurance pickup e-truck> 4 in-wheel e-motors

Christopher Darilek via EV wrote:
>   Are we still laughing at hub motors? Unsprung weight? Or does Lordstown know what they're doing?

Wheel motors can work; there are certainly enough real-world examples,
ranging from bicycles and scooters, to railroad locomotives and large
earth-moving equipment.

But they make hard engineering problems even harder; and that adds cost.
They add weight, which worsens ride and handling.

On the flip side, wheel motors are popular gimmick to add a
"revolutionary breakthrough" flavor to lure investors into shady
outfits. They're right in there with magic batteries and impossible
range claims.

Only time will tell...

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Re: [External] Re: EVLN: Lordstown Endurance pickup e-truck> 4 in-wheel e-motors

Nice looking truck, but meeting the demands of commercial operators will require more than a 4.5 foot bed and 7,500 pounds of towing (that looks more like a Toyota Tacoma). So what are they doing with those 4,400 ft. lb. of torque? F250 diesel max torque is about 1,000 ft. lb. and towing 18,000 pounds plus. Looks more like they are catering to the commercial boss who drives around to different sites and maybe brings some small equipment or materials to the real workers who are still driving diesels. Maybe this is just the beginning and there will be more configurations later.

George Mullineaux
3rd Shift Wrench Monkey

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/28/lordstown-motors-takes-the-wraps-off-its-endurance-electric-pickup-truck/__;!!CvttNVKvMsQ7MGjF!qxftRaxQKW_j-xjiXH1rDahHedcJQZQoPeobClCYWsmdXbaJSi9Pz8YB6-IUH3TFmC-MaZQN3763FYQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cleantechnica.com/files/2020/02/lordstown-motor-endurance-electric-truck-sketch-1536x549.jpg__;!!CvttNVKvMsQ7MGjF!qxftRaxQKW_j-xjiXH1rDahHedcJQZQoPeobClCYWsmdXbaJSi9Pz8YB6-IUH3TFmC-MaZQN52_H648$