EVLN: Low profile Si/SiC hybrid IGBT modules for EV use

EVLN: Low profile Si/SiC hybrid IGBT modules for EV use

brucedp5

http://www.compoundsemiconductor.net/csc/news-details/id/19734081/name/SiSiC-hybrid-IGBT-modules-from-Powerex.html
Si/SiC hybrid IGBT modules from Powerex  Oct 06 2011

The low profile modules which feature a silicon carbide Schottky
diode are designed for use in high frequency applications.

Combining the NFH-Series Powerex IGBT and a zero recovery Schottky
diode, Powerex is now offering split dual Si/SiC hybrid IGBT modules.

The QID1210005 and QID1210006 are designed for use in high frequency
applications above 30kHz for hard switching applications and 60 to 80
kHz for soft switching applications.

Each module consists of two IGBT transistors, with each transistor
having a reverse-connected zero recovery free-wheel SiC Schottky
diode. A 30% decrease in switching losses result from this innovative
design. All components and interconnects are isolated from the heat
sinking baseplate, offering simplified system assembly and thermal
management.

QID1210005 and QID1210006 boast a very low profile and can be easily
reconfigured. In total, five different configurations are possible:
independent; as a dual; in parallel; common collector; and common
emitter.

Rated at 100A/1200V, the QID1210005 and QID1210006 feature a low ESW
(off), AlN isolation and a low internal inductance. With two
individual switches per module, the device has an isolated baseplate
for easy heat sinking. The QID1210005 has a copper baseplate and the
QID1210006 has an AlSiC baseplate for an extended thermal cycle life.

These hybrid modules can be used in applications, including energy
saving power systems, such as fans, pumps and consumer appliances and
high frequency type power systems, such as UPS, high speed motor
drives, induction heating, welder and robotics. Other applications
include high temperature power systems, such as power electronics in
electric vehicle and aviation systems.

Standard Powerex NFH gate drivers can be used with the split dual
Si/SiC Hybrid IGBT modules.  [© Copyright 2011 COMPOUNDSEMICONDUCTOR]

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Low profile Si/SiC hybrid IGBT modules for EV use

Collin Kidder
Thanks for the article. They are interesting but there's a big
problem: They are priced at around $500 a piece. That's pretty pricey
for 100A modules. CM600DU modules have pretty well all the same specs
(except for the unobtainium diodes) and are around $400 for 600A 600V
modules. I'm having serious doubts about the need for these new items.
Hopefully the price drops when they go into real production.