EVLN: Morley EV-converts elderly-Tojo> skun-knuckles, thrown-spanners, wicked-language= Bugger

EVLN: Morley EV-converts elderly-Tojo> skun-knuckles, thrown-spanners, wicked-language= Bugger

'I genuinely love the idea of hitting the fast lane for free(nil), and
jamming it up the people who think they can jack up fuel prices before a
long weekend'

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/converting-classic-into-electric-car-is-not-cheap
Opinion: Converting a classic into an electric car isn't cheap
16 Mar 2019  David Morley

[images
https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/imagegen/max/ccr/1023/-/s3/digital-cougar-assets/whichcar/2019/03/14/-1/Cheaper-to-buy-electric-car-than-converting-one-feature.jpg

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/whichcar/2019/03/14/Misc/Jaguar-E-Type-Zero.jpg

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/whichcar/2019/03/14/Misc/1970s-Toyota-RA40-Celica-Liftback.jpg

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/whichcar/2019/03/14/Misc/ICON-Mercury-electric-coupe-layout.jpg
Picture: ICON Mercury electric coupe chassis

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/whichcar/2019/03/14/Misc/Holden-Torana-A9X.jpg
Street Machine: Electric Torana E-A9X
]

Cheaper to buy electric car than converting one feature

Morley's electric dreams gets a cold shock of reality

Awww. Looks like the universe has spoiled my fun again. For a while now,
I’ve been harbouring the idea of building an electric car. As in, taking
something like a two-grand hatchback, tearing out the engine and stuffing
what’s left of it full of electric motor and Lithium-ion batteries.

It just appeals to me as an interesting project. It’s not that I’ve gone all
green or anything but I do have solar panels on the roof at 13 Struggle
Street and I genuinely love the idea of (a) hitting the fast lane for free,
and (b) jamming it up the people who think they can jack up the per-litre
price at the start of a long weekend and not have me notice.

Having driven a dual-motor Tesla, I’m also kind of keen on the notion of
giving the end product some serious blurt. But also, I think it’d be an
interesting thing with which to be involved even if there would be the
inevitable skun knuckles, thrown spanners and wicked language.

I even had the car picked out: a late ’70s RA40 Toyota Celica Liftback. Stay
with me here. For a start, the Celica is a size bigger than a Hyundai Getz
or Suzuki Swift (two of the cars on the radar of the home-garage EV
builder). But thanks to all that ’70s tech (ie, nuthin’) the Celica with its
one-size-up footprint still weighs just about a tonne which is, obviously, a
big factor in any EV when it comes to ultimate acceleration and overall
range.

I also happen to like these elderly Tojos, but that’s beside the point,
because the relatively large, flat floor of the RA40’s luggage area would
seem a natch spot to stash a bunch of batteries.

You could even remove the rear seat if necessary and then there’s still
scope to build a false floor over the whole lot and have the space to fit
enough soft luggage for a weekend at Comic-Con (or wherever it is EV nerds
like to holiday and hang out).

If you’ve ever seen Neal Bates hammering his RA40 historic rally car through
the mulga at unlikely velocities, you’ll also appreciate that these Toyotas
are tough old buggers, so the extra weight of a bank of Li-ions shouldn’t
unduly tax the structure.

On top of that, the RA40 was one of the last rear-drive Celicas, so its
layout is simpler than the operator’s manual for a hammer. The driveline is
spaced out along the whole length of the car, meaning that finding space for
all the gizmos, gadgets and the flux capacitor shouldn’t present too much of
a head-scratch.

Finally, the styled-in-America (and let’s not forget who taught the Japanese
to make coffee) Celica can be picked up for chump change and, if it goes
wrong and blams through the back wall of the garage and into the swimming
pool because you crossed the wrong wires, nobody much – apart from anybody
enjoying a dip at the time – is going to care.

Apply the same attitude to an Aussie Holden Torana A9X Hatch and see how far
you get before a horde of well-meaning, extensively tattooed middle-aged
males descend, chain you to your welder and throw you in the same pool.

But here’s where the world has given my genius its latest concept-wedgie...
the budget for this sort of messing about is not going to give me any change
out of, say, $20K or $30K at an absolute minimum.

And right now – and you can check this for yourself – I can go out and buy a
Nissan Leaf [EV] for less than that same 20-gorilla low-ball number.
Suddenly, my one-off, can’t-buy-parts-for, insurance-company-scaring,
zero-air-bags, god-knows-what-VicRoads-will-make-of-it Toyota is dead on the
water. Bugger.
[© whichcar.com.au]
https://www.google.com/search?q=RA40+Celica+Liftback
RA40 Celica Liftback
https://www.google.com/search?q=tojo+meaning
tojo
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bugger+meaning
Bugger (#4)

+
https://www.electrive.com/2019/03/11/ikea-australia-commits-to-100-ev-fleet-by-2025/
Ikea Australia commits to 100% EV fleet by 2025
Mar 11, 2019  IKEA Australia is electrifying its entire fleet with a
commitment to have quit internal combustion engines for all delivery and
assembly vehicles nationally by 2025. IKEA Australia has a fleet of around
100 trucks to swap for EVs ...  Shanghai.cn has since made this a reality
ahead of schedule ...
https://www.electrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ikea-frankreich-france-renault-zoe-kangoo-ze-02.png

Re: EVLN: Morley EV-converts elderly-Tojo> skun-knuckles, thrown-spanners, wicked-language= Bugger

I converted a 1986 Celica for $16,000 back in 2009 when all you could get were LiFePO4 cells and they were more expensive than the cells you can buy from wrecked cars now.

Sent from my iPhone