EVLN: NASA X-57 Maxwell e-plane w/ 14 e-motors> fly in 2020

EVLN: NASA X-57 Maxwell e-plane w/ 14 e-motors> fly in 2020

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/techandscience/nasa-unveils-early-version-of-all-electric-plane/ar-BBWw9cI?li=BBqdg4K
NASA unveils early version of all-electric plane
November 10, 2019

[images  / © Other,Getty,Reuters/NASA
https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBWvKJ1.img
The plane is called the X-57 'Maxwell'

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBWvSmZ.img
a person on the machine: The plane has been under development since 2015.
Pic: Reuters/NASA
The plane has been under development since 2015

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBWuT2u.img
a group of people sitting at a table: Batteries for the plane.
Batteries for the plane
]

The plane is called the X-57 'Maxwell'. Pic: Reuters/NASA
NASA has unveiled an all-electric plane which it has been developing since
2015.

The experimental aircraft, or X-plane, has been designated X-57, and will be
known as "Maxwell" for short.

It could be ready for its first test flight from Edwards Air Force Base in
the desert of southern California next year.

The X-57 has been adapted from an Italian-made Tecnam P2006T twin-engine
propeller plane but with the traditional combustion engines replaced with
electric cruise motors.

There are 14 electric motors powered by specially designed lithium-ion
batteries, the same technology used in mobile phones and electric cars.

According to NASA, using an existing aircraft design will allow data from
the baseline model in its traditional configuration to be compared to data
produced by the same model powered using electric propulsion.

The US space agency has developed many experimental aircraft, including the
bullet-shaped Bell X-1 that first broke the sound barrier, and the X-15
rocket plane flown by Neil Armstrong before he joined the Apollo team.

The Maxwell is its first crewed X-plane in two decades.

NASA has also shown off a newly built simulator which enables pilots and
engineers to get a sense of what it might be like to fly the X-57.

The aircraft is expected to have a maximum operational altitude of 14,000ft
or 4.2km, well below the 45,000ft or 13km of commercial airliners.

NASA hopes the project will help develop the technology to a standard which
could be adapted by commercial manufacturers to meet government standards.

These standards will include how airworthy and safe the plane is, as well as
how energy efficient and noisy it could be.

Brent Cobleigh, a project manager at NASA's flight research centre, told
Reuters: "We're focusing on things that can help the whole industry, not
just one company.

"Our target right now is to fly this airplane in late 2020."
[© msn.com]

+
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/drones-will-swarm-our-skies-when-these-3-things-happen/ar-BBWxUgP
Drones will swarm our skies when these 3 things happen
20191106 ... mainstream models like the DJI Mavic. This one is Boeing's
Cargo Air Vehicle ... Uber Eats meal delivery drone prototype is designed to
take off vertically then pivot its propellers for more efficient forward
flight ...
https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBWxUel.img

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/

Re: EVLN: NASA X-57 Maxwell e-plane w/ 14 e-motors> fly in 2020

Better altitude compared to small ICE planes, which typically max out
around 11 or 12,000 feet due to lack of oxygen. No mention of range.

Apparently it is more efficient to have a line of small propellers than
a single large one, as shown in this rendering. Obviously not practical
with a single ICE. Does anyone know why it is better ?

Peri

On 2019-11-11 10:13 a.m., Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> Does anyone know why it is better ?

I'm not an engineer, but I think that having accelerated air from the props
along the whole length of the wing creates additional lift.

With a single prop the air from the prop would only add lift in the area near
the fuselage.

Re: EVLN: NASA X-57 Maxwell e-plane w/ 14 e-motors> fly in 2020

Interesting thought. Does that actually pan out ? After all, that
additional lift takes energy which I think would result in less forward
thrust. Not sure that's a positive tradeoff.

Peri

Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> Interesting thought. Does that actually pan out ? After all, that
> additional lift takes energy which I think would result in less forward
> thrust. Not sure that's a positive tradeoff.

There have been STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) aircraft that actually
wrapped part of the wing around the engine and propeller. The propeller
blew air across the top of the wing to generate lift even when the plane
is not moving. Such planes could take off with a much shorter runway.

--
There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows
about. It's very serious, and interferes completely with your work. The

Re: EVLN: NASA X-57 Maxwell e-plane w/ 14 e-motors> fly in 2020

Estimated 100 mile range 1 hour flying time. The motors between the two ends are for takeoff and landing. The two end motors are for cruise. They mount on top of the wings for better lift. It’s it just to test concepts.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 11, 2019, at 9:13 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Better altitude compared to small ICE planes, which typically max out around 11 or 12,000 feet due to lack of oxygen. No mention of range.
>
> Apparently it is more efficient to have a line of small propellers than a single large one, as shown in this rendering. Obviously not practical with a single ICE. Does anyone know why it is better ?
>
> Peri

Ah, I see. So, when more lift is needed, they use the inner motors. For
cruise, they want speed and less lift. I wonder if they can do away with
flaps ? Really fascinating possibilities with the flexibility that
electric motors bring.

Peri

>Estimated 100 mile range 1 hour flying time. The motors between the two ends are for takeoff and landing. The two end motors are for cruise. They mount on top of the wings for better lift. It’s it just to test concepts.
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>>  On Nov 11, 2019, at 9:13 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Better altitude compared to small ICE planes, which typically max out around 11 or 12,000 feet due to lack of oxygen. No mention of range.
>>
>>  Apparently it is more efficient to have a line of small propellers than a single large one, as shown in this rendering. Obviously not practical with a single ICE. Does anyone know why it is better ?
>>
>>  Peri

(Aero engineer speaking up here)

It's the thrust that makes the lift.

The function of the wings and the flaps are to take some portion of the air being blown across the wings (either directly by a propellor or jet engine, or indirectly by the forward motion of the airplane), and turn that flow downwards. By Newton's Third Law, there's an equal-and-opposite upward force on the airplane. This is lift. All that stuff about Bernoulli's Principle is just details on how the flow is turned, feel free to forget about it until you need to do calculations for incompressible fluid flow.

A side effect of generating lift this way is generating drag. Some of the energy from the engines is now not being used to move the plane forwards, so it counts as a loss for forward motion. That's drag. More lift means more drag.

Flaps are used to generate huge amounts of lift at takeoff, with a corresponding huge increase in drag. The engines need to be big enough to supply enough thrust to still allow the airplane to take off.

Now about all those electric motors!

One benefit is to be able to smoothly vary the airflow across the entire wing as needed. Another benefit is that, generally speaking, a bunch of small electric motors can be cheaper than an equivalently-powerful large electric motor. Finally, having lots of motors gives you redundancy in case of a failure, which is important in an airplane. Extra costs include the complexity of the control system, the more complicated mechanical design of the wing, and weight and cost of extra wiring.

When the engineers who did this design studied the tradeoffs, they must have decided that lots of electric motors were a better idea than just one or two. Et voila, you have the X-57.

> On Nov 11, 2019, at 7:54 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting thought. Does that actually pan out ? After all, that additional lift takes energy which I think would result in less forward thrust. Not sure that's a positive tradeoff.
>
> Peri

Doug Weathers
http://www.gdunge.com
"There is no easy way from the Earth to the stars." - Seneca
"We choose to go to the Moon and do the other things - not because
they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F. Kennedy