EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

brucedp5

MP supports Guide Dogs' call to keep pedestrians safe from silent menace

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/local/noisy-campaign-gets-backing-from-the-blind-1-5199921
`Noisy' campaign gets backing from the blind  23/06/2013

[video  flash]
Blind and partially sighted people have put their weight behind a campaign calling for newly manufactured electric cars to generate a sound when driven.

Among those backing the bid is Adeyfield householder Derek Batt, who is registered blind and uses guide dog Lucas to help him get about.

The pair were almost hit by an electric car in Hemel Hempstead while on their way to attend a meeting about the issue with Herts MEP Richard Howitt at Boxmoor’s Social Centre for the Blind on Monday.

Loyal Lucas had tried to stop Derek from crossing the road but because he could not hear the electric car he insisted that the dog proceed.

“All of a sudden the car was on top of me,” said Derek.

“I think the campaign is fantastic.”

Luckily the car managed to stop before hitting Derek or Lucas and the pair were unscathed.

Mr Howitt said: “I voted recently in the European Parliament for the compulsory requirement to add sound to electric and hybrid vehicles, after listening carefully to the case made by local campaigners and the Guide Dogs Safe and Sound campaign.

“The number of electric and hybrid vehicles on the road will grow apace as we all want better fuel economy and to reduce carbon emissions but these new vehicles are virtually silent and can pose a threat to pedestrians and cyclists, especially the safety of blind and partially sighted people.

“Research in Britain, taking into account the number of vehicles on the road, shows pedestrians more likely to be hit by an electric car than a conventional one.”

Mr Howitt was joined in Hemel Hempstead by Guide Dogs community engagement officer Sue Rowen.
[© 2013 Johnston Publishing]

http://www.clicklancashire.com/news/local-news/1214521-mp-supports-guide-dogs%5C-call-to-keep-pedestrians-safe-from-silent-menace-.html
MP supports Guide Dogs' call to keep pedestrians safe from silent menace
by Sazida Desai. Published Mon 01 Jul 2013  Mr Hendrick has supported Guide Dogs' call for the installation of a vital safety feature on quiet hybrid and electric vehicles to keep pedestrians safe, ...

http://www.cumnockchronicle.com/news/roundup/articles/2013/07/01/462618-cathy-calls-for-noisier-hybrid-vehicles-to-keep-pedestrians-safe/
Cathy calls for noisier hybrid vehicles to keep pedestrians safe
Published 1 Jul 2013  Kilmarnock and Loudoun MP Cathy Jamieson is supporting Guide Dogs' call for the installation of a vital safety feature on quiet hybrid and electric vehicles to ...

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

Here are today's archive-only EV posts:

EVLN: Electric Cars Beat ice Racers at Pikes Peak?
EVLN: Not so Smart quirky EV marketing, a redesigned ForTwo in ~2015
EVLN: A shocking attack on the electric car (video)
EVLN: Madrid's EV-Only-Use Bid to Host 2020 Olympic Games
+
EVLN: Geico Won't Insure EVs in Hawaii ...

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

Cor van de Water
Reading this case, I must think of the saying "the blind leading the
lame".

Because a blind person overruled the guidance of his guide dog, he put
himself in danger by stepping out in front of an approacing car and even
though there was no accident, because the driver managed to avoid the
consequence of the blind person's stupid decision, still the lawmakers
feel compelled to take action on said event.
Why do I feel sad?

BTW, I *do* hope that some blind and lawmakers do the right thing and
also call for ramped up enforcement of already existing laws to reduce
the excessive noise that a certain section of vehicles make, which will
mask the small sounds of all traffic in a large area around them - I see
that as a much bigger thread for a long list of reasons. I am talking in
particular about unnecessary increase of noise because the owner likes
the vehicle to make a different sound and more than the design of the
vehicle.
(muffler delete and even straight pipes) All of which are unnecessary,
already regulated but almost never enforced and causing problems that
continue to exist and affect not just blind people. Since they are now
calling for legislation to be able to hear silent cars, they should also
consider the masking effect of *loud* vehicles on all nearby normal car
sounds - leading to the same effect that they try to avoid with this
legislation, but affecting *all* cars.

For the record - I still see the driver of the vehicle as the ultimate
responsible person here, whether the vehicle makes noise or not, he/she
is operating a potentially lethal weapon and must always keep an eye out
for unexpected moves by other participants in traffic, such as
pedestrians unexpectedly starting to cross the road. For example often a
car stopped for a crosswalk is passed by other cars, which is illegal
and certainly dangerous for the pedestrian in the crosswalk, whether
blind or not. I still consider "distracted driving" the real menace, not
the silent cars.
The analogy would be to discharge a weapon without looking where you are
aiming, because distracted driving is no different than distracted
shooting.

The main difference this law will create is that a blind person will at
the last moment hear the silent car before it hit him/her, I do not
think it will make much difference in actual numbers of crashes or
casualties. Sorry if this sounds cynical.

Since my comments are mostly OT, it may be best to not respond here.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

[...]

[(c) 2013 Johnston Publishing]

[...]

Evan Tuer
> Among those backing the bid is Adeyfield householder Derek Batt, who is
> registered blind and uses guide dog Lucas to help him get about.
>
> The pair were almost hit by an electric car in Hemel Hempstead while on
> their way to attend a meeting about the issue with Herts MEP Richard Howitt
> at Boxmoor’s Social Centre for the Blind on Monday.

"Oh really"

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

maJiCMan39
Seems a little too convenient to their cause to be true.  JMHO

Jim

> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:46:29 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)
>
> > Among those backing the bid is Adeyfield householder Derek Batt, who is
> > registered blind and uses guide dog Lucas to help him get about.
> >
> > The pair were almost hit by an electric car in Hemel Hempstead while on
> > their way to attend a meeting about the issue with Herts MEP Richard Howitt
> > at Boxmoor’s Social Centre for the Blind on Monday.
> >

> "Oh really"

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

Chris Tromley
I continue to wonder why EVs are singled out on this issue.  There are
plenty of luxury vehicles that are quieter than some EVs.  I would even
support some sort of low level noisemaker for parking lot speeds where tire
noise is insufficient.  But only if it applies to ALL vehicles.

Chris
On Jul 2, 2013 7:49 AM, "Jim M" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems a little too convenient to their cause to be true.  JMHO
>
> Jim
>
> > Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:46:29 +0100
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the
> blind     (video)
> >
> > > Among those backing the bid is Adeyfield householder Derek Batt, who is
> > > registered blind and uses guide dog Lucas to help him get about.
> > >
> > > The pair were almost hit by an electric car in Hemel Hempstead while on
> > > their way to attend a meeting about the issue with Herts MEP Richard
> Howitt
> > > at Boxmoor’s Social Centre for the Blind on Monday.
> > >

> > "Oh really"

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

Lee Hart
Chris Tromley wrote:
> I continue to wonder why EVs are singled out on this issue. There are
> plenty of luxury vehicles that are quieter than some EVs.

Because there are groups with an agenda, who stretch whatever
circumstances come along to support their cause, whether the fact
justify it or not. :-/

--
The storage battery is one of those peculiar things which appeals to
the imagination, and no more perfect thing could be desired by stock

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

Peri Hartman
I think we can make more progress by lobbying for an appropriate sound
rather than trying to fight it altogether.

Personally, I'd like EVS to be as quiet as possible. I  can envision a
future where an intersection will be the quietest point on the road - no
engines drumming, no tire noise, just a slight whrr when the light turns
green.  Contrast that to what it is now, with loud exhausts and heavy
vehicles trying to accelerate.  Not peaceful, huh?>

Now imagine the same intersection with EVs equipped with noisemakers.  If
they sound anything like backup alerts on trucks, it doesn't take much to
hear the cacophony of racket.  Probably worse than the ICE noise we have
now.

So, I will by proposing something which could turn into a national
automotive vehicle alert requirement:
1. unique from other road noises (so the blind can recognize it),
2. no louder than necessary to hear from 5' away and < 30db.
3. nonaggravating to hear; for example a softly pulsing pink noise.

Peri Hartman

> I continue to wonder why EVs are singled out on this issue. There are
> plenty of luxury vehicles that are quieter than some EVs.

Because there are groups with an agenda, who stretch whatever
circumstances come along to support their cause, whether the fact
justify it or not. :-/

--
The storage battery is one of those peculiar things which appeals to
the imagination, and no more perfect thing could be desired by stock
swindlers than that very selfsame thing. Just as soon as a man gets
working on the secondary battery it brings out his latent capacity for
lying. -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

Ed Blackmond
How about broadcasting a signal at a frequency outside the audible range.
Then sell a device that can pick it up.  Legislation could require all
smart phones, ipods and such to pick it up.  If the noise signal was
required for all vehicles, then people wearing ear phones, whether blind
or not would get a warning regardless of the type of vehicle.

Ed

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Peri Hartman wrote:

> I think we can make more progress by lobbying for an appropriate sound
> rather than trying to fight it altogether.
>
> Personally, I'd like EVS to be as quiet as possible. I  can envision a
> future where an intersection will be the quietest point on the road - no
> engines drumming, no tire noise, just a slight whrr when the light turns
> green.  Contrast that to what it is now, with loud exhausts and heavy
> vehicles trying to accelerate.  Not peaceful, huh?>
>
> Now imagine the same intersection with EVs equipped with noisemakers.  If
> they sound anything like backup alerts on trucks, it doesn't take much to
> hear the cacophony of racket.  Probably worse than the ICE noise we have
> now.
>
> So, I will by proposing something which could turn into a national
> automotive vehicle alert requirement:
> 1. unique from other road noises (so the blind can recognize it),
> 2. no louder than necessary to hear from 5' away and < 30db.
> 3. nonaggravating to hear; for example a softly pulsing pink noise.
>
> Peri Hartman

rustybkts
How about us all fitting very loud noise makers so they can't then complain............then we will get people legislating to make the silent, now noisy cars quieter.

What a load of rubbish. People always look for problems with everything.

I thought blind people had better hearing! Maybe all the ICE's are stopping them from hearing the EV's coming down the road!
Russ Sciville
Vortex GT EV
Lotus Elise EV
Stiga Villa EV lawnmower

Re: EVLN: 'Noisy EV' campaign gets backing from the blind (video)

Peri Hartman
That's very clever - I like it.  But it probably wouldn't gain traction in
congress because it requires "opting in".  Also it becomes complicated to
make the regenerated signal be directional.

Peri

How about broadcasting a signal at a frequency outside the audible range.
Then sell a device that can pick it up.  Legislation could require all
smart phones, ipods and such to pick it up.  If the noise signal was
required for all vehicles, then people wearing ear phones, whether blind
or not would get a warning regardless of the type of vehicle.

Ed

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Peri Hartman wrote:

> I think we can make more progress by lobbying for an appropriate sound
> rather than trying to fight it altogether.
>
> Personally, I'd like EVS to be as quiet as possible. I  can envision a
> future where an intersection will be the quietest point on the road - no
> engines drumming, no tire noise, just a slight whrr when the light turns
> green.  Contrast that to what it is now, with loud exhausts and heavy
> vehicles trying to accelerate.  Not peaceful, huh?>
>
> Now imagine the same intersection with EVs equipped with noisemakers.  If
> they sound anything like backup alerts on trucks, it doesn't take much to
> hear the cacophony of racket.  Probably worse than the ICE noise we have
> now.
>
> So, I will by proposing something which could turn into a national
> automotive vehicle alert requirement:
> 1. unique from other road noises (so the blind can recognize it),
> 2. no louder than necessary to hear from 5' away and < 30db.
> 3. nonaggravating to hear; for example a softly pulsing pink noise.
>
> Peri Hartman

Rush Dougherty
And then between the warnings, you could sell advertising time.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Martin WINLOW
Hi Ed,  This is something I have thought of before (a long time before mobile phones became popular) but not in this context and with the signal being received by the car rather than sending it.  Here in the UK the old, meandering (and I'm talking thousands of years old, here) country lanes are often  single track with passing places and have high banks/hedges on each side sometimes as high as 10 feet or more.  Needless to say visibility of the road ahead can be as little as 20 feet or so.  Relatively slow moving traffic - walkers, cyclists and horse riders - often come into conflict with much faster moving cars, trucks and farm machinery.

I thought about using something similar to assist car drivers in anticipating these hazards.  Your plan would be better but I originally considered using the inaudible frequencies naturally generated by vehicles engines and gearboxes which would mean no additional cost to the car owner/maker.  I wonder if mobile phones carrier signal could be used instead - longer range than wifi - and most people have one nowadays.  A bit OT!

MW

On 2 Jul 2013, at 16:57, Ed Blackmond wrote:

> How about broadcasting a signal at a frequency outside the audible range.
> Then sell a device that can pick it up.  Legislation could require all
> smart phones, ipods and such to pick it up.  If the noise signal was
> required for all vehicles, then people wearing ear phones, whether blind
> or not would get a warning regardless of the type of vehicle.
>
> Ed
>
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Peri Hartman wrote:
>
>> I think we can make more progress by lobbying for an appropriate sound
>> rather than trying to fight it altogether.
>>
>> Personally, I'd like EVS to be as quiet as possible. I  can envision a
>> future where an intersection will be the quietest point on the road - no
>> engines drumming, no tire noise, just a slight whrr when the light turns
>> green.  Contrast that to what it is now, with loud exhausts and heavy
>> vehicles trying to accelerate.  Not peaceful, huh?>
>>
>> Now imagine the same intersection with EVs equipped with noisemakers.  If
>> they sound anything like backup alerts on trucks, it doesn't take much to
>> hear the cacophony of racket.  Probably worse than the ICE noise we have
>> now.
>>
>> So, I will by proposing something which could turn into a national
>> automotive vehicle alert requirement:
>> 1. unique from other road noises (so the blind can recognize it),
>> 2. no louder than necessary to hear from 5' away and < 30db.
>> 3. nonaggravating to hear; for example a softly pulsing pink noise.
>>
>> Peri Hartman

gtyler54
Sounds like he is prepared to die to prove his point.....

[...]

MP supports Guide Dogs' call to keep pedestrians safe from silent menace by Sazida Desai. Published Mon 01 Jul 2013  Mr Hendrick has supported Guide Dogs' call for the installation of a vital safety feature on quiet hybrid and electric vehicles to keep pedestrians safe, ...