EVLN: PA HS-student built a ripping Honda S2000 EV-conversion

EVLN: PA HS-student built a ripping Honda S2000 EV-conversion

brucedp5

% 782hp? ... Zilla 2000 EHV + 333V pack %

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/high-school-student-builds-an-all-electric-honda-s2000-with-782-horsepower/
[image] High-school student builds an all-electric Honda S2000 with 782 horsepower
By Nick Jaynes  May 20 2013

[image
http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Honda-S2000.jpg
Honda S2000

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KcdTXbjWTYU
electric S2000 first test drive
Thin Mint  Feb 25, 2013
alllllright....
120v
36s A123 4p modules
Running at 500 battery amps, 300 motor amps
surprisingly torque-y. Even running at 1/20th of eventual power, car reached 35mph and could push you back into the seat.
]

If you’re anything like us, you’ve looked at a classic old jalopy at the junkyard and envisioned it as a ripping electric car. But after you get home and actually research what it’d take to make a running electric car from the rusty mess, you probably quickly forget the project (like we did).

However, [Juan Ehringer as] a Pennsylvania high school student, looked at a damaged, aging yellow Honda S2000 and had the audacity to take on a custom electric car build project.

Ehringeras got the S2000 home and tore out the standard drivetrain components. In their place he installed a homemade battery pack, a control unit he designed and built himself, two electric motors and a Ford 8.8 rearend.

If that weren’t impressive enough, the 686-kilo Watt system that Ehringeras compiled puts out 920 horsepower (782, factoring parasitic loss) and 1,500 pound-feet of torque – right from zero RPM.

Where does a high school student find the time for such a project?
“Well, I am finally a senior in high school, so in my off-time I do homework and work on this car. I also am a jetski enthusiast (stand up) and work at my business (Laser Werks). My business basically comprises of me designing things in CAD and cutting them on my laser,” Ehringeras said in a Motor Authority interview.

Ehringeras reports he is struggling with rear axle vibration and reliability issues from his self-made charging system. We hope this isn’t keeping him off the road, though.

As you can see in the video above, with an empty engine bay, most of the significant weight of the drivetrain has been removed from the front of the car. We’re a bit concerned that a car designed for completely different weight distribution would handle rather erratically with 700+ horsepower and a teenager at the wheel. But we tip our hats to Ehringeras for the ingenuity and creativity.  DT
[© 2013 Designtechnica]
http://www.evalbum.com/4088
Juan 's 2003 Honda S2000
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A86.Ju9Ubp9R1JYAHS6bvZx4?p=%22Juan+Ehringer%22
More on Juan Ehringer

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

Here are today's archive-only EV posts:

EVLN: $4k Elf, Commuting with a three-wheel covered Bike-EV
EVLN: Santa Clara County, CA requires buildings be pre-wired for EVSE
EVLN: A city council gets it really-wrong > time-shares busy EV spots w/ice
EVLN: Electrification of the "staycation" trip
+
EVLN: e2o EV revealed reports from individual's test drives

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: PA HS-student built a ripping Honda S2000 EV-conversion

rodhower
There wasn't much information in that article, but it did make me wonder what
this kid was actually building.
More detailed information can be found here,
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/975497-wait-that-isnt-an-f20c/

And here's some details he posted,
"Power is determined by voltage and amperage in the electric world.
The battery pack will consist of 416 cells with 4 cells in parallel and 104 in
series. Each cell has a nominal potential difference of 3.3v.

Therefore, the voltage of the traction pack = 104 * 3.3

V Pack= 343.2v

Current is determined by both the batteries as well as the controllers. The
batteries are 20ah A123 systems pouch cells that I bought from china . 4
parallel = 80ah units.

Each cell has a discharge multiplier of 20-30c, therefore each battery module (8
modules) should put out 1600-2400A.

However, my controller has a limit of 2000A, so this is the system bottleneck.
It can put out 2000A as long as you can keep it cool (liquid cooling).

P = I * V
P = 2000 * 343.2
P= 686400 w ----> 686.4 Kw

1 Kw = 1.341 hp

686.4 * 1.341 = 920 hp

Assume an 85% drive train efficiency

920 * .85 = 782 hp

On top of that, the motors can put out 1500 ft-lbs of torque at 0 rpm

So overall, the car has a potential of 700ish hp. I am assuming I will end up
getting anywhere from 550-650 at the wheels.

It should be fun

"