EVLN: Piëch Mark Zero GT EV released r:500km, 80%SOC:5min@L3

https://electrek.co/2019/03/04/electric-gt-piech-mark-zero-mysterious-battery/
All-electric GT unveiled with over 300 miles of range and 5-min charging
enabled by mysterious battery
Mar. 4th 2019  Fred Lambert

[images
https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/03/Pie%CC%88ch-Zero-electric-GT-3.jpg
more images of the Piëch Mark Zero released today:
Piëch Zero electric GT

https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/03/Pie%CC%88ch-Zero-electric-GT-1.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/03/Pie%CC%88ch-Zero-electric-GT-5.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/03/Pie%CC%88ch-Zero-electric-GT-6.jpg
]

Piëch Automotive, a new electric car startup launched by Toni Piëch, a
descendant of Volkswagen’s Ferdinand Piëch, is unveiling this week an
all-electric GT with over 300 miles of range and 5-minute charging enabled
by some mysterious new battery cells.

The Piëch Mark Zero is going to be unveiled in full at the Geneva Motor Show
tomorrow, but the company has released a bunch of images and specs ahead of
the show today.

Piëch said about the vehicle:

     “We have developed a sports car that we ourselves would like to buy,
and we talked for a long time to many enthusiasts about what was missing on
the market. We want to offer a modern classic that isn’t subject to consumer
cycles. The driver of this sports car should enjoy any minute they can spend
in the car.”

The company claims to have built the vehicle platform with a “flexible and
open vehicle architecture” to allow a variety of drive systems, “like
electric drive, hybrid, fuel cell or internal combustion engine.”

Yet, they are releasing the specs for an all-electric version based on some
mysterious battery cells that enable a “range of 500 km (311 mi) according
to WLTP cycle” and a “sensationally short charging time of only 4:40 minutes
to 80% battery capacity.”

Piëch didn’t release any details about how the battery cells achieve those
kinds of performance beyond claiming that the cells don’t heat up:

    “The special type of cell hardly heats up during charging or discharging
phases. Significantly higher currents can flow as the cell temperature rises
only marginally.”

The company says that the cells don’t require active cooling, which enables
the lower the weight of the battery pack. This keeps the total vehicle
weight under 1,800 kg (4,000 lbs), which is still fairly heavy for a vehicle
of that size.

As for the powertrain, Piëch says that the vehicle is equipped with 3
electric motors: the front axle, an asynchronous motor delivers 150 kW,
while at the rear axle, two synchronous motors produce 150 kW each.

They claim that it results in accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in
3.2 seconds and a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

Piëch says that they will announce a manufacturing partner later this year
to bring the vehicle to market and it will be followed by a four-seater and
a sporty SUV.

Electrek’s Take
Allow me to be a little skeptical here.

First off, you can’t claim to have some incredible new battery cell capable
of 5-minute charging without at least explaining what kind of cells they are
and how they enable such performance.

Secondly, if you have such cells, which would be a game changer, why make
your platform “flexible and open vehicle architecture” to allow a variety of
drive systems ... ?

An all-electric platform using these cells would outperform anything else.
[© electrek.co]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-son-of-a-Piech-Mark0-unknown-EV-Geneva-Motor-Show-tp4692942.html
EVLN: (son-of-a)Piëch Mark0 (unknown) EV @Geneva Motor Show
Feb 28 2019

+
https://electrek.co/2019/02/16/jaguar-i-pace-financing-deal/
Jaguar starts offering 0% financing on I-Pace to boost EV sales
Feb 16, 2019  The sales of the Jaguar I-Pace, the British automaker's first
all-electric vehicle, haven't been strong in the US, but the automaker is
now offering 0% financing on ...
https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/01/Jaguar-I-Pace-hero-e1547961480245.jpg