EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

brucedp5

Ford Focus Electric is a step in the right direction

[unformatted]
http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/articles/191575-2012-further-with-ford-focus-electric
2012 Further with Ford: Focus Electric
By John Scott Lewinski  Jul 03 2012

The new Ford Focus Electric is a step in the right direction, but EVs haven't arrived yet.

If I have any regular readers, I will need each of them to have a seat and take a deep breath. I’m about to speak highly of an electric car.

While I’m fully aware that I’ve had little good to say about most hybrids and electric vehicles in the past – with the notable exceptions of the Lexus 200h and the new Toyota C – I did a few track laps in a brand new 2013 Ford Focus Electric at the Ford Testing Facility during the recent Further with Ford technology conference in Dearborn, Mich. (I apologize for the overload of “Fords” in that last sentence.)

After playing some tournament golf in France a few weeks ago, I noted to my playing partner that the golf cart we were using to save our golf spikes some wear and tear excited me more than a majority of the hybrids and electrics I’d driven in the last couple of years. It didn’t generate much of a laugh from the environmentalist European journalist beside me, but it was the truth.

So, I almost passed on the chance to test drive the Focus Electric during the track day. I’d been bombarded with waves of hot evangelical environment testifyin’ the previous day, and that was more than enough. Like the greenhouse emissions they obviously fear above everything else, the gas that spews from preachy greenies’ mouths tends to linger in the atmosphere far too long. When I was presented with a chance to drive the Focus Electric at speed, I looked for a way to decline gracefully.

It became an, “Oh, what the hell, why not?” moment. You only live once – even in potentially boring electro-mobiles. So I hopped in with Le’Aura Luciano – a driving partner and fellow automotive journalist from New York City. We did a few laps around one of Ford’s shorter, road-simulation test tracks.

At $39,200, the new Ford Focus Electric packs one of the most expensive batteries in use by major automakers today. It is not a hybrid or any sort of gas-assisted electric vehicle. It’s entirely  motorized by Ma Edison.

Thinking I was being very ironic and clever, when I got the green flag from the track steward, I stood on the accelerator as hard as I possibly could – promising a burnout. Of course, that’s impossible with the gas-powered Focus, let along the electron-driven model.

But, I stayed on that accelerator as I aggressively took some corners – and unearthed some tire squeal. I never got that noise out of a Nissan Leaf. It cornered well, and it held all of the bells and whistles you’d find in a standard Ford Focus. In short, I enjoyed the ride.

Of course, as with any electric car, the snag is range. Ford lists the Focus Electric’s range at 76 miles. That makes the Focus Electric like every other electric vehicle – essentially a short trip, urban commuter ride.

So, at then of those 72, you have to plug the car into either a120 or 240 volt outlet. Then, 18-20 hours later, you have a car again. That means you’ll need to own another car or take public transport – which defeats the purpose of having an electric vehicle as your primary transportation.

That’s a problem every car company – not just Ford – are dealing with moving forward. According to the carmaker, you can buy a “fast charger” to juice the car in under four hours.

Obviously, we haven’t licked this EV problem entirely yet. But, the Ford Focus Electric looks to be a step in the right direction.
[© 2012 craveonline.com  All Rights Reserved]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
All EVLN posts, today's stealth-posted topics:

EVLN: Continental Conti.eContact LRR EV Tyres
EVent: Free EV-workshop 10a-1p 7/21/2012 Modesto, CA
EVLN: Autoliberté sez no Autolib = costly impact for Paris EV-share scheme
EVLN: Managing an EV pack's comfort zone, between 20-35°C
EVent: Karma pih @Tennessee Valley EV forum Mon 11a-1p & 5-7p 7/16/2012
+
EVLN: Mazda Demio EV leasing trials in Japan Oct 2012 ts:120km/h c:8h@3kW-L2

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

electruck
Bruce,

loved the write up on the Focus electric,  and the veiled references
to the  chevy joke  uhhhh Volt  (claiming that it's electric with a
range extender is too funny.)
It sounds like FoMoCo  does have a better idea
and the punch comparison with the Leaf  is a good little tidbit too..
I'm very glad to hear there's progress being made, but considering all
the factors, I'll stick to the planned S-10 conversion.

on a tangent to that decision -  I did some battery window shopping
today, at Interstate (all battery store.)
I'm pretty impressed with the specs on their  Pro ECL Series
floodies, as well as the pricing.  Fortunately, after trying some
experiments on squeezing some more life out of the Die Hard Deep
Cycles in that  Elec-Trak mower,  I may be able to make do with these
for another 3 or 4 months.

I found  a nice sounding '95  S-10 on craigslist  that's got engine
problems so the price is reasonable, and it has the bells and whistles
I'm lookin for too.  Power windows - locks etc.  and the pics of it
look nice, but he mentions thingz that are broken and some rust  that
doesn't show up in the pics. It being a goodly distance from me though
still qualifying as 'local'  I'll probably pass on it, and keep
looking for something  in a later year without so much broken stuff
mirrors 'glued back on'
Thanks to the input I've gotten from the nice folks in the discussion
list, I'm becoming a discerning shopper   :D   so thanks to all  !!

Stand

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Obviously, we haven’t licked this EV problem entirely yet. But, the Ford
> Focus Electric looks to be a step in the right direction.
> [© 2012 craveonline.com  All Rights Reserved]
>

> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
> All EVLN posts, today's stealth-posted topics:
>
> EVLN: Continental Conti.eContact LRR EV Tyres
> EVent: Free EV-workshop 10a-1p 7/21/2012 Modesto, CA
> EVLN: Autoliberté sez no Autolib = costly impact for Paris EV-share scheme
> EVLN: Managing an EV pack's comfort zone, between 20-35°C
> EVent: Karma pih @Tennessee Valley EV forum Mon 11a-1p & 5-7p 7/16/2012
> +
> EVLN: Mazda Demio EV leasing trials in Japan Oct 2012 ts:120km/h c:8h@3kW-L2
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

researcherau@bigpond.com
Hi all
This response really moved moved  me (actually  down the hall to the
smallest room in the house) I get so enfuriated when I read that range
extended vehicles are NOT ELECTRIC , outside of the cities 40mile range
is of no value and the range extended series connected ELECTRIC HYBRID
with a sensibly sized motor and battery pack will allow rural electric
vehicles to exist and allow us farmer types to reduce our carbon pawprint.
This attitude of the PURE electric vehicle is locking out a large (world
wide) community of potential low emission vehicles from being considered
by manufacturers by playing to the /range fear /media and not looking
for sensible and usable range extension units such as the Bradon Jets
that Jaguar have looked at , the Lotus range extender unit , the
Capstone turbine units which are only some of the practical answers to
creating vehicles not just for city slickers

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

researcherau@bigpond.com
Hi all
This response really moved moved  me (actually  down the hall to the
smallest room in the house) I get so infuriated when I read that range
extended vehicles are NOT ELECTRIC , outside of the cities 40mile range
is of no value and the range extended series connected ELECTRIC HYBRID
with a sensibly sized motor and battery pack will allow rural electric
vehicles to exist and allow us farmer types to reduce our carbon pawprint.
This attitude of the PURE electric vehicle is locking out a large (world
wide) community of potential low emission vehicles from being considered
by manufacturers by playing to the /range fear /media and not looking
for sensible and usable range extension units such as the Bradon Jets
that Jaguar have looked at , the Lotus range extender unit , the
Capstone turbine units which are only some of the practical answers to
creating vehicles not just for city slickers

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

gottdi
It is after all talking about ELECTRIC and NOT Hybrids. If you put gas in, its not electric, its a hybrid. Take it to the hybrid sites. Nothing wrong with ELECTRIC ONLY. I own a Leaf. If I need extended range I take my TDI.

Pretty simple.
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

salty9

What percentage of your transportation needs does the Leaf fill?

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

gottdi
Salty,

salty9 wrote
What percentage of your transportation needs does the Leaf fill?
My Leaf fills about 94% or so of my transportation needs. I purchased it for my commuter car and so far to date I have nearly 14,000 miles logged in just over a year. I purchased it a year ago last month. I put an average of 45 miles per day on my vehicle. Some more. Only a few days with less miles per month. On occasion I need to drive outside my zone but we have a TDI to fill those needs when they arise. We are picking up a Diesel Truck for our towing needs. Chances of going 100% electric will be nearly zero but I am building two conversions right now. I am a fan of conversions as well as a fan of buying factory. I'd love a Tesla S.

Pete :)
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

researcherau@bigpond.com
Your comments support what I have said your are a hybrid driver you just
do it across two vehicles but a large area of the world do not have that
luxury , in my case (and this is common in this area) we have only one
non farm vehicle and a 54 mile weekly drive to shop over 10% to12% hills
and your Leaf would barely get out my driveway so to go /electric power
driving/ a series connected electric hybrid (PISH) is vital but also the
torque pattern of an electric powered vehicle is ideal for navigating
winding hilly roads as long as your (or the manufacturer) do the maths
properly first and supply a high enough torque motor and large enough
battery pack

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

Sean Korb
I don't think all cars have to do all things.  There are city zones,
extended city zones and rural zones.  Since most of the cars are in
city and extended city zones, electric can service many of those
transportation needs now.  And since most personal vehicles are in
those zones, that can have some impact.  For a two car family, one gas
and one electric seems like it would provide for all needs. Rural
vehicles will need to wait a bit longer for power technology to catch
up, maybe a lot longer. On a farm you need hours of use, not distance.
 That's a tall order too.

But this list is really for studying, building and celebrating electrics.

sean

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM, researcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your comments support what I have said your are a hybrid driver you just
> do it across two vehicles but a large area of the world do not have that
> luxury , in my case (and this is common in this area) we have only one
> non farm vehicle and a 54 mile weekly drive to shop over 10% to12% hills
> and your Leaf would barely get out my driveway so to go /electric power
> driving/ a series connected electric hybrid (PISH) is vital but also the
> torque pattern of an electric powered vehicle is ideal for navigating
> winding hilly roads as long as your (or the manufacturer) do the maths
> properly first and supply a high enough torque motor and large enough
> battery pack

Sean Korb [hidden email] http://www.spkorb.org
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

EVDL Administrator
On 12 Jul 2012 at 23:25, Sean Korb wrote:

> I don't think all cars have to do all things ... most of the cars are
> in city and extended city zones, electric can service many of those
> transportation needs now.  ... Rural vehicles will need to wait a bit
> longer ... this list is really for studying, building and celebrating
> electrics.

Well said.  As the EVDL charter says, we're not here to "discuss either EV
appropriateness or comparisons with other transportation primary drive modes
such as the venerable internal combustion engine."  Most of us recognize
that ICEVs have their place, so I don't see any particular need to defend
them. Nor does anyone who uses them need to defend himself.

Each of us chooses transporation based on his or her needs.  If we on the
EVDL can find a way for an EV to help meet some of those needs in an
affordable way, great!  In the case of a person on a farm, that might be a
tractor or a burden carrier for doing certain limited chores.  It might be a
golf car, NEV, or converted ATV for daily trips to and from the barn.

But if we can't help "Researcher" or any other particular person with an EV,
well, so it goes.  EVs have plenty of other places where they can provide
useful service.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: EVLN: Reluctant "Oh, what the hell, why not?" praise

gottdi
Actually many have more than one vehicle. I happen to now drive mostly electric so for me it is meaningless to haul around a gas engine and tank of fuel when I am not needing it. Why? That is just wrong on all fronts. Most of the driving that people do is to go to work and back. As a commuter I'd hate to haul around a gas engine and tank of fuel only to know I don't need it. Just add extra cells instead of the engine and fuel tank. Since I do have more than one vehicle it works with an all electric car. My fuel burners rarely get used now. Even have to keep the battery charged because of disuse. The comment that I am a hybrid drive is totally wrong. A hybrid hauls around a gas engine and fuel tank and electric motor and batteries in one vehicle. I am an EV driver and ICE driver. Mostly now an EV driver. I truly don't miss the gas station.