EVLN: Taga Cargo e-trike =minivan of the e-bike world (v)

EVLN: Taga Cargo e-trike =minivan of the e-bike world (v)

https://electrek.co/2019/11/07/review-taga-2-0-family-electric-cargo-bike-tricycle/
Review: Taga family electric cargo bike is the ultimate kid-hauling e-bike
Nov. 7th 2019  Micah Toll

[images
https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga-header.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga_family_cargo_electric_19.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga_family_cargo_electric_27.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga_family_cargo_electric_21.jpg
 e-motor

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga-bike-gif.gif
 (animated gif)

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga_family_cargo_electric_22.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/taga_family_cargo_electric_13.jpg
 (covered)  Testing out the Royal Canopy accessory

video
https://youtu.be/xff_oGWsJwY
Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike video review
]

Just when I thought I’d ridden nearly every type of electric bicycle out
there, along comes the Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike. Not only does it
have a giant front trunk (an e-bike with a frunk?), but it also has two
kids’ seats to carry the family around.

I’d say that the Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike is like the minivan or SUV
of the electric bicycle world.

Or perhaps the electric tricycle world, since the Taga’s three wheels
technically make it a trike.

But this is perhaps the most fun I’ve ever had on a tricycle, and the kids
seemed to have a pretty good time riding it, too.

Make sure you check out the video review ... to see this thing in action as
a cargo bike and a multi-child hauler. Then read on for my full review!

And stick around until the end, where I’ll show you how to get this Taga
bike for 50% off!  [***]

Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike tech specs
Motor: 250 W rear hub motor (definitely feels like more than 250 W)
Top speed: 25 km/h (15.5 mph)
Range: 32-45 km (20-28 mi) with pedal assist
Battery: 36V 13Ah (468 Wh) with Samsung cells
Charge time: 6-7 hours
Bike weight with electric kit: 26 kg (57 lb)
Basket Weight: 5 kg (11 lb)
Seat Weight: 3 kg (7 lb)
Max load: 159 kg (350 lb)
Frame: Steel
Brakes: ProMax mechanical disc brakes (on all three wheels) with parking
brake
Extras: Pedal assist and throttle activation, LCD display, Soooo many
accessories including LED lights, sun and rain canopies, upgraded seat
padding, giant cargo basket, water gun, H-bar grip for kids, stroller seat,
fenders, and more…

The full Taga experience
The Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike is a solidly made, fun-to-ride bike. But
to really get the full experience, you’ll have to start off with a few hours
of assembly before you get to have any fun.

Taga does a pretty decent job of providing both written and schematic
drawing instructions, but it’s still a bit of an undertaking to get it all
together. I’d recommend setting aside a good two hours for the whole thing,
at a minimum. It’s a Sunday afternoon type of project.

But once you get it all put together, the bike is a blast!

I outfitted mine with a pair of seats, which is the Duo option on the Taga
site. The seats are rated for kids up to around 8 years old, so I got to
take my 5- and 7-year-old nephews for quite a ride.

The 250 W motor feels more like a 500 W motor with a 250 W sticker on it

Even when loaded down with kids, the Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike has
plenty of power and acceleration.

The kids were fairly comfortable in the seats, though we did find that their
knees were a bit close to one another. That’s probably because I had them in
the center facing position. It’s also possible to put both seats facing
forwards, but the boys had fun laughing and playing while being able to see
each other, and preferred sitting face-to-face.

There is also an H-bar accessory that I received that gives the kids a hand
bar to hold onto. However, it mounts right where the kid’s knees are and ate
into the valuable knee room, so we didn’t use it too often. The H-bar
definitely works better in the two-seats-forward position.

We also got a water gun that mounts on the H-bar, though that got nixed
early on due to fears of the boys fighting over whose turn it was to shoot
each other point-blank in the face. I was prepared to allow it, but my
sister (their mother) had veto power there. The water gun attachment is
probably best for when you’re carrying just one kid, in order to avoid
friendly-fire casualties.

In terms of the ride, the bike felt solid as a rock on straightaways. In
turns it was still quite good, but I found that you have to be careful about
going into turns too fast. That’s true of any tricycle, though the tadpole
configuration (two forward wheels) of the Taga is actually more stable than
the delta configuration (two rear wheels) of tricycles from your childhood.
As long as I didn’t try to make a quick turn at full speed, I was fine. And
in fact, the Taga felt even more stable when I had the kids in it, as their
added weight seemed to help.

When it was just me, I could lift up one wheel when taking turns too
sharply. That was actually fun, and I found I could ride around on two
wheels with the third up in the air waving hello like an Orca fin in a
SeaWorld show. Don’t try that with kids in it, though — I don’t think you’re
supposed to do stunts on this bike.

The brakes also felt strong and responsive. With three disc brakes, you
should be able to stop with confidence even while hauling heavy loads.
There’s also a parking brake built into the left brake lever, which is
actually super convenient. Unlike a standard bike on a kickstand, the Taga
rests on three rolling wheels and can get away from you if parked on an
incline without engaging the parking brake.

The Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike doubles as a cargo bike in addition to
just kid carrier.

It has a huge capacity soft-sided cargo carrier upfront with a beautiful
wooden base to securely hold whatever you’re hauling. I don’t think you’re
supposed to do this, but I could stand up in it and it felt totally stable.

The capacity of the cargo area is huge, and you could absolutely fit a
week’s worth of groceries in there. You can also go with the single-seat
version of the bike and be able to haul cargo and a kid at the same time.

Theoretically, you could put some cargo in there with two kids on board, but
their feet hang down into the cargo area, so you’d really be cutting into
your volume capacity.

The battery on the Taga is removable, which is good because this would be a
big bike to bring inside to charge. If you have a garage to park in then
you’ll probably never need to remove the battery, since you can just charge
it on the bike. But if you’re in an apartment, parking in a bicycle room, or
otherwise need to charge the battery away from the bike, you’ve got that
option.

The bike can also be disassembled to fit into a trunk. It breaks down into a
few large, flat pieces. I wouldn’t call the process simple or quick, but
it’s definitely doable.

I’ve tried different cargo bikes before as kid carriers and they all work to
a certain extent. But the design of the Taga trike is a game-changer in
terms of stability and comfort. Kids aren’t straddling a saddle — they’re
buckled into comfortable and adjustable seats. And you don’t have to worry
about the bike tipping over since it is inherently stable.

The whole thing just blew me away and reinforced the idea of how easy it is
becoming for e-bikes to become true car replacers.

When you can practically run a kiddie carpool with your e-bike, you’re doing
something right!

Testing out the Royal Canopy accessory

If you want to check out the Taga Family Electric Cargo Bike, head on over
to their site. The models range from around $3,300 to $3,900 depending on
the accessory package. I definitely recommend adding the fenders, but I also
really like the royal canopy option, especially if you live in a rainy area.
And if you don’t mind providing all of the pedal power yourself, there’s
also non-electric versions in the $1,500 to $1,900 range.

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! Sorry for yelling, but check out this deal. We take
care of our Electrek readers and try to get you guys discounts when we can.
The kind folks at Taga have generously agreed to offer their bikes at 50%
off and the accessories at 25% off if you use the code ELECTREKTAGA at
checkout. But it’s only good until the end of this month, so don’t wait too
long!
[© electrek.co]

+
Kerala.in only registering e-rickshaws(e-tuks)> no ice-versions
https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/kerala/kerala-to-register-only-electric-autos-from-now-on-1.4241162
Kerala to register only electric autos from now on
Oct 31, 2019  Kollam: The state government has decided to give registrations
only to electric autorickshaws from now on. The new electric ...
https://english.mathrubhumi.com/polopoly_fs/1.2236696.1572490360!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_894_577/image.jpg
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=Kerala+solar&days=0
 search evdl on  Kerala solar

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/

Re: EVLN: Taga Cargo e-trike =minivan of the e-bike world (v)

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 11:54 PM, brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://electrek.co/2019/11/07/review-taga-2-0-family-electric-cargo-bike-tricycle/
> Review: Taga family electric cargo bike is the ultimate kid-hauling e-bike

We got one of these when they first came out.  Like all non-carving trikes, it’s very tippy on corners and on the sides of crowned roads.  Which is a bit worrisome for something you’re hauling your kids around in. It was certainly better than some of the previous kid-hauling trikes we’d tried.

We’ve since switched to a Tern GSD (two wheels, kids in back) which we’re very very happy with; it’s a much more practical solution.

There are also much better carving cargo trikes, notably the ones from Butchers & Bicycles, which we’d probably use, but they’re very expensive and very heavy.  Babboe and Veleon also have carving cargo trikes.

                                -Bill