EVLN: Tesla-X crash highlights its 5-star safety rating (v)

EVLN: Tesla-X crash highlights its 5-star safety rating (v)

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-x-crash-5-star-safety-rating/
This Tesla Model X accident highlights the vehicle’s 5-star safety rating
December 27, 2017  Simon Alvarez

[image
https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/tesla-model-x-accident-air-bag-safety.jpg

video
https://youtu.be/IN5NX0MQrpQ
Tesla Model X Crash Aftermath!
]

Tesla takes pride in the Model X’s stellar safety ratings from the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which awarded a full 5-star
crash rating for all categories and subcategories of the electric SUV. These
excellent safety scores were put to the test recently, when a Tesla Model X
75D got involved in a serious crash in Dayton, Ohio.

The aftermath of a Model X 75D accident was shared by Jordan Hart, a Tesla
enthusiast and owner of YouTube’s Driving The Future channel. According to
Hart, a small sedan ran a red light in front of his wife’s Model X 75D,
which was traveling at about 55 mph. The accident resulted in a collision
that damaged the electric SUV’s front left side.

The impact from the accident completely ripped off the Model X 75D’s left
headlight and a large chunk of its bumper, exposing the internals of the
vehicle. The hood of the heavyweight SUV was also bent out of shape.

Despite the significant impact, however, the Tesla was able to protect
Hart’s wife by cocooning her in the safety of Model X 75D’s twelve airbags.
We saw a similar occurrence last year when a Tesla Model X saved the life of
an entire family and their pet after it was involved in a horrific traffic
accident at an intersection. “I waited 4 years for this one and would wait 4
more if that is what it took to protect my family like this.” said the
driver of the Model X at the time.

In a statement to Teslarati, Hart stated that immediately after the
collision, his wife was able to drive the Model X 75D to the side of the
road. She was also able to exit the vehicle without any issues as well. The
electric SUV then sent a message about the accident to Tesla, which
immediately reached out to his wife.

Hart further stated that he was able to utilize his smartphone’s Tesla app
to navigate directly to his wife and her Model X 75D’s location. He and his
spouse were then informed of the nearest shop where the electric SUV could
be towed to. The shop also gave Hart and his wife a quote for the Model X
75D’s repairs.

The quote for the Model X 75D’s repairs as a result of the accident was
estimated to be $40,000. While not specifically stated by Hart, the steep
bill might be due to the Model X’s all-aluminum panels, many of which need
to be replaced entirely.

While unfortunate, the recent accident involving a Model X 75D seems to
validate the NHTSA’s safety ratings for the electric SUV. Due to the
vehicle’s weight and low center of gravity, the Model X was able to absorb
the impact from the violent collision without rolling over.

During its announcement of the Model X’s 5-star safety rating, Tesla
estimated that passengers of the electric SUV have a 93 percent probability
of walking away from a crash without any serious injury. Looking at the
aftermath of the recent Model X accident, it appears that Tesla’s estimate
is quite accurate.

Jordan Hart runs Driving the Future, a YouTube channel dedicated to Tesla
and its vehicles. Just last summer, Hart set a cross country record in a
Model S 85D, traveling from Los Angeles to New York in 51 hours and 47
minutes. The feat was done in order to raise awareness to the human
trafficking trade. According to Hart, his cross country Model S run,
together with his wife’s recent Model X accident, just proved how reliable
and safe the carmaker’s vehicles really are.

    “The record run proved to me how reliable Teslas are. This unfortunate
incident has proven to me how safe they are. I intend to never let my wife
drive anything else.”
[© teslarati.com]

+
https://interestingengineering.com/shenzhen-shows-off-its-new-fleet-of-more-than-16000-electric-buses
Shenzhen Shows off Its New Fleet of More Than 16000 Electric Buses (v)
January, 01st 2018  Electric transportation is becoming a staple of this
decade and will impact the way we travel for years. An electric vehicle is
no longer just a novelty reserved for the eccentric. Thanks to efforts made
by the likes of Elon Musk, and his Tesla team, the world of vehicles is far
more accessible and efficient for businesses and ...
https://youtu.be/sLo3Pn4KC3w

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/mingo-man-invents-truck-that-makes-emergency-electricity/article_6beeac61-c5a4-5d9f-8b60-712e8d66ca20.html
Mingo man invents truck that makes emergency electricity
1/3/2018  Daniel Hicks, of Red Jacket, W.Va., shows off a truck he invented
that can generate electricity and sustain itself with renewable energy ...
gets a charge from wind turbines while driving and energy collection from
solar panels on its roof ... the real power comes from Hicks' innovation of
collecting and storing hydrogen gas. The gas is emitted from the charging
batteries, and that powers a hydrogen generator, he explained. After at
least three charging cycles, he said, the truck can power up to 480 volts
... has met with representatives from Tesla ...
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/herald-dispatch.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/3e/a3e286b5-7a16-50cb-be11-cbee1c0796f8/5a4c419b1689e.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C900