EVLN: Tesla drops cheapest models &cuts prices (v)

EVLN: Tesla drops cheapest models &cuts prices (v)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-prices/tesla-drops-cheapest-model-x-s-variants-cuts-prices-to-simplify-lineup-idUSKCN1UB055
Tesla drops cheapest Model X, S variants, cuts prices to simplify lineup
July 15, 2019  Yilei Sun, Norihiko Shirouzu

[video
https://www.reuters.com/video/?videoId=OVAO1A83V&jwsource=cl
]

BEIJING (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has dropped the standard-range
variants of its Model X and Model S from its product lineup and adjusted
prices across its range, in a sales push that comes days after the U.S.
electric vehicle maker reported record deliveries.

To simplify its offerings, the automaker on Tuesday limited variants of its
Model X sport-utility vehicle and Model S sedan to “Long Range” and the more
expensive “Performance”. It also trimmed the price of its now entry-level
Long Range variants.

The discontinuation of the standard-range variants, however, means a rise in
starting prices - to $84,990 for the Model X and $79,990 for the Model S,
excluding potential buying incentives.

Tesla also lowered the starting price of its mass-market Model 3 to $38,990.

“To make purchasing our vehicles even simpler, we are standardizing our
global vehicle lineup and streamlining the number of trim packages offered
for Model S, Model X and Model 3,” Tesla said in a statement.

“We are also adjusting our pricing in order to continue to improve
affordability for customers.”

Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk tweeted on Tuesday that the price of
Tesla's full self-driving option is "increasing by ~$1000 on August 16".
(bit.ly/2XUsmhc)

The company has often adjusted price of its forthcoming self-driving
features and pushed owners to buy them before delivery.

Tesla’s shares were down 1% at $250.92 in afternoon trading.

Earlier this month, Tesla said global deliveries of its three models in the
second quarter of this year rose 51% from the previous quarter to a record
95,200 vehicles. The Model 3 accounted for about 80% of the total,
underscoring the vehicle’s role as the linchpin of Tesla’s growth strategy.

The automaker said it expected production and deliveries to continue growing
in the third quarter.

In China, the world’s largest market for electric vehicles, Tesla’s changes
on Tuesday pushed up the starting price of its Model X to 790,900 yuan
($115,068) and Model S to 776,900 yuan.

Tesla is building a factory in Shanghai where it initially plans to build
Model 3 cars. It is taking orders for those China-made versions, which have
a starting price of 328,000 yuan.

Reporting by Yilei Sun and Norihiko Shirouzu in Beijing; Additional
reporting by Vibhuti Sharma in Bengaluru and Alexandria Sage in San
Francisco; Editing by Christopher Cushing and Shounak Dasgupta
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
[© reuters.com]

+
https://electrek.co/2019/07/19/tesla-updates-map-supercharger-stations/
Tesla updates map of upcoming Supercharger stations – showing where it’s
going next
Jul. 19th 2019  Tesla has updated its map of upcoming Supercharger stations
around the world – showing where the automaker is going next ...
https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/07/Tesla-Supercharger-map-2019.jpg

Re: EVLN: Tesla drops cheapest models &cuts prices (v)

On 21 Jul 2019 at 8:35, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Tesla also lowered the starting price of its mass-market Model 3 to $38,990

Uh ... so what  happened to that $30k electric car we heard Musk talk about
for all those years?  It seems to have tipped off the road into the same
ditch as the electric Chevette that GM promised us in 1978.

Re: EVLN: Tesla drops cheapest models &cuts prices (v)

Dave,

You seem to have a strong urge to rag on Tesla and Musk whenever you can.
That seems unwarranted. They have done a lot in an incredibly difficult
industrial environment, working at something no one believed possible, and
actually have a lot of success, though they may yet fail. We will all
benefit from their efforts. They tried to implement new ideas that were
worth trying.  Musk and all the engineers and other employees deserve
praise, regardless if Musk acts stupid at times. Maybe you don't like the
PT Barnum stuff, but that too was helpful and perhaps necessary.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM EVDL Administrator via EV <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2019 at 8:35, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
>
> > Tesla also lowered the starting price of its mass-market Model 3 to
> $38,990
>
> Uh ... so what  happened to that $30k electric car we heard Musk talk
> about
> for all those years?  It seems to have tipped off the road into the same
> ditch as the electric Chevette that GM promised us in 1978.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land
(919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
(919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
Google Phone and Text

Re: EVLN: Tesla drops cheapest models &cuts prices (v)

I can't find ANY reference to Elon Musk talking about a $30,000 car.
He did promise a $35,000 car in his Q2 2013 earnings call (
https://seekingalpha.com/article/1616182-tesla-motors-ceo-discusses-q2-2013-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single
 )
So using an inflation calculator ( https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ )
a car costing $35,000 in 2013 would cost $37,869.21 today, thanks to
inflation.
Add on import tariffs recently introduced in the US, and you are almost
exactly at $39,000.

GM were the ones touting the $30,000 car (Their Bolt EV), which has a
current sticker price of $37,495. So again, quite a distance from their
initial promise.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 at 20:21, EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2019 at 8:35, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
>
> > Tesla also lowered the starting price of its mass-market Model 3 to
> $38,990
>
> Uh ... so what  happened to that $30k electric car we heard Musk talk
> about
> for all those years?  It seems to have tipped off the road into the same
> ditch as the electric Chevette that GM promised us in 1978.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

On 21 Jul 2019 at 22:26, Robert Johnston via EV wrote:

> I can't find ANY reference to Elon Musk talking about a $30,000 car.
> He did promise a $35,000 car in his Q2 2013 earnings call... a
> car costing $35,000 in 2013 would cost $37,869.21 today

I can't find the $30k reference now either, so maybe that was just wishful
thinking, or maybe I did confuse the GM claim with Tesla's.   I stand
corrected.

Re: EVLN: Tesla drops cheapest models &cuts prices (v)

I agree with Michael, Elon is the only billionaire putting his money where
his mouth is. He is been so close several times of loosing his fortune for
what? for doing all us a favor of bringing electrification and not
dependency on oil, to have better and more solar, to have energy storage
systems at home and help reduce the oversized world wide grid (that is all
designed based on peak demand, not continuous demand), a person who is
looking to create a backup of our own species in case of a catastrophe in
our world.. what else?  putting more of his money and ideas into trying to
solve big cities mobility thanks to The boring Co. and latest, improve the
human life and ability to easy access/boost the power of internet through
Neuralik.

Who else (Billionaire, extremely smart, visionary and truly committed) is
pushing this in our world? bill gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg?, can't mention
any car company CEO that would do that, they all are just looking for $$
not a real change for our society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcgBfi4xxo