EVLN: Tesla fulfils a dying man's bucket list item> delivers his Model 3 early

EVLN: Tesla fulfils a dying man's bucket list item> delivers his Model 3 early

https://electrek.co/2017/12/13/tesla-model-3-bucket-list-dying-man/
Tesla fulfils bucket list of dying man by delivering his Model 3 early
Dec. 13th 2017  Fred Lambert

[images
https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/screen-shot-2017-12-13-at-7-33-39-pm-e1513211688676.jpg

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/download-14.jpeg
pictures of the vehicle (credit to Bonnie Norman – reprinted with
permission)

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/download-15.jpeg

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/download-17.jpeg

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/download-18.jpeg
]

As we reported earlier today, Tesla is definitely ramping up Model 3
deliveries this week, but most of those vehicles are still in the hands of
Tesla and SpaceX employees and their relatives.

Only a few regular reservation holders are now taking delivery and it’s a
big deal for most of those early adopters, but even more so for a man with
stage 4 terminal cancer whose dying wish was apparently to get his own Model
3.

As the first relatively affordable and mass-produced electric vehicle, the
Model 3 is important for a lot of EV enthusiasts.

Important enough to be on your bucket list?

It is important enough for a TMC member going by ‘Graniteds’. He wrote on
the forum last month:

    “Well, I’d love to see November deliveries! i have a terminal stage 4
cancer and have been told I may only 3-4 months to live. The last thing on
my bucket list is our Model 3 and I’d like to have a few days to experience
and enjoy it. I wonder if there is any flexibility in the que?”

With production being still limited, there’s not that much flexibility in
the queue. Even the earliest reservation holders have December to February
delivery windows, which would require him to defy his prognostic.

But another forum member, Bonnie Norman, reached out to the man to offer him
the possibility to at least try the Model 3 if he doesn’t make it to a
delivery.

Bonnie wrote on Twitter:
[share
https://twitter.com/bonnienorman/status/941083530423017472/photo/1
     Bonnie Norman @bonnienorman
    So I have a special story to tell about this #TeslaModel3 delivery - now
have permission - will post when thru airport security

    Bonnie Norman @bonnienorman
    3) I asked @DevinaKSingh, a friend who works for Tesla & owns a Model 3,
if she'd show off her car so he could experience it at least. On 11/25, she
was at his house, insisting he drive the car hard. (Check the Tesla grin.)
pic.twitter.com/5mIEQs1Hle
    3:12 PM - Dec 13, 2017
]

After the test drive, Bonnie reached out to Tesla to see if there’s a chance
he could take delivery sooner. That was on the November 26, 5 days after
Tesla sent out the first batch of invitations to configure the Model 3 for
regular reservation holders.

Norman says that Tesla ended up sending him an invite the next day.

Today, he took delivery at Tesla’s Fremont [CA] delivery center and received
a VIP treatment from the automaker:

[share
https://twitter.com/bonnienorman/status/941085173679931392/photo/1
     Bonnie Norman @bonnienorman
    Replying to @bonnienorman
    6) Private factory tour, intros around, everyone grinning to be part of
this. No one from Tesla looking to publicize, everyone involved with the
purest of intentions.

    Bonnie Norman @bonnienorman
    7) Oh! And he and his wife have their new Model 3. Lots of tears around.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. My heart is full. Thanks everyone @Tesla.
Thanks especially to @DevinaKSingh and @jonmcneill . We make an awesome
team. pic.twitter.com/QChhxKX8hV
    3:19 PM - Dec 13, 2017
]

He got his own walk-through with Jon McNeil, Tesla President of Sales and
Services, as well as a private factory tour.

According to Bonnie, Tesla is definitely ramping up Model 3 deliveries.

Kudos to Bonnie Norman, Tesla, and everyone involved for pulling this off.
It’s a heart warming thing to see on a general human level, but also just
for the show of passion for an electric vehicle.
[© electrek.co]

Re: EVLN: Tesla fulfils a dying man's bucket list item> delivers his Model 3 early

On 23 Dec 2017 at 0:16, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> As the first relatively affordable and mass-produced electric vehicle, the
> Model 3 is important for a lot of EV enthusiasts.

This has to be an error.  Surely this author "Fred Lambert" knows about the
Nissan Leaf?  The Citicar and Comuta-car?

Or maybe not.  He doesn't even know how to spell "queue."

Whatever.  I hope Santa brings you the EV of your dreams this year, or at
least some useful EV parts.  :-)

Re: EVLN: Tesla fulfils a dying man's bucket list item> delivers his Model 3 early

Well, it's not a dying wish, but I just had an offer which was really
tempting. A young friend who has been asking me EV questions for a while
called and asked if I would like to drive him and his two children to the
San Francisco airport tonight in his brand new Tesla X 100D. I have not
even ridden in any Tesla, snd, yews, I would love to have that experience,
but it was not that difficult for me to honestly tell ;him that I would not
trust my driving abilities at night in the kinds of traffic I would expect
in his new $100K+ EV. He said he appreciates my honesty and will make sure
I have an opportunity to drive it in the New Year.
Thank you to all of you on the EVDL for your stories and help through the
years.
I'm still a newbie for some of you  real pioneers, but this year is my 18th
of driving electric thanks to this worldwide community.
Blessings of Peace & Joy!
Michael B