EVLN: Unhappy Leaf'rs.uk misled> Nissan sez:rtfm r:unrealistic c:erratic

EVLN: Unhappy Leaf'rs.uk misled> Nissan sez:rtfm r:unrealistic c:erratic

% Never believe NEDC: quoted 235mi range is actually 155/108 %

http://www.mo4ch.com/2018/06/30/electric-car-buyers-claim-they-were-misled-by-nissan/
Electric car buyers claim they were misled by Nissan
29 June 2018  Brian Milligan  bbc business

[images
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/17DA/production/_102260160_0f741288-bcb6-45e5-bd87-95a95c1cfc21.png
John Weatherley with his Nissan Leaf  / AFP

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/socialembed/https://twitter.com/GettinTwitta/status/1009854291379740672~/news/business-44575399
/ @GettinTwitta

share
https://twitter.com/GettinTwitta/status/1009854291379740672
]

John Weatherley says Nissan exaggerated the facts about the Leaf

Owners of Nissan’s new electric Leaf say they were given misleading
information about the car before buying it.

They say charging the Leaf can take three times longer than claimed on
Nissan’s website.

Others are unhappy that the range on a single charge is not as good as the
235 miles they were promised.

Nissan admitted that charging times can vary, but denied there was a problem
or that any customers were misled.

The Advertising Standards Authority is now considering whether to launch an
investigation into the issue.

Charging time

As many as 2,600 new Leafs have been sold in the UK, and it was named
Electric Car of the Year for 2018 by What Car? magazine.

But drivers attempting longer journeys in the Leaf have found themselves
spending up to two and a half hours at motorway service stations to
recharge.

Last year Nissan said charging should take 40 minutes, depending on
conditions

Last year, Nissan told prospective buyers that using so-called rapid [L3]
chargers should only take 40 minutes “in moderate driving conditions” for an
80% charge. They subsequently changed that to between 40 and 60 minutes.

There appears to be no problem with the first two charges on any given day –
one at home, and then the first rapid {L3} charge en route.

It is only when drivers come to charge for the third time – or the second
rapid charge – that some have said they face long waits. Potentially, that
could affect any journey of more than 250 miles.

John Weatherley, a company director from the Forest of Dean, loves his
Nissan Leaf.

But when he made a 300 mile journey to the Lake District, he found himself
waiting for a total of two-and-a-half hours when he stopped to charge for a
second time.

“If Nissan at the start had said what the car is capable of, without
exaggerating the fact on their website, I’d have been fine with it,” he told
the BBC.

“They said they could charge in 40 to 60 minutes, so I believed them. But
it’s not true. The advertising is totally misleading.”

When Mr Weatherley wrote to Nissan to complain, he was told that rapid
charging was only intended for use once in a journey – something many buyers
may be unaware of.

Mr Weatherley’s dashboard, indicating two hours still to wait

Nissan also told the BBC that charging can take longer than advertised,
depending on conditions.

“External ambient temperature, the type of driving you’ve been doing
beforehand, and the heat you put into the battery if you’ve been doing
successive charges can impact the timing,” said Gareth Dunsmore, director of
electric vehicles for Nissan Europe.

He said the battery automatically slows a charge, to preserve its longevity,
and to act as a safety mechanism when it [the pack] gets too hot.

“We make this clear in the owner’s manual,” said Mr Dunsmore.

In some instances it can also be the charger itself that is to blame, he
said.

‘Misled twice’

Tony Pitcairn, from Ilkley in West Yorkshire, had problems on a 290 mile
drive to Somerset.

He and his wife spent 90 minutes at a motorway services in Gloucestershire.

Tony Pitcairn says the estimated range was unrealistic

But Mr Pitcairn was also disappointed by the range of the new Leaf, which he
bought specifically for long journeys.

His marketing brochure claimed the car could do 235 miles on a single
charge.

But having bought the car, he found the range was actually 155 miles.

“That was a disappointment to start with,” he said.

“So we have, in my mind, been misled twice, because the claimed range on a
full charge is not 235 miles. Secondly, nowhere does it say that you will
only be able to rapid charge in 40 minutes only once.”

When journalists from  What Car?  tested the new Leaf, they found a “real
world” range of just 108 miles.

Orders cancelled

Nissan said the original claim of 235 miles was correct under an official
means of measurement known as the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC).

However, as carmakers have moved to a different measure – known as the
Worldwide harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) – the range is now
officially 168 miles.

Mr Dunsmore advised any upset customers to get in contact: “Come and speak
to us if there’s anything you’re not happy with.”

Meanwhile, a number of customers have cancelled their orders.

Report

Twitter post by @GettinTwitta: I was one of the first to hear of this, so I
put my order for a new 40kWh Leaf on hold and got a 24hr test drive. I took
it on one of my semi-regular longer routes and was shocked by how awful the
problem was. Order cancelled and 2nd hand 30kWh Leaf bought.Image Copyright
@GettinTwitta

Report

Matt Beard, from Aberdeenshire, did so after taking a test drive. Eventually
he bought the older model Leaf instead, which has a less powerful battery,
but fewer problems when charging. In a tweet, he said he was shocked at how
bad the problem was.

Others are unhappy with the response from Nissan.

Jonathan Porterfield, of eco-cars.net, who regularly drives electric cars
from Leicester to Orkney, was the first to report the issue.

“I don’t want this episode to knock Nissan, but at the same time they need
to sit up and take notice,” he said.

“Just telling people you’ve got to wait longer at a rapid charger – it’s not
good enough.”
[© mo4ch.com]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM
RTFM

+
http://design.automotive-business-review.com/news/leclanch-to-form-jv-with-exide-to-produce-lithium-ion-batteries-for-ev-market-india-290618-6226242
Exide, Leclanché form JV to build lithium-ion batteries for EV market India
29 June 2018  As a result of this unique combination, the JV is ideally
positioned to be a leading provider of storage solutions for electric
vehicles and energy storage ...