EVLN: Vaya offering PV-charged Leaf EVs in Zimbabwe, S.Africa

EVLN: Vaya offering PV-charged Leaf EVs in Zimbabwe, S.Africa

https://www.techzim.co.zw/2019/11/the-electric-cars-that-were-promised-by-vaya-are-here-now/
The Electric Cars That Were Promised By Vaya Are Here Now
21 Nov 2019  Farai Mudzingwa

[image
https://t3n9sm.c2.acecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/vayanissanleafcover.jpg
 Vaya leaf EV  Image Source: Vaya Africa

share
https://twitter.com/VayaAfrica/status/1197150579585409026
Vaya Africa @VayaAfrica
We are excited to introduce #VAYA E-Vehicles as part of our agenda for the
adoption of #ecofriendly vehicles in #Zimbabwe. The service was launched
today in partnership with @stewardbank
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJ0iGDWWkAEHpmr.jpg
5:51 AM - 20 Nov 2019
]

A few months ago, Econet Global CEO Strive Masiyiwa announced that Vaya
would start using Electric Vehicles (EVs) and it seems those electric
vehicles are finally here.

Vaya tweeted out an announcement earlier yesterday:

We are excited to introduce #VAYA E-Vehicles as part of our agenda for the
adoption of #ecofriendly vehicles in #Zimbabwe. The service was launched
today in partnership with @stewardbank.

Vaya
This makes the logistics company the first to have electric vehicles for use
in the transport sector which is a pretty cool feat. The vehicle in question
is a Nissan Leaf and it appears to be the 2011 model – car aficionados
correct me if I’m wrong.

The 2011 model had a 160KM range – which won’t be an issue if the car is
only in the CBD. It seats 5 passengers and has battery pack outputting 90
kilowatts of power. The top speed is capped at 144 KM/h in order to reserve
power.

Back in May when Masiwa posted about the Electric Vehicle he mentioned the
following with regards to how these vehicles will be used:

The EV’s will operate within a 3KM radius within the CBD
They will be recharged at solar-powered charging stations by Vaya’s sister
company DPA
Vaya will have 100 EVs on the road at some point
One distinction to make though is that when Strive Masiyiwa talked about
electric vehicles he was specifically referring to a 3-wheeled vehicle which
they were calling Vaya Hopper at that time.
[© techzim.co.zw]
https://www.google.com/search?q=Zimbabwe+electric

+
https://techstartups.com/2019/11/25/hyundai-launches-first-car-solar-roof-charging-system/
Hyundai launches first car with solar roof charging system
  ... Electricity is produced when solar energy activates the solar panel's
surface, which converts this ...
https://techstartups.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Hyundai-launches-first-car-with-solar-roof-charging-system.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://www.evdl.org/archive/