EVLN: Veolia upcycled/converted Westminster.uk garbage e-Trucks

EVLN: Veolia upcycled/converted Westminster.uk garbage e-Trucks

https://waste-management-world.com/a/veolia-trialling-two-upcycled-electric-refuse-collection-trucks-in-westminster
Veolia Trialling Two ‘Upcycled’ Electric Refuse Collection Trucks in
Westminster
2019-09-03  Ben Messenger

[image
https://imgs.waste-management-world.com/m/2794_1_800-0-1.85_.jpg
]

End-of-Life Diesel Waste Collection Vehicles Refurbished & Converted as EVs

In partnership with Westminster City Council, Veolia is trialling two
‘upcycled’ electric Refuse Collection Vehicles (eRCV) on the streets of
London.

The company explained that the two 26 tonne collection vehicles previously
ran on diesel and were reaching the end of their life. However, instead of
scrapping them, Veolia and Westminster City Council have upcycled them to
as-new condition with new electric engines that will improve air quality and
exceed the requirements of the Ultra Low Emissions Zone in central London.

According to Veolia, the vehicles have been engineered to solve the
industry-wide challenge of eRCV battery life. The electric engine will only
release power when the vehicle is active, rather than running continuously,
as is required by diesel models.

This means that despite power-draining factors that include fluctuating
vehicle weight, frequent stops and starts, and multiple operations of the
bin lift, they are expected to efficiently run for a full shift with no
emissions produced.

The two year trial is part of Westminster City Council and Veolia’s long
term plan to improve air quality and increase the number of electric
vehicles on the city’s streets. If successful, the vehicles will make daily
recycling and refuse collections cleaner and greener, and accelerate the
transition to zero-emission heavy goods vehicles in central London.

Gavin Graveson, Executive Vice President for Veolia UK and Ireland, said:
“This project highlights Veolia’s on-going investment in clean air solutions
in London and across the UK. By converting existing vehicles and trialling
alternative fleet solutions with forward thinking local authority partners
like Westminster City Council, we are not only preserving resources but are
lowering emissions and creating greener cities.”

Cllr Tim Mitchell, Westminster City Council’s Deputy Leader, said: “Tackling
pollution in London is an ongoing battle, and this pilot is just one of the
many ways we’re making our daily operations cleaner and greener. I am proud
to see electric vehicle innovation like this out on the streets of
Westminster, keeping our borough clean without sacrificing air quality.”

The project is backed by a grant from the Innovation Funding Service
(Innovate UK) which has allowed for the 18 month renovation process as well
the upcoming two year trial. The project has also converted an additional
two RCVs that will be used in trials in Sheffield.
[© waste-management-world.com]

+ (EVSE.uk to explore Victoria’s Surf Coast)
https://www.miragenews.com/new-electric-vehicle-charging-station-opens-in-torquay/
New Electric Vehicle Charging Station Opens In Torquay
September 4, 2019  A new electric vehicle fast charging station will boost
tourism and make it quicker and easier for drivers to explore Victoria's
Surf Coast thanks to funding from the ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Coast_Shire