EVLN: Volvo Polestar2 4dr fastback-shape EV r:300mi

EVLN: Volvo Polestar2 4dr fastback-shape EV r:300mi

% Anyone old-timer enough to remember when caranddriver.com was poo-poo'ing
EVs and wanted nothing to do with them? %

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25737679/polestar-2-volvo-confirmed-2020/
Volvo's New Polestar 2 EV Is Coming This Year with 400 HP and 300 Miles of
Range
Jan 3, 2019  Joey Capparella

[images
https://hips.hearstapps.com/amv-prod-cad-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Volvo-40.2-concept-100.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/polestar-2-teaser-1546545516.jpg
]

Here's what we know about this new electric four-door that's targeting the
Tesla Model 3.

Volvo's new EV-focused Polestar division is wasting no time fleshing out its
lineup. A new fully electric vehicle called the Polestar 2 is coming
sometime this year to follow the Polestar 1 plug-in-hybrid coupe. Along with
the first teaser image that shows a glimpse at the rear end, we also have a
fair amount of preliminary information about what to expect from Polestar's
second model.

Given that Polestar says the 2 has a "four-door fastback" shape, we think it
will look a lot like Volvo's 40.2 concept from a few years ago, pictured
below, that ostensibly previewed the impending Volvo S40 sedan. Like the
Polestar 1, which is loosely based on the S90 sedan, it seems like the
Polestar 2 will have some link with Volvo's 40-series models, which ride on
an architecture shared with parent company Geely called CMA.
image

The Polestar's construction, however, will accommodate a large battery pack
said to provide around 300 miles of range. Power output will be about 400
horsepower, and we predict the vehicle will have all-wheel drive, either
standard or optional. Polestar says it will be priced in the Tesla Model 3's
orbit, which means it should cost between $40,000 and $50,000 to start. A
new Google Android–based infotainment system with Google Assistant
integration will be on hand.

The Polestar 2 will make its official debut within the next few months, and
it will likely go on sale later in the year as a 2020 model. While Polestar
will allow buyers to purchase the 2 in cash, the company is pushing a
subscription model similar to the Care by Volvo system, which charges an
all-inclusive monthly fee. Polestar will also eschew traditional dealerships
in favor of showrooms, called Polestar Spaces, that allow customers to see
the vehicles. The eventual purchase, though, will take place online.
[© caranddriver.com]
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=caranddriver&sort=date

https://electrek.co/2019/01/03/volvo-polestar-2-first-image-tesla-model-3-competitor/
Volvo’s Polestar releases first image of its all-electric ‘Tesla Model 3
competitor’
Jan. 3rd 2019  That said, if you are launching a new electric vehicle brand,
Tesla should definitely be on top of your list when it comes to a brand you
want to be competitive ...

https://insideevs.com/polestar-2-electric-car-image-specs-released/
Polestar 2 Electric Car: First Image / Specs Released
JAN 3 2019  A true Tesla Model 3 competitor? Perhaps. However, only a few
details are known at this point in time. Therefore, we’ll leave judgment for
a later date ...

+
https://www.treehugger.com/cars/california-utilities-will-pay-you-drive-electric.html
California utilities will pay you to drive electric
December 28, 2018  In California ... SCE is offering $1000 to customers in
2019, while PG&E is offering $800 ... these utility-based offers ... open to
anyone who owns an electric car new or even if you buy a used electric
vehicle ...
https://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2015/10/used-nissan-leaf.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

Re: EVLN: Volvo Polestar2 4dr fastback-shape EV r:300mi

On 7 Jan 2019 at 2:02, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Anyone old-timer enough to remember when caranddriver.com was
> poo-poo'ing EVs and wanted nothing to do with them?

Of course!  :-)

I think they were the ones who panned the "Aesop" (a Toyota Paseo
conversion).  But they also expressed a (limited and slightly grudging)
admiration for the first prototype of the Renaissance Tropica.

http://www.evdl.org/docs/tropica_cd.pdf

The early prototype they tested was, in my view, a potential winner, at
least on looks.  Unlike the sort-of produced Tropica / Zebra, which looked
like a Corvette wannabe from the back and like a squashed jack-o-lantern
from the front, it had a (to me) gorgeous classic open roadster look.

The above pdf is just the text of the C&D article, which I typed in for the
EVDL around 1994.  Alas, I've since lost the magazine, and thus the photos.
Maybe one of these days I'll hit the library and see if I can find the
original article, at least on microfilm.