EVLN: What's the worst EV ever?

brucedp5
This post was updated on .

http://jalopnik.com/whats-the-worst-electric-car-ever-made-1456776980
What's The Worst Electric Car Ever Made?
by Patrick George  [2013/11/01]

[image
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1950ju5tbksrjjpg/ku-bigpic.jpg
Writer pointing at his Th!nk City EV
]

Electric cars — they're the future! Except that just like petroleum-powered cars, some of them are absolutely terrible. We can't all be astronauts, and not all EVs can be the Model S.

Electric cars have been making a serious comeback in the last decade or so, but they're actually quite a bit older than the car-buying public seems to think. Plenty of electrics were running around in the early 1900s before they were supplanted by gasoline-powered cars. There are more of them out there than people realize, so there are tons of bad ones to choose from.

So here's our question for the day: What's the worst electric car ever made?

My vote goes to the Th!nk City, which was a delight to run into a few months ago here in D.C. at a charging station where it stood out among the sea of Teslas, Volts and Leafs (Leaves?)

Anyway, the Th!nk was a Grade-A piece of crap. How would you like to pay $36,000 for a glorified golf cart with a 100-mile range that looks like it was made out of leftover Pontiac Aztek plastic body cladding and had an interior that made a 1990s Mitsubishi seem like the inside of a Bentley?

The good news is they didn't get any of our tax dollars before they filed for bankruptcy. For the third time. That's dedication right there.
[© jalopnik.com]

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

Here are today's archive-only EV posts:

EVLN: £28,500 Fleeting with Focus Electrics ts:84mph 0-62mph:11s
EVLN: Leaf Debuts as Guam's First Electric Car
EVLN: Third time’s the charm for Smart EV
EVLN: W18.9M GM Korea Spark EVs for the domestic market r:135km
EVLN: Right-hand drive Tesla-S by March 2014
+
EVLN: Plenty of haters who don't want to see electric dragsters (video)

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: What's the worst EV ever?

robert winfield
"Anyway, the Th!nk was a Grade-A piece of crap. How would you like to pay
$36,000 for a glorified ...."
ummm, this is more than 2x what folks bought them for here in DC. more like appx $15,000

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:53 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]> wrote:

EVLN: What's the worst EV ever?

[...]

Any time you design a vehicle that's different from the norm in some
fundamental way, you're going to get barbs from the automotive press.  They
just don't much like different vehicles.

The Think was in many ways a pretty good idea for its time.  IIRC, it had a
lightweight plastic body with the color molded into the panels.  It needed
larger body gaps than metal because of plastic's expansion coefficient.  Of
course the auto "journalists" slammed them for that.  And - horrors - they
had a matte finish, not a glossy one.

In their tiny world, it matters not how effective EVs are at doing what we
buy an EV for - carting you from place to place.  All that matters is, do
they look like everything else on the road?

Re: EVLN: What's the worst EV ever?

damon henry
I see a Think City driving near my house frequently.  I guess there is at least one out there that is still up and running with a happy owner :)
damon

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 11:48:02 -0500
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: What's the worst EV ever?
>
> Any time you design a vehicle that's different from the norm in some
> fundamental way, you're going to get barbs from the automotive press.  They
> just don't much like different vehicles.
>
> The Think was in many ways a pretty good idea for its time.  IIRC, it had a
> lightweight plastic body with the color molded into the panels.  It needed
> larger body gaps than metal because of plastic's expansion coefficient.  Of
> course the auto "journalists" slammed them for that.  And - horrors - they
> had a matte finish, not a glossy one.
>
> In their tiny world, it matters not how effective EVs are at doing what we
> buy an EV for - carting you from place to place.  All that matters is, do
> they look like everything else on the road?
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: EVLN: What's the worst EV ever?

Collin Kidder
I've got two Think City cars here. One belongs to the owner of our business
for his use and the other is a company car we use for business errands and
sometimes employees drive it home to save on gas. Are they Tesla Roadsters?
Of course not. But, they're reasonable cars. They aren't fast, they don't
have huge range, but they do have enough range to do most things. There are
a variety of stupid design decisions that were made on these cars but I
wouldn't call them the worst EV ever. They were over priced new but lots of
people bought the demo and spare cars after the company went bankrupt.
Those prices were more in the 11-16k range. The cars were worth that much.

My vote for the actual most over priced EV goes to the Transit Connect
Electric vehicles that Azure Dynamics did. They cost more than twice the
price of the gas version. It's no wonder nobody bought them. I believe they
*did* take government money.