EVLN: Why you can’t buy Honda’s 2014 Fit EV in North America

EVLN: Why you can’t buy Honda’s 2014 Fit EV in North America

brucedp5

Honda limited the production of the 2014 Fit EV to 40 cars per month

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/you-can-t-buy-honda-s-2014-fit-ev-north-america
You can’t buy Honda’s 2014 Fit EV in North America
By Parks McCants  2014-01-31

[image
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-1/2014-honda-fit-ev-exterior-side.jpg
2014 Honda Fit EV
]

While that may read a bit strangely to the Honda loyal and electric car enthusiasts, Honda’s only true electric car available in North America is not for sale. Today we look at the 2014 Fit EV.

As Honda cautiously enters the electric car arena, it comes to light that the only ‘true’ all electric car in the Honda line up will be painfully limited in production and available to a very exclusive group of “well qualified” lessees. It becomes very apparent that Honda’s focus for future automotive development is displayed in the not too distant future FCEV and current Civic, Accord, CR-V, CR-X and 2015 Fit and Vezel Hybrids.

Honda for reasons known only to Honda has limited the production of the 2014 Fit EV to 40 cars per month.

According to the company website, production of the Fit Ev will be limited to 1100 units in the first 2 years. With distribution limited to California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland and Rhode Island. My guess is these states offer alternative fueled vehicle tax credits and express lane privileges.

For Honda, market placement is one of calculated risk, logical and strategic progression.

We also know that West Coast Los Angeles and Orange County has the toughest emission standard in the U.S.; with New York and the Eastern Seaboard a close second.

Torrance, Ca. is home base to American Honda Motors and within a few hours of Sacramento, Ca. resides ‘Green’ advocate and alternative transportation promoter Governor Jerry Brown.

California has partnered with Honda on several projects as demonstrated recently by the state’s $100 million matching fund hydrogen refueling network.

Apparently Honda remains cautiously optimistic as to the marketability of a ‘ true’ stand -alone EV.
We at Honda-Torque News find this revelation to be a bit disheartening, but from a marketing standpoint acknowledge Honda’s caution.

For those fortunate enough to secure a lease on the Fit EV, Honda is offering a 3-year/ $259 month lease, with $259 + tax, license and delivery at time of signing.

Reading the bottom line we discover that the ‘release’ is limited. Actually reading the fine print we discover that Honda has no intention of releasing or allowing a buy-out at the end of lease.

Interestingly enough, this program appears to be a bold experiment on behalf of American Honda Motors. As of today, the February allotment of the Fit EV is leased out. It becomes very apparent that America is ready, willing and able to purchase the Honda Fit EV.

Looking to the specifications of the car we find the Fit EV to be exceptional as to stated torque, range and battery technological advances.

As with all EVs, Honda warns the end user that actual MPG e will vary, and will be affected by swings in temperature, driving conditions, terrain, speed , etc… What we do like is Honda’s lithium-Ion battery cell and integrated “quick charge” system. Honda is including a home base 220 amp charging station as part of the lease package. Charging time? 3/ 6 hours.

Note: The quick charge system will take the batteries to 17% in 30 minutes from the low battery warning.

For extending range, Honda has integrated a 3 position drive mode button. This affords the driver an economy, regular drive and performance option when needed for passing. You’ll also find this option in the 2014 Accord Hybrid and FX-R Sports Hybrid.

The “ Earth Dreams” Honda electric motor is rated at 92 KW and produces 189 lb-ft pounds of torque. To put this into perspective, a gasoline powered Fit produces 107 lb-ft pounds; 70% less than the electric variant.

The car delivers torque off the line and throughout the driving range. For those wishing to read the Fit EV’s specifications, you can find them here. The rest of the car is all Honda Fit.

You will either love the Fit or you won’t. Improved for 2014-2015, you’ll find a nicer ‘soft surface’ interior, decent finishes and an independent suspension ride. And of course, Honda electronic personal interface second to none. Including a cellphone application to time or turn off the charger remotely.

The majority of our readers have reported a very positive ownership experience with the gasoline variant Fit Sport. We have no reason to believe that the Fit EV will not live up to Honda quality standards. However, until Honda or another major automotive manufacturer steps up to the plate with a mass produced and marketed EV, the car will fall in line with other small EV cult classics.

While a viable EV doesn't have to be the size of a Tesla S,, or have the power to beat a Corvette at the drag strip to be successful in the U.S., it does have to hit the market at an affordable price point with a battery pack that will live the distance of average car ownership.

In the U.S., a rising cost of initial investment has dictated an extended length of title for most car owners. An EV with a substantially higher initial cost of investment can’t be the exception to the rule. For EVs to take a prominent position in the future of automotive history, battery technological and subsiquent development must jump light years ahead as to capacity and discharge rates.

We are hopeful that battery development and storage cell body panel development as demonstrated by Volvo will spawn the next generation of affordable, long range and long life EVs, soon... Very soon Honda...
[© torquenews.com]

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

Here are today's archive-only EV posts:

EVLN: BYD supplying EVs for London e-taxis
EVLN: Quebec's BYD Electric Bus trials, report
EVLN: Tork FZ Electric is India’s Battery Powered Brutality
EVLN: Drivers' "Charge Rage" over unplugged vehicles
EVLN: Seen a Tesla EV today?
+
EVLN: Llewellyn L3's his Leaf 9 times on London to Edinburgh trip

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Why you can’t buy Honda’s 2014 Fit EV in North America

Bob Bath
Honda has always limited supply with new models to hype demand.  This time, they made a bad decision and will lose me forever to Nissan, as Carlos Ghosn came to the dance first and staked his career on my ' 13 LEAF.
87 Accord
89 Accord
92 civic (converted to EV)
98 odyssey
Daughter's 98 accord

A shame since I had the 97 EV plus demoed for my middle school science students and got to drive it at the end of the day...

If this message is short and is filled with typos, good bet it came from Bob's iPod

On Feb 5, 2014, at 1:34 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> development as demonstrated by Volvo will spawn the next generation of
> affordable, long range and long life EVs, soon... Very soon Honda...
> [© torquenews.com]
>

> For all EVLN posts use:
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
>
> Here are today's archive-only EV posts:
>
> EVLN: BYD supplying EVs for London e-taxis
> EVLN: Quebec's BYD Electric Bus trials, report
> EVLN: Tork FZ Electric is India’s Battery Powered Brutality
> EVLN: Drivers' "Charge Rage" over unplugged vehicles
> EVLN: Seen a Tesla EV today?
> +
> EVLN: Llewellyn L3's his Leaf 9 times on London to Edinburgh trip
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: Why you can’t buy Honda’s 2014 Fit EV in North America

Mark Abramowitz
On Feb 6, 2014, at 5:51 AM, Bob Bath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Honda has always limited supply with new models to hype demand.

How would this hype demand?

More likely, as happened with you, people move on to something else.

My guess is that they do this because they are such a conservative company, and don't like to see new models sitting on the lots.

Re: EVLN: Why you can't buy Honda's 2014 Fit EV in North America

Ruckus
They are motivated by profit.  ICE = $$$

Electric cars have a much slimmer margin.  EV = $

Sounds like EV1 all over again...

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Mark Abramowitz <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2014, at 5:51 AM, Bob Bath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Honda has always limited supply with new models to hype demand.
>
> How would this hype demand?
>
> More likely, as happened with you, people move on to something else.
>
> My guess is that they do this because they are such a conservative
> company, and don't like to see new models sitting on the lots.

Marcus Reddish

Re: EVLN: Why you can't buy Honda's 2014 Fit EV in North America

brucedp5
I do not like it either that, like other automakers, Honda is only doing
what they 'have-to' (following the letter of the mandate/regs/law) to be
able to sell the more profitable ice.

IMO some of the blame goes to the way the CARB mandate/regs are written,
and the decision making of that board (they like h2fcvs, etc.). It could
have been done better.

Currently, Honda is selling the Fit EV, manufactured in small hand-made
quantities. That keeps their production costs down, rather than the more
expensive commitment to an actual production line like what Nissan did.

Ford did a half split by taking a portion of their focus ice off the
production line before their get ice installed (pros: cost savings,
cons: still a retrofitted ice). This might have worked for Ford but they
fumbled the sales and flubbed on the design (dealers did/do not want to
sell EVs, and the Focus EV has no L3 charging, multiple driving-modes,
etc.).

I am praying that each one of the compliance car EVs is only an interim
stage, and that automakers will eventually get on-board.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 09:31 AM, Marcus Reddish wrote:

> They are motivated by profit.  ICE = $$$
>
> Electric cars have a much slimmer margin.  EV = $
>
> Sounds like EV1 all over again...
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Mark Abramowitz
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On Feb 6, 2014, at 5:51 AM, Bob Bath <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Honda has always limited supply with new models to hype demand.
> >
> > How would this hype demand?
> >
> > More likely, as happened with you, people move on to something else.
> >
> > My guess is that they do this because they are such a conservative
> > company, and don't like to see new models sitting on the lots.

> Marcus Reddish

http://www.fastmail.fm - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service

Re: EVLN: Why you can't buy Honda's 2014 Fit EV in North America

EVDL Administrator
On 6 Feb 2014 at 9:56, Bruce EVangel Parmenter wrote:

> [Maybe] each one of the compliance car EVs is only an interim stage,
> and that automakers will eventually get on-board.

Call me cynical, but I think it's more likely that they're waiting for a
change in the US political landscape, so they can just abandon them.

At least they're not suing CARB this time - yet.

Re: EVLN: Why you can't buy Honda's 2014 Fit EV in North America

Chris Tromley
Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I think I can offer some insight.

Honda is widely recognized as the leader in ICE technology.  NO ONE builds
an ICE better than Honda.  Honda as an organization sees this as the
definition of their position in the industry.  Soichiro once described
himself as having oil in his veins.  This is not a corporate identity that
is going to change easily.

Their engineers, in every discipline, are also top notch.  Note that the
EV1 got all the press because it was a flashy sports car, but the Honda EV+
was a greater engineering achievement.  The challenges in auto design are
in the compromises, and there are many more to handle in a family sedan
than a sports car.  The fact that Honda built the EV+ with a
paradigm-shifting drivetrain, and it still worked as seamlessly as a
garden-variety Accord is a stunning example of engineering competence.

There are no devious profit motives or conspiracies at work here.  Honda is
fully capable of building the world's best EV.  We know that because
they've done it before.  Their head is simply not in the right place.  I
hope that changes.

Chris