EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

brucedp5

% Inve$tment trolling, easier than Better-Place pack swap,
  but why does their trailer need a spoiler? %

http://www.torquenews.com/397/boosting-ev-range-ebuggy-mobile-battery-packs
[image&video] Boosting EV range with ebuggy mobile battery packs
By Don Bain  09/19/2012

[image   PRNewswire
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_size/image-397/%5Btitle-raw%5D/PRNE-eBuggy-Car-1y-1High.jpg
The ebuggy team with the prototype that has been proven effective.

video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TyQC7z0P2zE
Global solution for long distance electric mobility - ebuggy
Aug 4, 2012 by ebuggy01
The first lap has been completed. The ebuggy prototype is finished and has proved successful. ebuggy is starting the second lap: test series production and network trials.
]

Would an electric vehicle make more sense if a rentable two-wheel battery pack ebuggy from e-Mobility could be hooked up when you need to extend range beyond a daily commute?

In Stuttgart, ebuggy GmbH is betting it would and the prototype ebuggy has been completed and shows great promise in initial testing. The concept would provide unrestricted range to EVs in a commercially and logistically applicable model. The company plans a network of relay stations where EV drivers can hitch up battery trailers.

When embarking on an extended journey, the ebuggy battery trailer can be hooked up at an ebuggy relay station extending the range of the vehicle by hundreds of miles. On arrival the battery trailer is dropped off at the final service station. If the journey is even longer, the trailers can be exchanged when necessary so the true range would be unlimited. Switching out units requires only two minutes.

"ebuggy allows the automotive industry to build reasonably priced electric vehicles with a smaller battery, because ebuggy is available for longer distances. As a result, electric cars will become cheaper than vehicles with a combustion engine and e-mobility will be able to assert itself rapidly and dynamically," stated Dr. Manfred Baumgärtner, Managing Director of ebuggy GmbH.

The range extending EV accessory was developed with the support of Germany's Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi) and project partners like the Fraunhofer Institut IPA and Stuttgart University. First stage testing revealed the concept performs exactly as intended when transferred from the drawing board (or computer screen) to the real world.

The company plans to develop and deploy the product in major markets over a four-stage process. The first stage has been completed and the second stage is just beginning.

The next level of development involves creating preparedness for serial production and planning the first station networking trials. Parties interested in becoming part of the eventual relay system are invited to participate in this stage.

ebuggy GmbH is the company developing the ebuggy mobility concept, including battery trailer and relay stations for series-production readiness. They will also develop the international ebuggy network with subsidiaries in important automotive markets.

Such importance will be established by the sales of electric cars in various markets, but it would seem a practical answer to range anxiety has been developed in the private sector, removing any need for governmental involvement in infrastructure development – brilliant!

The trailer is so short the resulting overall length of say a Nissan Leaf and the trailer would be about the same as a full-size sedan. Furthermore most electric cars have plenty of torque – so much it is frequently limited electronically. Additionally, the low-slung ebuggy trailer has its own air spoiler to lower its coefficient of drag from the air flowing over the top of the EV.

So will the next thing be a sensor that detects the use of an external power supply and consequently boosts drive torque? This solution to EV range may be the next big thing in EV evolution - the electric vehicle's equivalent to the gas station. If they are smart they'll add squeegees and windshield cleaning solution to the mix.

Of course, the impetus to innovation brought on by the perceived impact of CAFE, if not the actual letter of the law (with a nod to Aaron Turpen’s analysis), is such that other solutions to limited range are sure to be forthcoming.

Remember the automotive jump-start packs that charged up at home and then were carried as a back-up battery? As battery technology progresses, EVs could be made with modular or collateral power packs to be added internally when extra range is needed and removed for daily driving when the weight would simply not be necessary.

The inevitable transition to alternative transportation including electric mobility is only just beginning and the wonders to come may exceed our wildest dreams – researchers have recently teleported a single subatomic particle a short distance. Chances are it will be a long time before such research changes our daily lives – but it will someday.
[© 2012 torquenews.com ]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
For all EVLN posts | Here are today's stealth-posted topics:

EVLN: Super Air Nautique 230 E high-performance electric-boat
EVLN: Adding Electrics to fleets to mitigate against more fuel panics
EVLN: No Charger Left Behind: The Problem of Abandoned EVSE
EVLN: The market is wrestling with what to charge for charging
+
EVLN: Ken LaBrecque's S-10 conversion has solar on-board

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

David Nelson-5
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> % Inve$tment trolling, easier than Better-Place pack swap,
>   but why does their trailer need a spoiler? %

The answer is in the article.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

brucedp5
Thanks David, my sleepy eyes missed that.
So by adding a spoiler on the pack-trailer, it lowers the drag
coefficient of the air flowing over the top of the EV. I never heard of
that before.

Does it matter what type of spoiler design because the EVs that are
being marketed to will likely be all different? I mean would the design
shown be good for a short EV but not for either a long or tall EV?

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service

Re: EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

David Nelson-5
I've wondered that my self. I'm assuming that maybe the wide verticals
are also important. It maybe breaks up the turbulence to make things
flow more smoothly. As for tow vehicle, who knows. I bet it does
matter. Just watching the water spray patterns behind different cars
when it is wet out shows there is a definite difference. Some have
very little spray, others have a huge amount. I wonder if they tested
things in a wind tunnel.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Bruce EVangel Parmenter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks David, my sleepy eyes missed that.
> So by adding a spoiler on the pack-trailer, it lowers the drag
> coefficient of the air flowing over the top of the EV. I never heard of
> that before.
>
> Does it matter what type of spoiler design because the EVs that are
> being marketed to will likely be all different? I mean would the design
> shown be good for a short EV but not for either a long or tall EV?
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012, at 01:50 PM, David Nelson wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > % Inve$tment trolling, easier than Better-Place pack swap,
>> >   but why does their trailer need a spoiler? %
>>
>> The answer is in the article.
>>
>> > Additionally, the low-slung ebuggy trailer has its own air
>> > spoiler to lower its coefficient of drag from the air flowing over the top
>> > of the EV.
>> --
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service

David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com
http://www.levforum.com

Re: EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

Dennis Miles
Nice idea, requires a huge infrastructure with trailer mounted battery
packs available up and down the highways and a modification to the EV of a
inlet for the battery trailer's cord, and a hitch on the EV.  The airfoil
looks cute stylistically and when looking out the rear window while backing
(Reversing) it enables the driver to locate the rear of the trailer and
avoid jackknifing.
Regards,
*     Dennis *(EVprofessor)* Miles*
  *(863)944-9913* (phone noon to midnight E.S.T.)
*    reply to [hidden email]*
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 4:55 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> particle a short distance. Chances are it will be a long time before such
> research changes our daily lives – but it will someday.
> [© 2012 torquenews.com ]
>

> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date
> For all EVLN posts | Here are today's stealth-posted topics:
>
> EVLN: Super Air Nautique 230 E high-performance electric-boat
> EVLN: Adding Electrics to fleets to mitigate against more fuel panics
> EVLN: No Charger Left Behind: The Problem of Abandoned EVSE
> EVLN: The market is wrestling with what to charge for charging
> +
> EVLN: Ken LaBrecque's S-10 conversion has solar on-board
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}

> Nabble.com.

Re: EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

Sorry, I see it as mostly styling notice the color scheme on their EV has a
higher portion behind the side windows also...
Regards,
*     Dennis *(EVprofessor)* Miles*
  *(863)944-9913* (phone noon to midnight E.S.T.)
*    reply to [hidden email]*
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Bruce EVangel Parmenter <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks David, my sleepy eyes missed that.
> So by adding a spoiler on the pack-trailer, it lowers the drag
> coefficient of the air flowing over the top of the EV. I never heard of
> that before.
>
> Does it matter what type of spoiler design because the EVs that are
> being marketed to will likely be all different? I mean would the design
> shown be good for a short EV but not for either a long or tall EV?
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}
>

> -
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012, at 01:50 PM, David Nelson wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM, brucedp5 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > % Inve$tment trolling, easier than Better-Place pack swap,
> > >   but why does their trailer need a spoiler? %
> >
> > The answer is in the article.
> >
> > > Additionally, the low-slung ebuggy trailer has its own air
> > > spoiler to lower its coefficient of drag from the air flowing over the
> top
> > > of the EV.
> > --
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service

Re: EVLN: ebuggy rentable addon-pack-trailer ... !More Range Scotty!

JerryBattery
It's sure to be a good product for EV enthusiasts, but for general
transportation, I think it is good for rental business since it's difficult
for this trailer to match any other EV on the road.